Your Top 5 Home Remedies....

entropy

Anyone with recommendations for getting rid of a cold sore?

thorhammer

entropy said:
Tea tree oil. Taste like crap, though, and methinks is possibly low-level poisonous :D so don't use it on sores inside the mouth. Only outside.

\m/ Kat

morticia monroe

entropy said:

My daughter used to get them. Garlic will do it. I buy the minced garlic in a jar that has all the juice and she just dips her finger in and rubs it on a few times a day and right before bed. It clears it right up.

AngelDancer

My top 5

1. Citronella is wonderful! It's not only a great bug repellent, but it gives you a proper boost - much more efficient than coffee and none of the side effects! I've started using a few drops in hot water when I mop the floors too, but then I just love the smell... not everybody does! For a quick mental/physical boost, try mixing a few drops with a neutral base oil and rub into the skin on your wrists.

2. The best ever migrain remedy: Go for a run as soon as the first symptoms set in!!! I know, it's probably the last thing you'll feel like doing but I tried this after reading about it in a Swedish health magazine and it WORKS!!! Apparently research has been done to confirm it.

3. Sinusitis clears up quickly with a gem stone elixir made from flourite. Just soak a piece of flourite for a minimum of 15 minutes in regular tap water and drink the water. Keep drinking and make sure you have at least 8 glasses per day until the cold is gone.

4. Have a hot date but can't quite get in the right mood? Try a few drops of Patchouli essential oil in your bath. Just try it... go on! You'll know what I mean once you've tried it... ;)

5. Have a job that needs to get done, but can't quite find the energy or motivation? Wear red! If you're like me, you might not naturally tend to wear a lot of red, but I bought a get-the-job-done red top and it works. For me it has the added bonus of facilitating change as it's not one of my comfort zone colours.

einhverfr

For a cough:

Take 2 tablespoons of mullein (v. thapsis) leaf and a bit of honey. Steep, covered, in 1 pt of boiling water for 10 minutes. Drink as needed.

For a cold:

Bring a pint of water to a low simmer. Add 2T honey, a good spoonful of ceyenne, and a fair bit of ginger. Simmer slowly, and add tumeric slowly until the color shifts from bright red to a reddish orange.

Sip 1T as needed, up to 4 times a day until the cold is gone.

Supplementary remedies for a cold:
1) Only drink hot (boiled) water.
2) Restrict dairy products except for butter in one's diet.

For insomnia:
1) Simmer milk with valerian root and sugar
2) Lavender tea

For an asthma attack (note: don't use this unless you know what you are doing),
cigars made of mullein leaves, smoked

Lucetta

I use two remedies on an almost daily basis.

I drink a cup of chamomile tea mixed with valerian before bedtime - it helps put me in a relaxing mood and susceptible to slumber.

I also like to drink peppermint tea (sometimes mixed with fennel) after eating. I find that it not only soothes my stomach, but also gets rid of any taste of the previous meal.

When I have sore throat, I like to drink tea (usually peppermint again) mixed with honey. It definitely helps!

crystalflame

Mint tea is definitely my favorite. I always prefer it over chamomile tea, but this is a personal choice, of course.

BlueBird5

This is another version of Colds/Cough remedy and it very effective... :)

- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Vinegar

Mix them together. Take 1 tsp of mixture every 3 hours.

Also, I am not if everyone have heard about Wheatgrass...

Proponents of wheatgrass claim regular ingestion of the plant can :
- improve the digestive system
- prevent diabetes and heart disease
- cure constipation
- detoxify heavy metals from the bloodstream
- help make menopause more manageable
- promote general well-being.

Link ==> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheatgrass

This has been tested and I do take them and its very effective. This also helps reduce weight and I cut down about 15 pounds.

It comes in 3 forms...
- the fresh grass which you need to extract the juice
- tablet
- powder

* Power & tablet can be purchased from Vitamins Shoppe.

tmgrl2

Great thread!

May be some repeats...read all the great suggestions. I am allergic to Aloe Vera, at least the pure stuff.

I use neti-pot...mostly when I am stuffed. This week it cleared out a large blockage in the upper sinuses that was still viral....

Tea-tree oil...put it on small sores...(never in mouth, in nose, or near eyes).

If I get oil glands dripping on eye-lids, doc told me to soak with warm washcloth twice daily, then wash eyelids with babyshampoo...clears it up quickly.

I use Bag Balm ...used to be for cows udders, infections...people use it for diaper rash. We used it for Tony, and he had not one bed sore in whole time he was bedbound at home.

I use little bit of vaseline/petroleum jelly in my home in winter, when gets dry and the little vessels bleed. This triggers the need for humidity so I run a whole house cold water humidifier all winter. (Had to chage filter six times this winter). I run it to keep humidity levels between 30 and 50 per cent for my piano. Pianos go out of tune with humidity changes and 42% is ideal. Can even bring piano back to tune.

I eat yogurt at least 5 days a week, grind my own flaxseeds and add them to anything.

I take a gram of fish oil daily.

I use Co-Q10 because my lipid medication leaches CoQ10 from the body.

When I get bronchitis ( I also have asthma) I rub Vicks all over chest on bronchial areas and cover with a dry flannel cloth. I do this at bedtime. I also put Vicks right under my nose at bedtime.

I use saline sprays periodically during winter especially.

I don't use any strong soaps on my body more than once weekly. I exfoliate once weekly. I use baby soaps mostly.

I probably have more but can't remember!

My mom swore by apple cider vinegar and honey stirred in water every day.

She lived to 101. She also didn't use any heavy soaps on her body for cleansing...

Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize skin, body and face.

Thanks, everyone!!

terri

Tansey Ella

QUOTE FROM ABOVE POST
"When I get bronchitis ( I also have asthma) I rub Vicks all over chest on bronchial areas and cover with a dry flannel cloth. I do this at bedtime. I also put Vicks right under my nose at bedtime"

My mom had me to that. It works. I have even swallowed vicks, so i guess it won't kill you. :)
I have used baking soda and either baby lotion or some water based cleanser mixed together as a scrub .It works as well or better than most.

". The best ever migrain remedy: Go for a run as soon as the first symptoms set in!!! I know, it's probably the last thing you'll feel like doing but I tried this after reading about it in a Swedish health magazine and it WORKS!!! Apparently research has been done to confirm it."

I have had migraines for many years. I see a doc of course and usually use immitrex nasal spray. However, it does not do it all. I have found it I take a ibuprofen and a fluid pill at the beginning of the migraine, it knocks it out pretty quick. I believe the brain swells a tiny bit and the ibuprofen is an anti inflammatory and the fluid pill will decrease the swelling. It works for me anyhow.