looking for a tarot book to learn

ivanna

Hello,

Actually i,m reading the easy tarot handbook by j. Ellershaw, plus one ebook of rachel pollack. The tittle was something like 78 degrees os wishdow, 101 tarot mastering, and also a little book included on the illuminati kit.
I think all of them are being very usefull in order to learn card meanings, but after that I would like to buy something that helps me to interpret better my spreads and get accuracy. Im not looking for a book with thousand spreads. Just a couple but very well explained, with exercices and vaste explanations.

On july will be my birthday, so it may be a fabulous birthdaynpresent.

Could you recommend me any to have a look and may order? I saw the books tarot spreads by barbara moore will it be adequate?

Moonbow

I really like 'Tarot in 78 days' by Katz & Goodwin. I'm on day three, and I'm not new to Tarot but I have always been an advocate of reading a spread as a whole and how the cards interact with each other, and this book has some great exercises for that.

momentarylight

Hello,

Actually i,m reading the easy tarot handbook by j. Ellershaw, plus one ebook of rachel pollack. The tittle was something like 78 degrees os wishdow, 101 tarot mastering, and also a little book included on the illuminati kit.
I think all of them are being very usefull in order to learn card meanings, but after that I would like to buy something that helps me to interpret better my spreads and get accuracy. Im not looking for a book with thousand spreads. Just a couple but very well explained, with exercices and vaste explanations.

Could you recommend me any to have a look and may order? I saw the books tarot spreads by barbara moore will it be adequate?

Barbara Moore's book on spreads interests me as well. If you have ever had a reading from Barbara, you will see that she uses spreads in a very thoughtful and creative way. I think her book suggests ways of creating spreads as well.

The key to a good answer is a good question. So how you frame the question is really important :)

Ms. Jocelyn

I have both of the books mentioned here and I would agree that both are really good for spreads and learning more about the Tarot in general.

"Around the Tarot in 78 Days" and either 2 of these books by Moore:

"Tarot Spreads" and "Tarot for Beginners".

minotaur

"The Easiest Way to Learn the Tarot--Ever" by Dusty White. A wonderful workbook of exercises you will do and relate to. These exercises will teach you to read tarot with your own voice. He also has a free website and youtube videos and I think more stuff...

Check the reviews on amazon. I am one purchaser that gave it five stars.

MzMcKee

If you're reading Pollack then you are at least "advance beginning". Whites book is more for the person who's never picked up the cards "new". It's very good for the very new... But you'll advance past it very quickly once you understand the concept.

As for his forums site... Unless things have changed drastically, you'll get more help here then there. At least here the moderators are active on the site, White's site had very few active users, the mods were never there and White only showed up to push raising money to develop his "deck" now more than 20 years I the making.

Of course I might be a little jaded because as a paying student of his he made several promises to me and his other students and now, almost a year later, he still hasn't made good on them.

Just my thoughts...

ivanna

Thank you all for your answers. I will have a look to all those books and may have a choice.

starseer1979

I have the same deck I downloaded Complete Guide to Tarot Illuminati from amazon its bout 10 bucks , very helpful tells full meanings of the cards and what the reverses are
Hello,

ivanna

Great thank you, i will also consider this, even when i prefer printed books

Asbestos Mango

It's really hard to go wrong with Rachel Pollack. "Tarot Wisdom" is a great book that explores the symbolism and varieties of ways to read the cards in a very easy to read manner. As an added bonus, it's a big, heavy book that you could use to barricade the door in case of zombie apocalypse.

As you start to get a little familiar with the cards, I consider Richard Roberts' "Tarot and You" to be indispensible. It's not a "how to" book, it's a book of transcripts of readings, including one done for Joseph Campbell, that gives you a really good sense on how to read the cards intuitively without relying on "book meanings."

I also like the companion books that come in deck and book sets, they give the artist's perspective on the cards' meaning and symbolism, and can be nice additions to your mental toolkit even when working with other decks.