New to Tarot of Marseilles

Philalethes

Greetings,

My interest in Tarot was recently rekindled following a ten year hiatus after stumbling upon a reference to Alejandro Jodorowsky's work with the Tarot of Marseilles. I was familiar with and appreciative of his films and decided to investigate. I recently obtained his book The Way of Tarot and I am awed by the wisdom that he has been able to extrapolate from the cards in lieu of the typical superimposition of occult correspondences, especially what he has been able to interpret from the Minor Arcana. I have a background in occult tarot from many years ago and I believe that his insight garnered from prolonged contemplation and refined symbolic and aesthetic sensibilities is somehow more genuine than the canons of interpretation that I have previously been exposed to. I am now eagerly awaiting a set of Camoin-Jodorowsky cards from France. In the meantime, I have dusted off my old copy of The Ancient Tarot of Marseilles (Conver fascimile) and am very greatful to Jodorowsky for bringing the Tarot back into my life.

Sincerely,
Philalethes

Sherryl

Greetings, Philalethes,

Welcome to the exciting world of free-form TdM reading. There's nothing more liberating than just sitting with the naked card - no overlay of esoteric meanings, no worries about discovering its "true, correct" meaning.

Jodo's book will keep you learning for quite some time. I also like Jean-Michel David's book for putting tarot in the context Medieval and Renaissance art.

Barleywine

I'm also a fan of Jodorowsky's films (I own El Topo - a personal favorite - The Holy Mountain, Fando Y Lis and La Cravate. I was surprised to learn a few years ago that he had moved on into tarot. I've been hedging about buying The Way of Tarot because of the mixed reviews it's received from people here. Any opinion on how it compares to JMD's book and Yoav Ben-Dov's (who was a student of Jodorowsky)?

Sherryl

I've been hedging about buying The Way of Tarot because of the mixed reviews it's received from people here. Any opinion on how it compares to JMD's book and Yoav Ben-Dov's (who was a student of Jodorowsky)?

I have reviews of all these books on my website. There's a link in my public profile. Each book has its own flavor, and they all complement each other. If art leaves you cold, then you don't want David's book. Ben Dov's book is the most down-to-earth and practical. Camelia Elias has just come out with a book, which I reviewed, that has tons of examples of actual readings. They're all good, is just comes down to personal taste.

Barleywine

I have reviews of all these books on my website. There's a link in my public profile. Each book has its own flavor, and they all complement each other. If art leaves you cold, then you don't want David's book. Ben Dov's book is the most down-to-earth and practical. Camelia Elias has just come out with a book, which I reviewed, that has tons of examples of actual readings. They're all good, is just comes down to personal taste.

The only one of those I haven't read is JMD's, mainly because of its price. I also haven't read Jodorowsky's, and that's the one I'm especially interested in right now. I believe I have your site bookmarked, and will take a look. Thanks!

ETA: Thanks again, Sherryl. I found what I wanted on your site.