What's so great about the Jacques Vieville Tarot?

prudence

Robert, I want to address what you have said in the previous post...but will do so when I have more of a clue as to what I am talking about. ;)

But, I have another question...

Who is depicted on the Sun card? Is that St. James the Greater? (I hope I have the right Saint...I am only studying them as they relate to Vodou)...yeah, leave it to me to find the saints via Vodou.:D

le pendu

I honestly don't know.. but James seems as good a candidate as any! I love him, (he's my patron saint).

He's certainly connected to Pilgrams, Crusades, Spain.

Take a look at the Cary-Sheet:
http://highway55.library.yale.edu/PHOTONEGIMG/zoom/Z361/z3613378.jpg

It's interesting to ponder if the two Sun cards are related, here's Andy's suggestion for a possibility of the Cary Sheet with missing parts. Makes me think of the Vieville:
http://it.geocities.com/a_pollett/cards69.htm

Of course.. it's also interesting to see what ended up on the Waite/Smith Sun card!
http://www.tarotpedia.com/wiki/index.php/Image:WCS_vA_Sun.jpg

It's great that you're asking so many questions.. sorry I don't have any answers.. but then.. we wouldn't have a mystery then would we?

:)

Sheri

Thanks for starting this thread, Robert!

I had heard of the Vieville but had not paid that much attention to it before now. I admit I have not been a fan of the TdM or these "older" style decks because of the primitive art. But I had decided to embrace them and see what they are all about. I have a Hadar, a Grimaud, and a Visconti now. I really didn't expect that I could work with the cards at all...

However, just reading this thread and seeing the images of the cards...there is something cool and fun about this deck! I really like the pips - they present a "target rich" environment for reading :D I like this deck ALOT more than the Hadar, the Grimaud and even the Visconti (which is stunningly beautiful).

Regarding the Chariot - I was immediately struck by the heads of the "critters" pulling the Chariot - I haven't checked out the links to other threads yet so I apologize in advance if I am completely off on this - but I was thinking what if the reason the heads look like people is because they are supposed to be people? The first thing I thought of when I saw this card was ambition...and the old saying "getting ahead on the backs of others" or something like that. What if these guys were the enemies of the Charioteer and they have been conquered and made to be his beasts of burden for the rest of their lives? Or maybe they are choosing to be there for some reason - some sort of a parallel representation to a Devil card? I like the suggestions that they represent different aspects of the Charioteer himself. Sort of keeping himself under control :)

Argh! I'm off to TG to see if they have this deck because I have to have it now!

:love: valeria

prudence

He's your patron saint?? How is that then?:)

I have been reading a bit about Vodou recently and I wonder if you might enjoy a serious Googling of "sacred twins" on the internet. They are a big part of African and Haitian Vodou(n)....

Not that I am in any way seeing a link between the creation of the TdM and Vodou!! (yes, it was early Vodoussiants who created the Tarot!!):D I am just really enjoying the connections that seem to be there, or that I think are there...The Sun card is one that recently has been intriguing me, with the depiction of who I am assuming is St James....who is one of the images seen in the Vodou system....

prudence

Valeria, I am sorry to say that the TG is out of the Vieville....at the moment. (unless something has changed recently) But, last I looked Alida still had some. They are very good as per service and their prices are surprising (in a good way) considering they are in EU.

le pendu

prudence said:
He's your patron saint?? How is that then?:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_James_the_Great
(July 25th is his feast day)
prudence said:
I have been reading a bit about Vodou recently and I wonder if you might enjoy a serious Googling of "sacred twins" on the internet. They are a big part of African and Haitian Vodou(n)....

Not that I am in any way seeing a link between the creation of the TdM and Vodou!! (yes, it was early Vodoussiants who created the Tarot!!):D I am just really enjoying the connections that seem to be there, or that I think are there...The Sun card is one that recently has been intriguing me, with the depiction of who I am assuming is St James....who is one of the images seen in the Vodou system....

How fascinating.

Here's another great image of James, with the banner:
http://www.wga.hu/art/c/carreno/st_james.jpg
and here:
http://www.duke.edu/web/spanish-lit/images2/santiago.jpg

Hmmm... St. James makes a lot of sense. I love the Vieville even more!

le pendu

valeria said:
Thanks for starting this thread, Robert!

I had heard of the Vieville but had not paid that much attention to it before now. I admit I have not been a fan of the TdM or these "older" style decks because of the primitive art. But I had decided to embrace them and see what they are all about. I have a Hadar, a Grimaud, and a Visconti now. I really didn't expect that I could work with the cards at all...

However, just reading this thread and seeing the images of the cards...there is something cool and fun about this deck! I really like the pips - they present a "target rich" environment for reading :D I like this deck ALOT more than the Hadar, the Grimaud and even the Visconti (which is stunningly beautiful).

Regarding the Chariot - I was immediately struck by the heads of the "critters" pulling the Chariot - I haven't checked out the links to other threads yet so I apologize in advance if I am completely off on this - but I was thinking what if the reason the heads look like people is because they are supposed to be people? The first thing I thought of when I saw this card was ambition...and the old saying "getting ahead on the backs of others" or something like that. What if these guys were the enemies of the Charioteer and they have been conquered and made to be his beasts of burden for the rest of their lives? Or maybe they are choosing to be there for some reason - some sort of a parallel representation to a Devil card? I like the suggestions that they represent different aspects of the Charioteer himself. Sort of keeping himself under control :)

Argh! I'm off to TG to see if they have this deck because I have to have it now!

:love: valeria

Hey valeria,

It's great that you think you might like the Vieville. It IS so rich. I swear, everytime I use it I find more things in it. It's odd because some of the images look quite rough.. but often there are actually incredible details. I can stare at these cards for hours, just loving them. When I pull them up next to my Dodal, Conver, and other decks I just chuckle.. I honestly think there are secrets to be learned from this deck... I find things all the time that "just make sense" when I compare the images to other old decks.. and suddenly I just go "Duh! THAT'S what that is!"

Of course, much of it is just conjecture and guessing, but how wonderful to have a deck that fills me with questions and thoughts and excitement!

As for the chariot... yup, those faces are certainly human faces.. so maybe they are meant to be human? I just get such a kick everytime I see them. What the heck was he thinking?

I hope you get the deck, and I hope you love it.

prudence

Oh and the other thing I was relating to the (TdM) Sun card and Vodou was the idea of the sacred twins....but not the Vieville Sun card.

Although the Vieville Sun card is what made me wonder about the link to St. James the Greater (or is it Greator?)....

Sheri

Originally posted by Prudence:
Valeria, I am sorry to say that the TG is out of the Vieville....at the moment. (unless something has changed recently) But, last I looked Alida still had some. They are very good as per service and their prices are surprising (in a good way) considering they are in EU.

*valeria drops to knees and screams "VIEVILLE" ala Marlon Brando's Stella*

I'm off to Alida then :D Thanks!

Sheri

Originally posted by Le Pendu:
It's great that you think you might like the Vieville. It IS so rich. I swear, everytime I use it I find more things in it. It's odd because some of the images look quite rough.. but often there are actually incredible details. I can stare at these cards for hours, just loving them. When I pull them up next to my Dodal, Conver, and other decks I just chuckle.. I honestly think there are secrets to be learned from this deck... I find things all the time that "just make sense" when I compare the images to other old decks.. and suddenly I just go "Duh! THAT'S what that is!"

What really got me was when you posted scans of the cards from the different decks side by side. I was stunned! I have actually been gathering TdMs lately - but haven't read with them yet. I think I was putting off having to deal with the pips (reading with unillustrated pips is going to be new for me). But when I saw this deck's I saw something I can work with.

So I'm off to hunt for one! :D