To reverse or not to reverse, that is the question.

AnemoneRosie

I've thought from time-to-time that I might take the Majors out of the deck when reading on mundane matters and just use the Courts and Minors. Having the Tower pop up for "Does my dog like me?" seems like swatting a gnat with a sledgehammer (unless it happens to be an ornery, unpredictable species, in which case the Tower reversed might show it to be an "ankle-biter").

I use playing cards for those types of questions. After all, the marriage of TdM and cartomancy is much closer than that of the other traditional Tarot schools.

Barleywine

I use playing cards for those types of questions. After all, the marriage of TdM and cartomancy is much closer than that of the other traditional Tarot schools.

Good idea! I'm still learning that system, mainly in conjunction with Lenormand insets, but I also have the "hedgewhytchery" pdf that I managed to capture before it disappeared. The other resource I want is Foli's book for my Kindle. Any other suggestions?

AnemoneRosie

I personally use a unique blend of Pythagorean and Chaldean numerology. It's a side effect from being obsessed with historical decks in high school and not having access to any. I just read anything that I could get my hands on. While it works for me I'm not sure that it could be easily replicated. However, we have a playing cards reading circle and sign-ups are open right now, if you want to give it a shot! Circles are a great way to learn :)

Richard

I've thought from time-to-time that I might take the Majors out of the deck when reading on mundane matters and just use the Courts and Minors. Having the Tower pop up for "Does my dog like me?" seems like swatting a gnat with a sledgehammer (unless it happens to be an ornery, unpredictable species, in which case the Tower reversed might show it to be an "ankle-biter").

One morning, when using the entire Rider-Waite, minors and all, I got the Tower for my daily card. I worried over it until I went out to my pickup truck and found that the rear view mirror had come unglued from the windshield. Perhaps even Mars may sometimes be something of a pussycat.

Barleywine

One morning, when using the entire Rider-Waite, minors and all, I got the Tower for my daily card. I worried over it until I went out to my pickup truck and found that the rear view mirror had come unglued from the windshield. Perhaps even Mars may sometimes be something of a pussycat.

Well, Mars isn't big on "reflection," so that seems right in character to me.

EmpyreanKnight

It's good that you finally decided to do as you will.

I always read reversals in the RWS and the TdM, though the pips of some decks of the latter might make you cross your eyes. I do not bother with reversals for the Thoth. I have been practicing using elemental dignities though, usually on simple spreads, but I have a long way to go before I can master them.

FinoAllaFine

Really enjoyed reading this topic. I find it quite hard to intuit anything from the number cards in the TdM as they are, and my deck has nothing signifying which way is upright so the reversal issue can be confusing. It's not such a big deal with the cups for example, as they are obviously upright or reversed. Using the white booklet can be a solution to the first problem but as for the second it can muddle things up as you don't know how to read the card.

My initial solution was to only include the major arcana but as mentioned by others this can be a bit of overkill. Now I'm trying to intuit more from the number cards based on the context, for example the 8 of coins could perhaps mean that it doesn't matter which way you look at the situation, it's going to come out as perfectly stable in any case.

Izzydunne

No reversals for me

Reversals are unnecessary. Readings work best when kept simple. That way the message can come through more clearly. I read professionally, have a website and clients. I read TDM majors only, with a 3 card spread. Sometimes a 4th card is necessary if the card in the 3rd position, is looking or moving to the left, and I need to see where it is looking or going. Of course, people can read anyway they wish, but this is my way, and it gets results and clients.