Decks you can´t connect to

Farzon

And especially, why so?

I like the artwork of my Silicon Dawn Tarot.... But as much as I use it, I simply feel no connection to it. It tells me the correct answers, I can interpret it as any other deck, but the readings don´t feel like something spiritual.
I don´t know what it is: The weird suits-mash-up? The fact that there are nearly no men in the deck? I think I have in mind that Egypt Urnash doesn´t believe in Tarot as she says in the Companion booklet. It sticks to the deck as well....

So what decks do you have, which you wanted to own but couldn´t connect with them as you had them? And why?

HeatherRose

Crow's Magick is the deck that just doesn't click for me. It's funny because that is the very first tarot deck I ever got years ago. I think I thought it looked cool or something. But, I never was able to connect with it. Even now that I've become much more comfortable with the tarot and can do readings, etc. That deck just tells me nothing! Maybe there is not enough imagery for me...or too many geometrical shapes more than anything, so I don't get any story, I don't get any feelings. And maybe because when I finally learned with the Universal Waite deck, it was revolving around people, so the abstract images and odd animals in the Crow's Magick just didn't sit the same with me. I'm not sure, but every once in a great while I'll take it out and start shuffling and looking and I'm just like "nope".

Farzon

Crow's Magick is the deck that just doesn't click for me. It's funny because that is the very first tarot deck I ever got years ago. I think I thought it looked cool or something. But, I never was able to connect with it. Even now that I've become much more comfortable with the tarot and can do readings, etc. That deck just tells me nothing! Maybe there is not enough imagery for me...or too many geometrical shapes more than anything, so I don't get any story, I don't get any feelings. And maybe because when I finally learned with the Universal Waite deck, it was revolving around people, so the abstract images and odd animals in the Crow's Magick just didn't sit the same with me. I'm not sure, but every once in a great while I'll take it out and start shuffling and looking and I'm just like "nope".

Funny, this is the only deck I have ever sent back because I didn't like it. To me it seemed like a copy-paste deck with the same shapes all over again.

Aeric

Lo Scarabeo Book of Thoth, aka Etteilla III.

The artwork and strange interpretations, most of which are dim and depressing, leave me cold.

Also two angelic decks: Lo Scarabeo's Tarot of the Angels, and the Shining Angels Tarot.

The former is a mishmash of angel characters grafted onto RWS in a very haphazard fashion that puts the interpretations out of sync. One particular angel shows up in random cards making it very difficult to follow. I have never grown tired of a deck faster than I did this one.

The latter transforms every angel in this round deck into a visibly female character, including "classically masculine" ones like Michael and Uriel. The only men are humans, both men and women being influenced by all these winged ladies. While I might enjoy gender swapping several of the angels, turning the entire deck makes it extremely inaccessible to me.

nisaba

And especially, why so?

I like the artwork of my Silicon Dawn Tarot.... But as much as I use it, I simply feel no connection to it.

By "Connect" I originally thought you meant "able to use", not "love".

I was going to say that even the decks in my collection that I dislike, I can still connect with well enough to read.

Now I don't know what to say.

Queen of Disks

Lo Scarabeo Book of Thoth, aka Etteilla III.

The artwork and strange interpretations, most of which are dim and depressing, leave me cold.

Also two angelic decks: Lo Scarabeo's Tarot of the Angels, and the Shining Angels Tarot.

The former is a mishmash of angel characters grafted onto RWS in a very haphazard fashion that puts the interpretations out of sync. One particular angel shows up in random cards making it very difficult to follow. I have never grown tired of a deck faster than I did this one.

The latter transforms every angel in this round deck into a visibly female character, including "classically masculine" ones like Michael and Uriel. The only men are humans, both men and women being influenced by all these winged ladies. While I might enjoy gender swapping several of the angels, turning the entire deck makes it extremely inaccessible to me.

I love my Tarot of the Angels to bits but I had that problem with the gender swapping in Shining Angels too. It is very pretty and I know angels are generally considered genderless but something about the way it was done just threw me out of it.

I had a problem with the LS Dark Angels also. The angels look so 90's Goth/Emo that I just couldn't take it seriously. :confused: :joke:

Telspepper

Decks you cant connect to.

I cant connect to decks where everyone looks 18. Not only am I older than that but its
so unbalanced. I want a full spectrum of life, that is assuming that the decks theme is not based with teens or very young adults.
An example would be Crystal Visions Tarot. There is no reason that some of the figures could be older. To my knowledge the theme is not exclusive to very young adults or teenagers.

Farzon

By "Connect" I originally thought you meant "able to use", not "love".

I was going to say that even the decks in my collection that I dislike, I can still connect with well enough to read.

Now I don't know what to say.

I mean something in between.
The Book of Shadows I is for example a deck I don't like that much as other decks but still I can connect with it.
Reading a deck I can't connect to just leaves an empty feeling... That's what I mean with connect. It's neither "love" nor "able to use" it's getting a feeling of a deeper sense out of a reading. Like a meditation.

Hope, this helps ^^

conurelover

The Mary El. I keep promising to give it another chance.

Le Fanu

For me, don't connect with isn't the same as "don't like". For me it relates to those decks that you really thought on the surface you were going to work with, and tried and it's a bit like bashing your head against the proverbial brick wall. I'm following this thread carefully, racking my brains as I know there are quite a few. Maybe the Chrysalis. It just doesn't work for me. I really thought Id connect with it. Too wide-ranging. Too many disparate references. Like constantly having to change channel to get reception. And the Swords suit is too mauve, too gentle, too Crystal Visions. And yet the artwork is beautiful.