can we make our own rules in tarot?

yogiman

There are numerous positional spreads, and on top of that we have the choice to use reversed cards, in what way to deal with elemental dignities, and how far to stretch the meaning of each card. Seems we can set a rule, and it becomes a tool in the hands of the divinatory gods to ease our way in the tarot labyrinth, or does it?

I can find at least one case which seems to reject this theory, and that is the yes/no question. In case the tarot could answer yes/no questions, even if not completely perfect, we could live in a near perfect world. So the question is: what is wrong with my thinking, and how should we adapt the theory.

Padma

Yogiman, if it helps, my view after many decades of doing the tarot is that it speaks to each person in a different and personal way - it speaks to each person in their own language. So I think you can use the tarot however you need to, and it will make itself quite understood.

Myself I have asked yes or no questions with it and it has always been accurate in the answers.

So I think it doesn't matter how you read, ask, or spread the cards, it will talk to you in a way you will understand.

:)

The crowned one

I tried everything: yes/no, time, lotto numbers you name it. I put no limitations on tarot, but tarot set limitations for me to use it as a divinationary tool through its consistent failures and success's over time.

aranarose

Somebody, somewhere in time, made up everything we know about tarot. Most of it has evolved over time. As you work with the Tarot, you'll find what does and doesn't work for you, and it may or may not be the same as someone else.

If you want, throw out all the rulebooks and make it up as you go along.

THAT IS OKAY!

VGimlet

You have to find what works for you.

Some folks are most comfortable using rules made up by others, who found what worked for them and if using those rules works for you also, that is great.

Some folks start out using the rules while they are learning tarot, and then start experimenting with what works and doesn't work for them as an individual later. Still others start out by throwing all the common knowledge out the window to start.

As far as yes/no questions, the idea tarot cards answer those questions near-perfectly is based on a supposition the reader interprets the cards correctly nearly every time.

yogiman

As far as yes/no questions, the idea tarot cards answer those questions near-perfectly is based on a supposition the reader interprets the cards correctly nearly every time.

Sorry i am so tenacious, and apologizes to aranarose, because i liked her reply. As a matter of fact i reported a yes/no question in some previous post of mine, and just i felt the confidence. But reality tells it is not really possible. Suppose the best tarot reader in the world makes the agreement with her unconscious that a minor signifies no, and court or trump signifies yes, then many interrogators would be out of job. Maybe this is a ridiculous example, but how and where do you put a limit?

ravenest

There are numerous positional spreads, and on top of that we have the choice to use reversed cards, in what way to deal with elemental dignities, and how far to stretch the meaning of each card. Seems we can set a rule, and it becomes a tool in the hands of the divinatory gods to ease our way in the tarot labyrinth, or does it?

I can find at least one case which seems to reject this theory, and that is the yes/no question. In case the tarot could answer yes/no questions, even if not completely perfect, we could live in a near perfect world. So the question is: what is wrong with my thinking, and how should we adapt the theory.

BEEE - UTIFUL Yogiman ! by including 'what is wrong with my thinking' in the OP you have removed the 'meta-discussion' block on my favourite subject <happy dance>

NOW ! <rubs his hands together ... getting ready to answer>

What is wrong with your thinking?

Ahem! ... nothing - my friend , nothing at all!

IMO it is up to you what system you use ... to make it valuable to you an internal consistency is required and an 'internal logic' (within the system or set of ideas itself) .

This can be termed 'Your magical theory of the Universe' it doesn't have to be applicable to anyone else but should follow some rules like the above ones otherwise .... well it just turns to confused mush and wont help you navigate.

Another way of looking at it is one of main (out of 4) principles of a healthy and balanced psyche is 'Review the internal map' i.e. make sure , every so often that the way you view things (your' magical theory of the Universe') is updates and cross checked with outside reality, changes and developments and discoveries in the world and environment you live in.

With your background you be able to bend and stretch the 'traditions' to make a system that suits YOU.

I don't use tarot for a yes no question ... I flip a coin :)

If it is a question of what to do I use I ching

If it is a question more of why and what fore I use tarot.

If none of that works I subjugate with .... ;)

Richard

I abhor positional spreads, which put interpretive constraints on the cards according to their placement. I draw a few cards (most often just a single card) and 'let them speak' according to my understanding. I usually avoid anything which strikes me as gimmicky, such as reversals or elemental dignities.

I'm not very keen on yes-no questions, as it presumes that reality is constrained by a simplistic 2-valued logic. Even I Ching, which is a binary system, requires at least 6 bits (the hexagram) for full functionality. Which reminds me that Aleister Crowley may have used I Ching more than Tarot for the more important issues (a rather strong impression that I got from Richard Kaczynsk's Perdurabo).

geoxena

There are rules in tarot??? ;)

ravenest

Yep ...

1. You need some cards .

2. you need to look at the (right side) of at least one of them

3. The rest is up to you.