Playing Cards

Phoenix

Hey all, I was just wondering if you knew of any good books that dealt with using playing cards for divination.

Thanks!!

Mateo06

I don't know of ne good books, but i fyou want you can just use the tarot definitions. and i think the jack is a page. i am not sure though!

Umbrae

Jack is a Knight. No pages, no Majors.

There are a ton of books on Cartomancy...

And about 9 different sets of meanings for cards.

No two books say the same thing...So I cannot tell you that there are any good books.

Use tarot definitions...takes a lot of 'getting used to' before readings make sense.

If you want to learn a whole new set of definitions, hunt down “It’s all in the cards” by Chita St. Lawrence, or “Fortune-Telling by Playing Cards” by Nerys Dee. I prefer the former to the latter.

Phoenix

I have the one by Chita St. Lawrence, I will look for the other one.

Thanks!

Aerin

I have a Harry Potter playing card deck (Carta Mundi) and all the pip cards have pictures (scenes from the book). I have toyed with the idea of seeing how well they work for readings, but haven't done anything about it.

Aerin

Umbrae

Divination with playing cards different than Tarot.

I would warn you about that. They tend to lack the subtlety found in Tarot.

They are brutally honest. I would not use Harry Potter. Master Potter is cute. The reading may come out as Snape. It takes a while to learn to ‘soften’ the reading, to put sugar onto the unusually blunt readings.

Do not misinterpret me, they do not tend towards the negative, they are just blunt.

Phoenix

Personally, I like blunt as opposed to the sometimes cryptic and fluffy meanings to the Tarot. Mind you, I like the tarot the best, it's just that sometimes I prefer a more direct message.

MystiqueMoonlight

Pheonix,

Have you looked at the Cagliostro Tarot deck? It combines traditional majors with minors that are almost playing cards.

There is a thread in the Tarot Deck forum about these cards and I wrote a brief review of it in that thread.

Whilst this deck will not read exactly as playing cards because of the Tarot influence it certainly leans in that direction and could be a good starting point for you.

Umbrae

Phoenix…Use your Chita book.

When you have questions, pm me…I think you will like it a lot.

MystiqueMoonlight

OK what's a Chita book?