Universal Fantasy ~ Seven of Pentacles

Hemera

This card looks very different from the traditional RWS picture where the farmer is leaning on his spade and looking down at his vegetables and waiting. So, at first I thought the interpretation here would be different but surprisingly it isn´t. There are just more layers to it. Let´s see..This is traditionally called the Card of the Success About to Fulfill. In this card two humans have made their decision and are are patiently waiting for the opportunity to present itself. The humans may want to steal some of the Pentacles or maybe just sneak past the fearsome Unicorn into the city that it is guarding. From the humans point of view most of the traditional (RWS) interpretations are valid: evaluating the status, waiting patiently, pausing to check things out, reaching a milestone, weighing a different approach, standing at crossroads.

But the Unicorn has another view. He is fierce. One can almost hear him snorting and stomping the ground. He is clearly a very dangerous creature. His steel horn on his forehead is huge. He is very sure of himself and he is guarding a treasure and he has no plans of stepping aside or letting anyone enter without his knowledge. I think this adds a new set of meanings to a reading. You can see this card from the traditional RWS viewpoint which is what the waiting humans represent. Or you can look at the situation from the Unicorn´s viewpoint.
This is usually a rather slow and earthy card but the Unicorn gives this card some speed and fire.

This card resembles the Nine of Wands both in color and in the form of the Pentacle tree. In the Nine of Wands the tree was used to carve a flute (from one of the branches) so in a way that tree also carried a treasure (the treasure of music).

Attachments

• 7 Pentacles.jpg
    7 Pentacles.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 146

etherealtarot

Hello, Hemera :)

I love this card. I just got it in a reading today describing a person. I definitely agree that this version is very different from the traditional RWS.

I think the Unicorn is very unique and fierce, like you said. I think the Unicorn is strong and unmoving. If the two people on the bottom were to try and get in it's way, they would surely get trampled. But I don't think they want to get in his way.

In terms of how someone would see another.. I'd say A sees B as something ethereal basically. I don't know how else to put it :laugh: They are able to conquer anything. He thinks they are strong but perhaps guarded. However, A only sees B as guarded because they appear to be strong in looks. We don't really know how the Unicorn is. We only see what he lets the world see which is his unmoving confidence.