Short film utilizing The Fool's Journey paradigm

Flynntuplets

Hello everyone,

My name is Flynn Papandrea, an independent artist who’s written a script utilizing the Fool’s Journey paradigm, wondering if anyone is interested in giving me their 2 cents.

About a year ago the tarot found its way into my life, while outside during the intermission of Lawrence of Arabia I stepped on a card, face down. I decided not to look at the card, thinking it was the 8 of spades or something along those lines, suspending my expectations, yet after realizing my credit card had been misplaced, I scrambled around in my pockets, finding a rectangular object, pulling it out and finding The Fool (Rider-Waite). I laughed along with the universe thinking it wasn’t telling me anything I hadn’t already known, until I went online to do a little research about the card and the tarot.

Once learning about the Fool’s Journey paradigm, I remembered a script I had written 6-years prior and somehow felt there were connections with it and the tarot. After reading the script I'd found parallels between the Fool’s paradigm and my story and wanted to expand further. Making a few tweaks, I now have a short script, 11 pages long, reaching to the Wheel of Fortune card, a card dealing with the shadow self, which is apart of the films main theme. Other reasons why I felt this film needed to be made are the objects surrounding my shooting location, which turns out to be my house, dealing with themes incorporated with the tarot, such as endings and beginnings and objects with deeper meanings than their outward appearance. I don’t want to give too much away, that is until the script has been read and any questions I’d be more than happy to answer.

I’m interested in what the Tarot communities’ thoughts are, seeing if they notice the connections between the tarot and my script, interest in the characters, etc. Please let me know if you’d like a copy of the script and we can figure out the best way to get it on your screen.

Best,
Flynn Papandrea

tarotbear

I must say that the idea sounds interesting, but to take a character(s) through the entire Fool's Journey - any idea how long a film this would end up being?

Flynntuplets

Well, I really don't know yet. It could depend on how long a scene needs to stay with a certain card and/or other possible variables. Most likely every won't need the same amount of attention as another and after comparing the journey to other films, I believe it is possible for the paradigm to fit within a 2 hour time frame, possibly shorter. The film I've written is 11 pages and touches upon themes associated with each card paralleled during its scene. I'd love for you to read it and give me your feedback. Thanks.

tarotbear

Two hours is considered a 'short film' ? LOL! :laugh:

Flynntuplets

Hahah, no no no. I wrote that it is possible to fit within a 2 hour film. What I wrote is a short film that's only 11 pages long, ending at the Wheel of Fortune card, which is interesting in that after the first act of a film, a character is confronted with a giant obstacle, the thing that thrusts the film forward. My film ends when that obstacle begins, which is a great way to end a short film: leaving the audience wanting more. 11 pages! haha.

Flynntuplets

...and yes! 11 pages is no short script of mine and definitely one hellofa challenge to fit the entire journey into 11 minutes!

Tarot Terry

As an instructional DVD?

Actually, this strikes me as a wonderful little DVD to help new readers get acquainted with the Major Aracana. Many Newbies regard the Major Arcana as just a group of 'important' cards within the deck. Seeing the story in visual form would make the Fool's Journey really come alive for them. As to how to make this film marketable, I do not know. Perhaps it could accompany a new book? A self-published deck? Good luck on this project!

lilac04

Hi Flynn,

What a great idea! I work in the same industry too, but i never really wanted to make anything based on the tarot cards journey because i was more interested in the non fictional side of things - interviews docos etc. Have you read The Solitaire Mystery? It's a book based on a boy who takes a journey with his father (he's a philosopher) and the boy ends up finding this tiny little book inside a sticky bun with each chapter that begins with a playing card - the predictions that he finds in the book start colliding with his real world. I found it so whimsical but also really moving.

Anyway, just a thought for some inspiration :) I think it's a great idea and could be developed into something nice. Let us know how you go ! :D