Lunar Astrology-moon phases

dadsnook2000

For Barleywine

It seems that many privately-published or low-budget books of the 70's and 80's were issued multiple times (probably in low print numbers) with casual updates and changes. Once the 1990's came along, print publishing shifted to computer managed publishing and greater format control.

I'm still developing the Moon-to-Sun Return chart methodologies that I mentioned to you some two months back. It looks more exciting as I get deeper into it, much superior to conventional lunar returns. Once you get your reviewing of lunar phases done you should contact me to see where these new developments are going. Dave

Barleywine

Further thoughts on Marc Robertson's "Engine of Destiny":

What is refreshing about this book is that it dispenses with any considerations of sign placement and tight aspect orbs in defining the phase relationships of the planetary pairs. He doesn't quite get clear of standard house meanings though. If you look closely at his delineations, it appears that he symbolically placed the slower planet of each pair on the 1st House cusp and then infused the relationship interpretations with some of the characteristics of the "natural" house placement(s) of each phase, especially where he highlights a specific angle. Examples: in discussing the gibbous 150 degree angle, he mentions "service to others" (a standard 6th house connotation); for the balsamic "30-to-0 degrees behind" relationship, he mentions "martyrs and prophets," which strikes me as a 12th-house connection. I'm not quibbling, but it seems that he didn't extract himself as completely from convention as he claimed.

By and large, though, several of the phase descriptions are entirely congruent with my own experience, notably Jupiter-Saturn "First Quarter 120 Degree" (a remarkable reinforcement of the career-specific ramifications of my natal trine) and Mercury-Jupiter "Full, with Mercury behind," (an equally remarkable elaboration on my out-of-orb, cross-sign natal opposition). In the latter case, the phase expression clearly "works" despite the lack of a traditional aspect, even using the "foot-in-mouth" analogy that I mentioned in one of my previous posts on 1st House Jupiter in Sagittarius. This is good stuff that I will be exercising more fully in future chart analyses.

dadsnook2000

The 3rd and 8th phases

While the 3/8's phase is linked to "service" by Marc Robertson, which you feel is a 12th house attribute, I would note that he sees the last phase as one of preparation, letting go, and accepting that change is coming and needs to be awaited by completing all that has been left undone.

As for the 3/8's phase, I see it more as adjustments and refinements being needed in one's skills and approach to work. Here might be where you change the "damn others" and the problems I've had up until now by a change of attitude, a recognition that you have to go alone to get along and now is the time to start making adjustments so that you can succeed in the larger world later. Dave

214red

i long to understand what you are both syaing, one day i will get it!:)

Barleywine

While the 3/8's phase is linked to "service" by Marc Robertson, which you feel is a 12th house attribute, I would note that he sees the last phase as one of preparation, letting go, and accepting that change is coming and needs to be awaited by completing all that has been left undone.

As for the 3/8's phase, I see it more as adjustments and refinements being needed in one's skills and approach to work. Here might be where you change the "damn others" and the problems I've had up until now by a change of attitude, a recognition that you have to go alone to get along and now is the time to start making adjustments so that you can succeed in the larger world later. Dave

I'm not quite clear on your references here. I was alluding to the gibbous 150 degree relationship (faster planet ahead but not yet at opposition) as an apparent 6th House connotation with Robertson's use of the "service to others" analogy; the idea of "adjustments" is an expression of the quincunx relationship, itself a "natural" 6th House and 8th House phenomenon. Regarding the balsamic relationship, I was only referring to his mention of "martyrdom," which is an exaggerated (and negative) manifestation of the "service to others" motif. (Note that I'm being very careful not to make any mention of Virgo and Pisces in any of this ;)) It just looked like he was bringing in "house" characteristics to flesh out the phase expressions.

By the way, can you shed any light on the connection of the terms "upper" and "lower" aspects to the phase-relationship paradigm? I've always been a bit confused on whether the "upper" aspect is a waxing aspect, with the faster planet ahead, or whether it is a waning aspect (faster planet approaching slower one).