Info needed about this Eteilla I deck

Floss

Thanks Bee - great resource! Hope photokat can figure it out - my Ebay seller may have been wrong about the year - there's nothing on the deck or box which indicates it is a 1977 printing ... might be a 1969 like photokat's ...

coredil

photokat said:
Do yours have boxes? The Eteilla decks?
The deck with the whirled back came with the red brown box (see attached pic)
BTW the line drawings on the whirled back deck are much finer and more precise than on the curled back deck.

Best regards

Attachments

• EtteillaBox.jpg
    EtteillaBox.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 320

gregory

Floss said:
I've got one exactly the same as this, card pics identical and have square corners but the backs are slightly different - blue square very fine chequerboard pattern. Box is a bit banged up - no LWB and no idea how old it is either.
Mine is like that - but has the LWB and is dated 1969.

There are loads of backs - including yours (and NOT including mine !) - shown here from this thread.

Here are some rather startling backs from France Cartes that I never saw before:

Floss

Maybe the backs of yours and mine are the same Gregory - you don't have a scan of the backs of yours do you?

gregory

Floss said:
Maybe the backs of yours and mine are the same Gregory - you don't have a scan of the backs of yours do you?
OK - gimme a minute.... I'm cooking with my other hand, like.....

ETA OK - here it is:

Attachments

• etteilla back.jpg
    etteilla back.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 322

gregory

The one on the left is the backs I have - but much duller - is it your pic that's dull ? Mine are VERY blue ! But - my BOX is not the same - it is like your middle one, but all the words are in black and - hang on I shall have to scan it now. It isn't as alike as I thought..... The middle one looks like the France Cartes one, with that back - but did you say it was Grimaud (mine is.) On the back it has the same text at the top, a pic of the Fool in black and white, and the text:

Very ancient Tarot created and played by the Ancients, Egyptians and Gypsies in the middle ages, also referred to in that great book the Cabala. Every card has its meaning from the "Evangelic Card" to the "Snake Card". The 118 figures give you the best interpretation of occult Science and Symbolism.

I am a bit thick; no idea why 118.....

Attachments

• etteilla box.jpg
    etteilla box.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 318

Floss

photokat said:
OK- here are all three
Left 1969 Eteilla,
Middle 1977, Eteilla
Right: the one I have (seemingly in the wrong box perhaps?

http://www.photokat.com/offline/tarot/ettis.jpg

Mine's the one on the left - same box and backs. Gregory, my backs are the same as yours - but mine is a pale blue too. My Ebay guy obviously got it wrong - it's the 1969 version not 77.

photokat

Floss said:
Mine's the one on the left - same box and backs. Gregory, my backs are the same as yours - but mine is a pale blue too. My Ebay guy obviously got it wrong - it's the 1969 version not 77.

Good for you, Floss - the '69 version is SO much nicer.

coredil

photokat your box is indeed from the Marteau Grimaud Ancien Tarot de Marseille and not from the Etteilla.
I have one of this box too and go figure the deck in the box was a beautifull (though uncomplete) Arnoult-Grimaud deck!

Of course I have no real proof for this but I am quite sure that your deck is quite old and certainly from the first half of the last century.

The cardback posted by Gregory is the same cardback used for the Marteau-Grimaud Ancien Tarot de Marseille until today.
You can see plenty of them in the Marteau-Grimaud thread:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=57491

Best regards