Celtic Astrologic Signs

Labhraín

What is a reputable site for learning about Celtic Astrology signs? Not all sites say the same thing. I've seen some commonalities (a couple of sites gave the same answer) but then I found others that deviate a little from what I initially came across. I was wondering if any one can recommend a particular site that they feel is accurate.

Minderwiz

What is a reputable site for learning about Celtic Astrology signs? Not all sites say the same thing. I've seen some commonalities (a couple of sites gave the same answer) but then I found others that deviate a little from what I initially came across. I was wondering if any one can recommend a particular site that they feel is accurate.

The short answer is that there isn't an accurate account of Celtic Astrological Signs. The reason for this is that, Celtic Astrology is a very modern invention and there's no 'authority' to impose any order or consistency. The best there is, is an attempt to keep in line with Robert Graves' Tree Calendar, itself an invention by the eponymous poet, in the book poem The White Goddess published in 1948.

Whilst Graves based his work on older sources, even at the earliest, these are fourteenth century, and don't accurately reflect the practices of the ancient Celts. However while they have no basis in empirical fact, they may still work at a poetic level or an inspirational level.

Graves' Celtic Tree Calendar:

Beth (Birch) December 24th to January 20th
Luis (Rowan) January 21 to February 17
Nion (Ash) February 18 to March 17
Fearn (Alder) March 18 to April 14
Saille (Willow) April 15 to May 12
Uath (Hawthorn) May 13 to June 9
Duir (Oak) June 10 to July 7
Tinne (Holly) July 8 to August 4
Coll (Hazel) August 5 to September 1
Muin (Vine) September 2 to September 29
Gort (Ivy) September 30 to October 27
Ngetal (Reed) October 28 to November 24
Ruis (Elder) November 25 to December 22
December 23 Extra day for "Year and a Day"

Now the ancient Celts actually used a lunar calendar, and whilst Graves' attempt tries to simulate it; using these dates won't give you months that all start with a new (or full) moon. Indeed if you were to keep to lunations as starting dates, then the dates would be different every year over a metonic cycle (the 19 year eclipse cycle with the Sun).

The Celts divided their year in to two halves, the Dark half, which began on November 1, (by modern reckoning) with the festival of Samhain and the Light half beginning on May 1 (modern reckoning) with Beltane. So Graves' calendar doesn't fit with ancient practice.

Nevertheless, there's that distinction between historical fact and poetic fact, which can also have significant truth. So it's not necessary to reject Graves and subsequent followers on the basis that there's absolutely no historical evidence to support Celtic Astrology but it is necessary to know which 'truth' you are using and why.

Later followers have developed a list of animal signs, that largely fit the dates given by Graves. That has some linkage to the Zodiac, which literally means a circle of animals. But, the Zodiac used in both Western and Indian Astrology is Solar based and related to the ecliptic; the path that the Sun appears to take in an orbit of the Earth.

There's no definitive list of such animal signs because there's nothing stopping someone 'refining' the lists. In that sense it's a bit like designing a Tarot deck, you can alter the illustrations to make them fit your own perceptions.

It's something you have to live with, but if you're interested in a more magical approach and recognise that what is being taught and practised is not what they did thousands of years ago, you may find it a rewarding investigation.

Labhraín

The short answer is that there isn't an accurate account of Celtic Astrological Signs. The reason for this is that, Celtic Astrology is a very modern invention and there's no 'authority' to impose any order or consistency. The best there is, is an attempt to keep in line with Robert Graves' Tree Calendar, itself an invention by the eponymous poet, in the book poem The White Goddess published in 1948.

Whilst Graves based his work on older sources, even at the earliest, these are fourteenth century, and don't accurately reflect the practices of the ancient Celts. However while they have no basis in empirical fact, they may still work at a poetic level or an inspirational level.

Graves' Celtic Tree Calendar:

Beth (Birch) December 24th to January 20th
Luis (Rowan) January 21 to February 17
Nion (Ash) February 18 to March 17
Fearn (Alder) March 18 to April 14
Saille (Willow) April 15 to May 12
Uath (Hawthorn) May 13 to June 9
Duir (Oak) June 10 to July 7
Tinne (Holly) July 8 to August 4
Coll (Hazel) August 5 to September 1
Muin (Vine) September 2 to September 29
Gort (Ivy) September 30 to October 27
Ngetal (Reed) October 28 to November 24
Ruis (Elder) November 25 to December 22
December 23 Extra day for "Year and a Day"

Now the ancient Celts actually used a lunar calendar, and whilst Graves' attempt tries to simulate it; using these dates won't give you months that all start with a new (or full) moon. Indeed if you were to keep to lunations as starting dates, then the dates would be different every year over a metonic cycle (the 19 year eclipse cycle with the Sun).

The Celts divided their year in to two halves, the Dark half, which began on November 1, (by modern reckoning) with the festival of Samhain and the Light half beginning on May 1 (modern reckoning) with Beltane. So Graves' calendar doesn't fit with ancient practice.

Nevertheless, there's that distinction between historical fact and poetic fact, which can also have significant truth. So it's not necessary to reject Graves and subsequent followers on the basis that there's absolutely no historical evidence to support Celtic Astrology but it is necessary to know which 'truth' you are using and why.

Later followers have developed a list of animal signs, that largely fit the dates given by Graves. That has some linkage to the Zodiac, which literally means a circle of animals. But, the Zodiac used in both Western and Indian Astrology is Solar based and related to the ecliptic; the path that the Sun appears to take in an orbit of the Earth.

There's no definitive list of such animal signs because there's nothing stopping someone 'refining' the lists. In that sense it's a bit like designing a Tarot deck, you can alter the illustrations to make them fit your own perceptions.

It's something you have to live with, but if you're interested in a more magical approach and recognise that what is being taught and practised is not what they did thousands of years ago, you may find it a rewarding investigation.

Hmm...lots of food for thought. Very enlightening. I didn't realize that Celtic astrology is a fairly modern creation. Thank you Minderwiz, I really appreciate the time you took to respond. I just read more about it and I understand it much better now.