General Oracles Study Group Week 2

2dogs

I'm not too sure about dividing my deck up this way as I'm trying to get away from systems and classifications and part of the appeal of Oracle decks is the openness and lack of rules. I've done the exercise anyway, and there are definitely some common themes within the groups, but having decided to do it couldn't bear to make them uneven. So 12 each for Earth Magic. :rolleyes:

GryffinSong

2dogs, I know what you mean about systems and such. I did the exercise to decide which was which, but never went any further with it. It just doesn't feel right somehow. I can always spontaneously decide if an element has anything to do with a card whenever I do a reading.

DragonFae

The whole division thing is more to make you "work" with the cards than any thing else....whether you ever really use them with your deck or not is up to you....YEP....I'm sneaky like that!!

Rosie_0801

I don't think I can do this exercise with my new Oracle of the Dreamtime deck...

2dogs

Well, the deck is a long way from the Tarot structure, it may have its own groupings or you may find some other ways in which the cards divide up. You may just prefer to treat each one as an individual without thinking of where it comes in some sequence. When it comes to a reading you might notice a common theme, images that appear on more than one card, or a card that looks out of place compared to the others. If you've made a serious attempt to classify the cards and it hasn't worked, then maybe that's a lesson for you. ;)

Rosie_0801

Well, the deck is a long way from the Tarot structure, it may have its own groupings or you may find some other ways in which the cards divide up. You may just prefer to treat each one as an individual without thinking of where it comes in some sequence. When it comes to a reading you might notice a common theme, images that appear on more than one card, or a card that looks out of place compared to the others. If you've made a serious attempt to classify the cards and it hasn't worked, then maybe that's a lesson for you. ;)

I could sit there all week classifying and reclassifying in different ways. I figured if it is that complicated, there's no value to be gained from trying to divide them. But the Dreamtime is rather timey-wimey, to use a Dr Who phrase, so trying to tidy it up and make it chronological is missing the point, I guess.