Opals Make Me Cry

GotH

I have the same thing with moonstones. I have no idea why but when I see a particularly beautiful, large moonstone, I get very emotional. It's like it's calling to me. I know, weird...lol..but anyway, I get your opal love. :)

I'm so glad others feel the way I do!

EmpressArwen

I just wanted to add that my husband LOVES that I cry over moonstones...much cheaper than diamonds. ;)

tarotbear

Recently when researching opals I came across some interesting stuff. In the earlier part of the 1800s many people were scared of opals and they were said to bring bad luck, which was due to to the book "The Maiden of the Mist" by Walter Scott (1820s).

"The story of Lady Hermione, who is falsely accused of being a demoness, dies shortly after a drop of holy water accidentally falls on her opal and destroys its color. The public took this to mean that this genius author was warning of the bad luck an opal can bring, so they stopped buying the beautiful gemstone."

I've even heard that up to this day, many people stay away from opals. So silly :)

Thank you for this! I have been telling people this FOR YEARS that some Victorian Novel created this myth about 'Opals are bad luck for you if they are not your birthstone' - tripe, so thank you for the source!

celticnoodle

I just wanted to add that my husband LOVES that I cry over moonstones...much cheaper than diamonds. ;)
:laugh:

yes, I like moonstones too. another water stone, I believe? This led me to google it of course, take a look at this site, which speaks of moonstones properties. It is a lovely stone too--like the opal. :)

http://crystal-cure.com/moonstone.html

shelikes2read

Wow. That's a phenomenal stone. I wish I had a phenomenal wallet that could afford a stone like that. :) Oh, the jewelry I could make!!!

I would have one heck of a hard time parting with anything that looked like that, though, when it came time to actually sell the piece. That would definitely be an issue, lol. So maybe I should be GLAD that my pockets aren't deep enough to invest in a stone I'm not willing to part with, for the time being.

Chronata

Count me in that group as well.
Opals release all sorts of emotions in me.
Mostly Joy...I love them all!...but I don't like the triplet ones that are obviously man made.

I have some beautiful fire opals that look like little beetles, and gorgeous water opals...and a few left from an entire jar of bouder opals...little flashes of color hidden in a rock!
My spouse bought me two beautiful natural opals for our anniversary one year. One is on a chain, and the other is a tiny pocket stone...and both have unbelievable fire!

And like EmpressArwyn, I cry more when I wear Opal or Moonstone. They make me even more sensitive than I already am!

Along with the "Maiden of the Mist", I also heard that the diamond industry at the turn of the century had a hand in spreading the rumors that opals were unlucky, because opals were gaining in popularity so much, that no one wanted to buy diamonds anymore.
I can't find a definitive source, but I don't doubt it.

GotH

Count me in that group as well.
Opals release all sorts of emotions in me.
Mostly Joy...I love them all!...but I don't like the triplet ones that are obviously man made.

I have some beautiful fire opals that look like little beetles, and gorgeous water opals...and a few left from an entire jar of bouder opals...little flashes of color hidden in a rock!
My spouse bought me two beautiful natural opals for our anniversary one year. One is on a chain, and the other is a tiny pocket stone...and both have unbelievable fire!

And like EmpressArwyn, I cry more when I wear Opal or Moonstone. They make me even more sensitive than I already am!

Along with the "Maiden of the Mist", I also heard that the diamond industry at the turn of the century had a hand in spreading the rumors that opals were unlucky, because opals were gaining in popularity so much, that no one wanted to buy diamonds anymore.
I can't find a definitive source, but I don't doubt it.

So there are many of us I take it that feel this way. DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHY? :) Seriously, there HAS to be some form or spirituality linked to this when we feel this way. Like I just caught glimpse of a piece of heaven or something. Seriously, my partner thought I was nuts!

EmpressArwen

So there are many of us I take it that feel this way. DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHY? :) Seriously, there HAS to be some form or spirituality linked to this when we feel this way. Like I just caught glimpse of a piece of heaven or something. Seriously, my partner thought I was nuts!

Since I tend to lean toward the metaphysical side of things (or the WHOOOO-WHOOOO things...sounds like ghost noises..as my husband says lol)...I will say that the reason people are drawn so emotionally into moonstone/opals/things of that nature is because we are open to the vibrational energy around us. We understand that we are a part of everything, that everything has it's own vibrational level. I think we must sync up in some way to these stones. It's like finding a friend that is just like us. It's kind of cool..in a freaky "whooo-whooo" sort of way. lol

EmpressArwen

:laugh:

yes, I like moonstones too. another water stone, I believe? This led me to google it of course, take a look at this site, which speaks of moonstones properties. It is a lovely stone too--like the opal. :)

http://crystal-cure.com/moonstone.html

Awesome. I just sent the link to my husband with a note that says "buy me this stuff" lol...very subtle, I know...think he will get the hint?