Victorian Flower Oracle

HearthCricket

I've never seen that book. Do share when it arrives and let us know what it is like!

.traveller.

I always wanted to research the language of flowers and now I have some book titles to get me started. Thank you for posting those! I keep hoping someone will make an encyclopedia-type book on the subject, since there is so much reference material. Hmm, maybe I can find a website with some info to tide me over.

Hearthcricket, did you buy your book and cards separately? Mine was the kit and it didn't have a LWB, only the larger companion book. Is there anything in the LWB that isn't in the book?

I heard from AlphaStamps, they are going to email me when their bags come in. I can hardly wait! I might buy the sticker set too while I am at it.

Anyone have any experience with the Hemlock card?

HearthCricket

I have a few copies of the Victorian Flower Oracle and the kit, as well. The deck itself has the LWB with the meanings in it, but, of course, the book that comes with the kit is far more extensive. It is rather nice to have both versions...a book for study and the LWB to refresh my memory and slip right into the bag with the deck. :)

.traveller.

Thank you! I was wondering if my kit was missing it somehow, but it makes sense that it would be included with the deck only version.

I found a couple of websites:
http://www.me2u.com/LoveLore/Flowers/language.tmpl
http://www.pioneerthinking.com/flowerlanguage.html

And I also found out that the "language of flowers" are an indie-pop quintet from Belfast, Northern Ireland.

P.s. This is OT but has anyone seen the Language of Flowers tarot? I just stumbled across it. They are using photos of flowers on the cards. Looks nice except they have a flowering quince titled "azalea" on the Temperance card.

Jewel

HearthCricket said:
I've never seen that book. Do share when it arrives and let us know what it is like!
Most definetly I will!!!!

I have no experience with the Hemlock card, but look forward to see what anyone else might have to say. I am currently doing the exercises from the Froud Faeries Oracle with this deck *LOL*. It is working great to. I have done my favorite card (Water Lily) and the card that disturbs me the most (Verbena), and today during lunch I will be seeing and writting about my message from the universe (Tulip). I am trying to connect on some intuitive level with this deck even though I am not familiar with the flower language. It is very interesting, and I think it is working!!! Not sure these cards will mean the same to me as to those who know flower language but who cares! *LOL* ... I will learn flower language as I go along and mix it with my delusional menaings ~giggles~

Traveler, thank you for the links I printed some of the stuff out to include in my journal :). Please do let me know how the stickers are if you get them, I was seriously contemplating them, but could not tell if they were stickers or not ... I wanted the clear ones not the card ones. So when you get what you get please let me know which ones are the stickers *LOL*. And CONGRATULATIONS on being able to get a bag! I hope they post them soon for you.

.traveller.

I could have sworn I saw the word "stickers" under the collage sheet. Note to self *Read more carefully*. I might buy one of each of the collage sheet, transparency, and fabric just to see what they are about. Maybe I'll use them to make a notebook/journal... now that would be fun and I'd actually get more use out of the collage sheet than the stickers so it works out for me. Stickers would be cool though, especially if they are mini versions of the cards... we could make mini oracles out of them!

Yeah, I got the Hemlock card as to how someone was thinking of me! Eek! Needless to say, I was alarmed but not surprised. The person in question is pretty moody, but I think I will avoid them until the Hemlock mood has passed, just to be safe.

Jewel, what do you think of the Verbena card? I had my own take on the image and was rather surprised by the description in the book, completely different from one another. I usually get that card if I am being spiteful for no reason.

Jewel

.traveller. said:
I could have sworn I saw the word "stickers" under the collage sheet. Note to self *Read more carefully*. I might buy one of each of the collage sheet, transparency, and fabric just to see what they are about. Maybe I'll use them to make a notebook/journal...
Please let me know what they are when you get them, because I am really interested in using them for my journal, but I just don't know if they are too thick, what type of glue to use with them etc. I wanted to put one with each journal entry about the specific cards.

.traveller. said:
Jewel, what do you think of the Verbena card? I had my own take on the image and was rather surprised by the description in the book, completely different from one another. I usually get that card if I am being spiteful for no reason.
OK this is my journal entry on this card (using the Faeries Oracle exercises for the card that makes you the "most unconfortable") - I have not read what the VFO book says, I am waiting until I form my impressions of the deck before moving forward with that. So here it goes:

VERBENA:
The emotional atmosphere in this card is bleak, right down to the ravished tree stump. The Verbena is simply bitter and sour. She tries to hide her inner ugliness with a pretty dress, but pretty is as pretty does! Emotions this card makes me thing of are: Hatefullness. Lack of compassion. Unsupported self-righteousness. Wallowing in self-pitty. Spite.

A physical manifestation of this cards symbols could be lashing out at those who don't deserve it; being "pissy" for the hell of it; being so unhappy with one self that we cannot acknowledge, see, or feel any of the beauty and goodness that is around us.

The card symbols are complex. There is beauty on one half and desolation on the other so a mental transformation from one view or attitude to another is feasible. Yet the beauty is or can also be a disguise. Mentally, the Verbena seems trapped in a negative loop feed.

The spiritual characteristics in this card seem only expressed in the beauty and rejuventaion of nature. There is a couple whom must have been deeply hurt or affected by the Verbena, and the woman seems to be showing support and compassion towards the man. But overall I see no real spiritual connection in this card.

I think that what I find most unconfortable about this card is the Verbena's facial expression. I know that face. I know what it feels like to be that man in the background. In turn that makes me have "Verbena-ish" thoughts and that is not the person I am or want to be.

I find all the greenery in the card appealing. Could it represent hope? A chance for the Verbena to reconsider her attitude? A chance for her to really see the world around her (good & bad instead of just bad)?
END OF JOURNAL ENTRY

Based on my journal entry Traveller I would say that my take is similar to yours. I saw spite, and I saw how I saw myself being spiteful in her face as well. I have not read what the book says yet, and I honestly have no experience with flower language either. So I am going on intuition alone at this time. Bottom line is that I picked her as my least favorite card of the deck.

HearthCricket said:
Yesterday my new book "The Victorian Flower Oracle" (Trish Telesco) arrived :D I have not read it but it does look interesting! A breakdown of the book goes like this:

CHAPTER 1 is about creating a flower oracle so I plan to skip that as I already have one *LOL*.

CHAPTER 2 is about how to use the oracle and includes 6 lay outs ... I might explore that when I start reading with the VFO.

CHAPTER 3 is about flower and herb divinations and flower and herb applications. This is the chapter I will read first.

CHAPTER 4 is about flowers (33 to be exact). Each one includes: gender, planetary association, element, magical association, folklore/history, interpretation (upright & reversed). Looks REALLY intersting all in about 1 1/2 pages per flower. Black & white pitcures of flowers.

CHAPTER 5 is about herbs (23). Includes same breakdown as Chapter 4 for each herb. Black & white pitcures of herbs.

CHAPTER 6 is about trees and shurbs (18). Includes same breakdown as Chapters 4 & 5). Black & white pitcure of leaves & flowers of the trees & shrubs.

CHAPTER 7 is about alternative symbols for oracles.

Overall most of the book is dedicated to Chapters 4-6 and looks real intersting. Hope this helps HearthCrickett.

HearthCricket

Very much so! Thank you for all the information on it. I really appreciate you taking the time to type that all out! It looks like a must get for my library! :)

Jewel

HearthCricket said:
Very much so! Thank you for all the information on it. I really appreciate you taking the time to type that all out! It looks like a must get for my library! :)
Of the two you recommended to me, which would you say is more informative about the flowers and such. I am not really interested in the poetry and stuff, I want a book I can learn from. Sort of like what this one promises (I hope *LOL*).

HearthCricket

The Language and Sentiment of Flowers. There is a tiny introduction, and the rest is just a huge list of flowers and plants and a note as to what they mean, with little flowers drawn throughout the book. It isn't very descriptive as in history or anything like that, but the book does contain one of the longest lists I have ever seen, plus it does the reverse-the 2nd half of the book has meanings and the flower you would use for it, so it really becomes a guidebook for if you want to actually know the meaning of certain flowers, or send a particular bouquet to someone and pick out the right flowers so the message gets across. Sadly, this art had long gone astray and most people haven't the slightest idea how much flowers said, back in the Victorian Age. You didn't need to write a note. The flowers said it all.