Wooden Tarot Discs Majors set.

caz241

Hi, hope this is the right place to post this.

Last year I decided to make myself a home made tarot set using wooden discs. My husband is a gardener, so using a branch he had pruned (and kept for craft purposes, so it was nicely dried out), he cut the discs for me, then I sanded them.

The discs were approximately 1.5 inches in diameter, so I drew 22 of them on a sheet of A4 paper and started trying to design simple symbols to represent the major arcana. Next was drawing these designs (and changing them if necessary) onto the discs, then painting them, adding the details and finally varnishing them.

I posted photos showing my progress in various Facebook groups and have had a pretty positive response from them- bearing in mind I'm not an artist and this was my first attempt at anything like this- with some people saying I should make them to sell.

As you can imagine though, this was a very labour intensive process, especially as the wood was hand cut and hand sanded. However, the drawing and painting part didn't take as long (apart from waiting for it to dry!), and I imagine the time would be cut down if you were doing several of one image at a time, or all the drawing, then, all the painting, etc. for several decks rather than just completing one deck at a time. This got me thinking further, and I've looked into being able to buy ready cut and sanded discs, so if I did want to make these to sell it would be a lot more likely that I could produce them at a reasonable price that people may be prepared to pay, and that I would also be able to get a fair payment for my time spent.

I would be grateful for any advice or hints/tips for anyone else who has gone through a similar process, and also I'm not sure if I am allowed to/or know how to put links up to the photos of the set here so any help with that too would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Caroline :)

Alta

You can post your Facebook page in your Profile. Then when others click on your name, one of the options will be caz241's Homepage!

UserCP --> Edit your details --> Home Page URL

caz241

You can post your Facebook page in your Profile. Then when others click on your name, one of the options will be caz241's Homepage!

UserCP --> Edit your details --> Home Page URL

Thanks Alta, I've done that now, and added the photos all together from start to finish.

danielnogo

Thanks Alta, I've done that now, and added the photos all together from start to finish.

Hey I took a look at your work, they are awesome! I love how you condense the symbology of the cards into something so simplistic yet robust at the same time, they are awesome and I love it when tarot is put on different mediums like wooden disc!

caz241

Thanks Danielnogo, I'm glad you like them :)

truelighth

Those are cool! Great job!:thumbsup:

caz241

Thanks truelighth :)

I've ordered a load of pre-cut and sanded wooden discs, so once they arrive I can see about making some more of them.

gregory

Sadly those of us not on FB can't see them - but it sounds lovely.

gregory

It does ! MANY thanks :) They remind me a bit of Chronata's tarotstones :) Great fun.