Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Star & King of Pentacles as career outcome.

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Using Tarot Cards


 
Aenwyn  Aenwyn is offline
Resident
 
Join Date: 20 Apr 2017
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 9
Aenwyn 
Resident
Star & King of Pentacles as career outcome.


Hi everyone,

Had a reading from a tarot professional today. I had specific questions regarding two career spreads she completed for me (past, present, outcome), and I'm not sure I agree with her regarding her interpretation of the "outcome" cards for each reading.

I am trying to decide between applying to MSW programs in social work, or a PhD program in business psychology. I have a background in business/finance and have completed graduate work in psychology, but am drawn towards nonprofit/social services work. Both programs would fit my career goals in different ways.

Outcome card for MSW reading: the Star
Outcome card for Phd reading: King of Pentacles


Her interpretation of the Star tarot was that my heart and passion are in social work, but it may be too "pie in the sky" and my idealism is clouding me from seeing the downsides to the profession.

Her interpretation of the King of Pentacles was that I would become a leader in my field, and that I would be able to use my degree to do macro-level work in work aligned with my interests.

My default interpretation of the Star is "hope, promising outlook" and my default interpretation of King of Pentacles is "business/financial success".

How would you interpret these cards in an outcome position for a career reading? Honestly she seemed a little biased (towards the business degree) before the cards were even drawn, so I'm not sure I trust her interpretation.

Thanks in advance.
Top   #1
feminine_mystique's Avatar
feminine_mystique  feminine_mystique is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 09 Nov 2016
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 765
feminine_mystique 
Citizen

feminine_mystique's Avatar

The star is naked as she is free and liberated. I could see that perhaps you feel there will be some form of freedom in pursuing this.. there is hope here as the star represents just that but at the moment it seems to be just an illusion. I also sense that this will not be so much financially rewarding but emotionally rewarding. I feel this is something you're more interested in.

The king of pentacles represents earth with earth.. he is grounded which is quite different to the star who appears up in the sky. There is more stability here and more opportunities for you to come on top..
Top   #2
Aenwyn  Aenwyn is offline
Resident
 
Join Date: 20 Apr 2017
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 9
Aenwyn 
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by feminine_mystique View Post
The star is naked as she is free and liberated. I could see that perhaps you feel there will be some form of freedom in pursuing this.. there is hope here as the star represents just that but at the moment it seems to be just an illusion. I also sense that this will not be so much financially rewarding but emotionally rewarding. I feel this is something you're more interested in.

The king of pentacles represents earth with earth.. he is grounded which is quite different to the star who appears up in the sky. There is more stability here and more opportunities for you to come on top..
Thanks for your reply. You are right that the MSW is something I am more interested in. The PhD would open up other opportunities.

If I got the MSW I would probably go on for a PhD in social work in a few years, which would be more appropriate for macro work than the PhD program in the reading.

I should add, the deck had the same symbolism as Rider-Waite for both cards.

I was surprised at the reading because the cards were so on point, also that the cards didn't seem to give me advice which I was expecting (this might have been due to how the question was framed in the outcome position, however).
Top   #3
Aenwyn  Aenwyn is offline
Resident
 
Join Date: 20 Apr 2017
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 9
Aenwyn 
Resident

Anyone else have any input? Thanks in advance for your help, it is appreciated.
Top   #4
Laurelle's Avatar
Laurelle  Laurelle is offline
TarotHeaven.com
 
Join Date: 08 May 2014
Location: North America
Posts: 2,670
Laurelle 
TarotHeaven.com

Laurelle's Avatar

Star is a far away possibility. As an outcome it actually says it will end up taking you longer than you will expect. Could even take a decade to complete the schooling. It also says that you will be able to help more people who really need help. But it also speaks about longing, hoping, and dreaming. You may have built unrealistic goals and dreams surrounding the MSW, especially due to timing. Maybe you will end up having a baby or some other kind of delay that could prevent you from finishing the masters/phd in social work on time.

The King of Pentacles says that you will probably pick the PhD in business psychology because he is in the "here and now." You could absolutely be the master of this profession.

As an outcome, based on those two cards, I would also think you would pick the King of Pentacles. It's the much stronger and reliable road. It's the easier road because it looks like it's something that will come easier for you, thus you being able to utilize the material and information much better.

Was she biased? Or was it that she just saw a probably outcome for you?

Anyway, just some ideas. I hope they helped. In the end, you should make the decision.

Side note: The Star card is also the card of meditation. When I seek answers I imagine myself thrown from the Tower and I land in the star card. I take off my blue dress that is heavy and wet. I see the woman from the star and realize that she is me! My mind is very very quite and I sit under the tree with the Ibis or next to the pond and I ask one question. I am fishing for the answer (Star card means Fish Hook in hebrew). I have the bait, I put it on the fishing rod and I wait with a calm, clear mind. I always get a satisfactory answer even if I have to go back a few times.
Top   #5
Aenwyn  Aenwyn is offline
Resident
 
Join Date: 20 Apr 2017
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 9
Aenwyn 
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelle View Post
Star is a far away possibility. As an outcome it actually says it will end up taking you longer than you will expect. Could even take a decade to complete the schooling. It also says that you will be able to help more people who really need help. But it also speaks about longing, hoping, and dreaming. You may have built unrealistic goals and dreams surrounding the MSW, especially due to timing. Maybe you will end up having a baby or some other kind of delay that could prevent you from finishing the masters/phd in social work on time.

The King of Pentacles says that you will probably pick the PhD in business psychology because he is in the "here and now." You could absolutely be the master of this profession.

As an outcome, based on those two cards, I would also think you would pick the King of Pentacles. It's the much stronger and reliable road. It's the easier road because it looks like it's something that will come easier for you, thus you being able to utilize the material and information much better.

Was she biased? Or was it that she just saw a probably outcome for you?

Anyway, just some ideas. I hope they helped. In the end, you should make the decision.

Side note: The Star card is also the card of meditation. When I seek answers I imagine myself thrown from the Tower and I land in the star card. I take off my blue dress that is heavy and wet. I see the woman from the star and realize that she is me! My mind is very very quite and I sit under the tree with the Ibis or next to the pond and I ask one question. I am fishing for the answer (Star card means Fish Hook in hebrew). I have the bait, I put it on the fishing rod and I wait with a calm, clear mind. I always get a satisfactory answer even if I have to go back a few times.
I think she was biased because we talked about the two career decisions/degree paths I was considering pursuing and she had said I should go the business route before the cards were even pulled. I'm not sure if she "intuited" that info (she did a sage cleanse and asked the guardians/spirits for help before the reading), or if she based in on the astrology chart or whatever. Despite my use of tarot cards, I'm pretty 50/50 on whether any of these things (spirits, astrology, etc) are based in actual reality...I basically use tarot as a means of looking at a question from a different POV, although I thought it was very appropriate that those two cards came up in important positions during my career reading.

I really liked your statement about "longing, hoping and dreaming" because I spent a few days meditating on these cards and while I think I am being realistic about each career path (both the upsides and the downsides), I realized that The Star could indicate that the social work path is not only the longer path (which makes sense considering the additional time it would take), but perhaps I have made some inherent assumptions about social work that might not be based in reality, or that it will just overall take me longer to where I want to be, if I take that path. I really think I would have a passion for the work and am honestly more interested in that route than the other, I'm just afraid that salaries might be so very low (not enough to live on). My expenses aren't that much but I'd hope with a second master's degree I'd be making 40k a year at least...the average for the field is around 60k but I still see some crazy low salaries on job boards, MSWs making 35k a year working for nonprofits etc. Where I'm at, average rents are blowing up and I'd have to move if I was making that little, a one bedroom now averages $1600/month here.

"In the end, you should make the decision." Yeah for sure, 100% agreed. I liked the fact that the cards didn't give any advice.

Thanks for your input, appreciated.
Top   #6
lightsofblue  lightsofblue is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 19 Apr 2014
Location: River
Posts: 218
lightsofblue 
Citizen

*****
Top   #7
headincloud's Avatar
headincloud  headincloud is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 12 Feb 2014
Location: Feet on the ground
Posts: 2,147
headincloud 
Citizen

headincloud's Avatar

Follow that star, a card that denotes a special gift or talent with advice to cultivate it. Knight Pent signifies slow and steady progress and success so I don't see how you can lose either way but it depends if financial security and dependability is your main aim or passion I guess.
Top   #8
Aenwyn  Aenwyn is offline
Resident
 
Join Date: 20 Apr 2017
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 9
Aenwyn 
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by headincloud View Post
Follow that star, a card that denotes a special gift or talent with advice to cultivate it. Knight Pent signifies slow and steady progress and success so I don't see how you can lose either way but it depends if financial security and dependability is your main aim or passion I guess.
Thanks for your reply, I really liked your interpretation of the star! The other card was King of Pents, though.
Top   #9
Aenwyn  Aenwyn is offline
Resident
 
Join Date: 20 Apr 2017
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 9
Aenwyn 
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsofblue View Post
Hi Aenwyn,
I'm also involved in social work and people who love money don't understand social work, (so that's most people). The Star indicates you will have a greater opportunity to influence others with this path. Star card indicates leadership, someone who provides hope, guidance, suppprt, and opportunity to others, and most importantly healing. Some people like to read major arcana draws as destiny, so it could be your destined path.

King of Pentacles shows me this will be a highly profitable career choice for you, that offers a lot of stability in a well-respected leadership position. It could also become "boring" depending on your preferences.

I also echo your sentiments on Star being the "longer path." a lot of social work positions call for lots of overtime, but there is always a need and you will be very needed, I see it as pouring yourself into your work just like the woman depicted on the card. Also be aware that the King of Pentacles does not always indicate someone who is massively successful, but certainly comfortable.

My suggestion to you is to understand your priorities as it pertains to yourself, your life, and where you want to see/be yourself. Do what you love and you can't go wrong . They both look very successful outcomes in my view.
Thanks, your post felt so right on to me. Especially about King of Pents becoming "boring", one of my concerns actually. So you hit the nail on the head.

I loved what you said about pouring oneself into social work and being needed, and being in a position to provide healing.
Top   #10


 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.