What are they thinking?

Alta

A lot of decks grow on you. We had a thread like this a couple of years back, and I posted this and that. Then someone revived the thread and I was astonished to see that a couple of decks that I had roundly denounced were by then among my top 10. Go figure.

The Fairies Oracle is one. Okay, I did the exercises etc, but I actually felt somewhat repelled by it. Now I appreciate it very much.

Some decks you just keep 'sampling' until suddenly they are the main event.
I keep hoping the Haindl will go that way for me. So far, it hasn't budged upward in my opinion. But, to stick with the theme of the thread, it is highly thought of many (likely smarter) people than I am.

Also, a moddie note. If a deck was created by a current member, try and keep the comments brief i.e. don't write an essay on why you hate their deck. A few words is likely enough. It hasn't been that long since the last round and I am sure some feelings are still somewhat painful.

Little Baron

Citrin said:
Same here.

And even though I think the Hanson-Roberts is cute, I also hate the bad proportions! The Magician is the card stopping me from buying that deck, the guy just looks SO weird.

I just looked up the 6 of Cups. They kind of look like gnomes, don't they?:) lol

That Magician is strange and I feel exactly the same as you do. I had read so many recommendations for this deck, but that card always stopped me in my tracks, if I ever considered buying it. It really niggles at me, as do many of the others. The 'gnomes' are actually quite funny but I think I wouldn't take them very seriously in a reading - having said that, the 'gnome' or boy in the RWS version is much more extreme, but he doesn't bother me so much.

I can understand where you guys are coming from with reference to the Bohemian Cats. I felt the same .. until I bought it. I remember asking people here about it's value and whether it was taken seriously in professional readings and others assured me it was. When I got it, I was astounded by just how beautiful and valid a deck it is. But of course, we all have different tastes and requirements. Really enjoying this thread.

LB

Little Baron

Just thinking about what you said Marion and I wonder if there has ever been an experiement here for us to work with a deck that we really do not find attractive. I wonder if you could actually end up appreciating it without becoming too emotionally involved with the images. For example, I own the Matt Myers deck and so much of it makes me shiver - some of the characters, the way the minors are worked through as stories, the dancing death card etc etc. But if I chose to work with it for a couple of months, maybe things might change. At the moment, the idea both interests and scares me since I like it so little.

LB

Just to add, I hope that my speaking of decks that I did not connect with in detail did not offend any artists. As mentioned, I have upmost respect for all creators and just because they do not work for me, for reasons mentioned, I am aware that many gain much wisdom and pleasure from them, which, afterall, is the topic of the thread. :)

Grizabella

I'm so absolutely enthralled and enchanted with the Gilded that every time one comes up for trade, I want to grab it even though I have one already. I did make a deal for a second deck in case anything happens to my first one, plus I'm going to keep my eye open for some to give as Christmas gifts. I nearly cried when I saw a thread where someone mentioned trimming a Gilded deck.

But on to the ones I don't see what anyone sees anything in:

Thoth---I absolutely don't understand it and it's almost scary to me.

Those ones that are historical and have non-illustrated pips and funny art. I don't like those at all, at all.

Island Dreamer

Tarot of Prague
I think I'm the only one who can't "see it" in this deck. Sorry!

Same here. I couldn't get on with it but then I traded it on to someone who wanted it so I'm happy that it's gone to a good home.

Island Dreamer

Moongold

Hehehehe ....... I like all my decks.

Don't envy anyone and only wish for one, which I have promised myself for Christmas. Don't dislike any decks. Just don't buy what I don't want or can't afford.

It took me a long time to like the Marseille, but now I think it is so rich.

lunakasha

The PoMo.

Sorry, it's just not for me, but since it is hard to find and expensive, this is
actually a good thing! :p

:) Luna

Edited to add: OOOPS, my mistake, guess it is not so HTF or expensive after all, hehehe....:confused:

Whitestar

Hmmmm...

I'm very much not interested in:

Tarot de Marseille
Golden Tarot
I can't imagine being able to reading with these, because the style is just wrong *for me*.

Original Rider Waite
I have this deck and absolutely can't do a thing with it. I don't even like to just look at the cards.

On the other hand, I love Gilded and ToD!!

darwinia

LittleBuddha said:
Just thinking about what you said Marion and I wonder if there has ever been an experiement here for us to work with a deck that we really do not find attractive.

Wow, now there's an interesting idea.

I love Ciro's regular art, the non-tarot stuff, why not the Gilded and the Tarot of Dreams decks? Because of the borders, I think those jewelled borders interfere with his art and the atmosphere the images evoke. I would love to see both decks without the borders--full bleed out to the edge of the cards, and printed in a larger format, wow, now you're talking. Elaborate borders like these are an unnecessary detail next to that gorgeous art, they just overtake it. Ciro's hauntingly beautiful images are restrained by borders--I can't get past it. Now there's a man who doesn't need borders, whew.

Anyway, I think sometimes, as we have seen in the trimming threads, that a lot of people find borders to detract from the art. But for that one looming detail. . .

Bean Feasa

Well here's what I was thinking...

when I bought two of the decks mentioned:

Hanson-Roberts - Aha, sez I to meself, there's a nice-sized, harmless-looking little deck that would fit in my handbag without tearing my shoulder out of it's socket.
And then I found out that despite the admittedly cutesy art, this deck packs a punch. Gives me clear, very uncompromising readings. I love it.

Tarot of Prague: Well I'd had a short break in Prague the previous winter, and was entranced by the scans online. So bought it with mixed feelings of nostalgia and admiration.
It gave readings as crisp and clean as Czech snow, and shot to the top of my list of favourite decks in no time, although it's being seriously challenged by the Glastonbury lately which is sooo different from ToP, and which I know is a deck that a lot of people say 'what are they thinking of' about its buyers... and so it goes on.

Different strokes for different folks, as they say. I also agree with Marion that some decks grow on you, others you grow out of and so on... tastes are changing and evolving all the time.