Is the Queen of Swords always "cold"?

KnightOfTheCosmos

I did a quick love spread for June with my Shadowscapes deck and the outcome was the Queen of Swords. I understand that the QoS is depicted differently in different decks. For example, in my Deviant Moon deck, she's portrayed as a middle aged woman who is a widower who's weeping and walking alone in a forest with blood dripping from her sword. She represents loneliness, carrying burdens alone, and sorrow.

But for Shadowscapes she's a beautiful (she looks young) woman who knows what she wants and isn't afraid to get down to the truth.

I believe the Queen of Swords is a woman who is deeply in tune with her emotions, but she doesn't let them rule her. She's quite intelligent and independent and she knows how to get to the bottom of things. She's very honest and a truth seeker and she will cut through the BS. She may be blunt at times but I don't think she means any harm. She also seems like she doesn't like to play games. Honestly, she sounds like the type of person who I would find very attractive because we share similar qualities. However, this is the vibe I get from her in the Shadowscapes deck.

The thing is that many people tend to view the QoS as cold and distant overall. Is she always that way? What does she mean in the outcome of a love spread if the querent is single? Could she represent someone I'll meet or characteristics that I need to acquire? (I feel like many people will say it depends on the surrounding cards so I may post it in the Your Readings Section...).

But if anyone can help me, that'd be great. Thank you.

AnemoneRosie

I find her to be VERY misunderstood, and partly because of misogyny. I've noticed that many people (particularly women) dismiss her as "the bitch" of the deck. She isn't, though.

If anything, she's tough and she knows what she wants. She knows how to put aside her emotions and pull up her pants and get things done even if there is fallout. She's the one that you'd want to help you clean out your fridge, or to help with unpleasant tasks that need to happen regardless. She's the one who would be your best choice to help you plan a funeral - not because she's cold, but because she can do these things regardless of her feelings of about it. Others would break down and cry and centre their feelings, which isn't always helpful in the situation. Sometimes things just need to get done. But that isn't "cold." It can be quite helpful. It's the ability to call 911 when your house is on fire, rather than running around shrieking until someone else can get around to it. Those minutes are important.

She could represent someone, sure... but she might also represent the need to give yourself a stern looking through. It could be that your standards are so high that the perfectly decent people are being rejected for perceived flaws that you could totally learn to live with if you gave them half a chance. It could also be that your standards are coming from others, rather than from your own heart - and so are leading you astray. Hence the need for critical evaluation, and maybe trying to say "yes" even when your list of ideal qualities is saying "pass."

Really, it can be helpful to let the spread positions differentiate between outside and inside influences, and whether or not the position represents you or someone else.

Amsonia

But for Shadowscapes she's a beautiful (she looks young) woman who knows what she wants and isn't afraid to get down to the truth.

I believe the Queen of Swords is a woman who is deeply in tune with her emotions, but she doesn't let them rule her. She's quite intelligent and independent and she knows how to get to the bottom of things. She's very honest and a truth seeker and she will cut through the BS. She may be blunt at times but I don't think she means any harm. She also seems like she doesn't like to play games. Honestly, she sounds like the type of person who I would find very attractive because we share similar qualities. However, this is the vibe I get from her in the Shadowscapes deck.

Thank you.

I think you are right on in this interpretation. I identify very much with the queen of swords. I see her as indicating logical, not a lot of drama, reason and problem solving. Not as uncaring or cold, or lonely or whatever. She cares a lot, but will look at problems from an engineering standpoint, how to fix something, so she can be perceived as cold, but only if you don't really know her. She strives for the truth.

As an outcome for a love spread I would say that it's positive. A relationship with good communication, a connection of minds. Open to possibilities, and a good connection of spirit (air)

obeygravity

Ha, I usually show up as the Queen of Swords (switch between her and the Queen of Pentacles) and she's definitely one of the most misunderstood suits in the entire deck. Many people I come by are so quick to write her off as a cold and brutal woman without taking the time to understand her reasoning and position.

The Queen of Swords at her worst (which everyone seems to assume is the position and mindset she is) is cold, cruel and bitter. She's angry and tactical and does not care at all about how you feel and will do whatever she can in order to get results. She can also reflect a widow, someone who's dealt with a great deal of loss in her life which is the root of her coldness. She used to be warmer but could have been used, abused or abandoned and has since been forced to learn how to survive on her own. Trust is a thing she likely struggles with as the only person she likely trusts is herself, lending her to have a very hard time being vulnerable and open to other people. She exists and interacts with the world from the mindset of preconceived loss. She knows it will come and has to come, so her intentions are to find a way to minimize it (for her).

Queen of Swords at her best, however, is absolutely amazing! She is clear headed, objective and empathetic. She's self-sacrificing and hardworking. She understands the trials and tribulations you've been through to be the person that you are and recognizes that. She eagerly acknowledges hard work and provides support for people who are open and willing to help themselves. She is still guarded but within reason. She knows that she can't lend her trust out to anyone and everyone but receiving her trust is a big deal. She still interacts with the world knowing that loss is inevitable but her methods of dealing with loss is proactive rather than reactive as she can be at her worst. She's the kind of friend who will give you the best advice in the world, providing you with new perspectives and different methods of dealing with any problem that you're dealing with. She's still not as openly warm and inviting as, say, the Queen of Wands, but she still goes through the process of showing she cares by being mindful in her words and actions.

Queen of Swords in the outcome of a love reading for yourself looking for love may be saying that it's necessary to take some time to understand what it is that you want out of love. This is a Queen who doesn't eagerly and actively jump into love and relationships. She's slow to move, putting an emphasis on communication and understanding. She wants things to work and while she can go overboard in the ways in which she may vet prospects, she asks you to not be naive in how you approach love. Do not assume that you will receive if you are not putting yourself out there, do not ask more from people than what you're willing to provide. She may also be asking you to take a look at your past relationships and see if you have any patterns that need to be broken (as she is PROACTIVE in trying to prevent heart break or at least minimize it's effects if it's inevitable) and be open and willing to take ownership over your flaws and wounds.

Depending on other cards in the spread, she could be an actual person you meet who could be, depending on the other cards, either the Pleasant Queen of Swords (a conversationalist) or the Not-so-Pleasant Queen of Swords (a bitter defensive being). Either way, at her core, despite putting her mind first, still has a heart and it's likely the most fragile of all the queens. Trust is the biggest thing for her - she wants to be able to trust her heart in your hands and that is something she'll only do if you make the effort to prove yourself worthy of said trust.

KnightOfTheCosmos

I find her to be VERY misunderstood, and partly because of misogyny. I've noticed that many people (particularly women) dismiss her as "the bitch" of the deck. She isn't, though.

I've noticed this too! Even in a tarot workbook I have, the author straight up called her a bitch in the book, but when she comes up as reversed. But I've seen a lot of negative meanings for her even upright.

If anything, she's tough and she knows what she wants. She knows how to put aside her emotions and pull up her pants and get things done even if there is fallout. She's the one that you'd want to help you clean out your fridge, or to help with unpleasant tasks that need to happen regardless. She's the one who would be your best choice to help you plan a funeral - not because she's cold, but because she can do these things regardless of her feelings of about it. Others would break down and cry and centre their feelings, which isn't always helpful in the situation. Sometimes things just need to get done. But that isn't "cold." It can be quite helpful. It's the ability to call 911 when your house is on fire, rather than running around shrieking until someone else can get around to it. Those minutes are important.

She could represent someone, sure... but she might also represent the need to give yourself a stern looking through. It could be that your standards are so high that the perfectly decent people are being rejected for perceived flaws that you could totally learn to live with if you gave them half a chance. It could also be that your standards are coming from others, rather than from your own heart - and so are leading you astray. Hence the need for critical evaluation, and maybe trying to say "yes" even when your list of ideal qualities is saying "pass."

Haha, this is me so hard. I have very high standards because I've been through trauma so I'm guarded. If someone had flaws then I used to immediately dismiss them. Now I try to tell myself that everyone, including myself, has flaws and I should accept them IF the flaws aren't a huge hindrance. My standards are definitely coming from me because I've worked very hard to get where I am at a young age. I want someone who's close to my level (jfc that sounds so egotistical...but I swear I'm not!). I just don't want to keep on struggling. But you're totally right. I think this honestly means if I meet someone I should give them a chance. I dismiss people because I'm afraid to get hurt again. But if I don't give someone a chance (if I sense that someone could be a good fit) then I'll always be alone. And I'm tired of being alone. I've been working through this in therapy for the past almost 2 years, and it'll always be a work in progress. But I'm trying.

Really, it can be helpful to let the spread positions differentiate between outside and inside influences, and whether or not the position represents you or someone else.

This is terrific advice. I will definitely use these positions in the future. Thank you!!.

I think you are right on in this interpretation. I identify very much with the queen of swords. I see her as indicating logical, not a lot of drama, reason and problem solving. Not as uncaring or cold, or lonely or whatever. She cares a lot, but will look at problems from an engineering standpoint, how to fix something, so she can be perceived as cold, but only if you don't really know her. She strives for the truth.

I identify with her too! I personally think we identity as certain court cards in certain situations. For example, knight of Cups in love, king of Wands in business, and so on and so forth. The Queen of Swords sounds like my ideal partner tbh. That honestly sounds like such an amazing relationship for me. :) Thanks for your help!

As an outcome for a love spread I would say that it's positive. A relationship with good communication, a connection of minds. Open to possibilities, and a good connection of spirit (air)

Ha, I usually show up as the Queen of Swords (switch between her and the Queen of Pentacles) and she's definitely one of the most misunderstood suits in the entire deck. Many people I come by are so quick to write her off as a cold and brutal woman without taking the time to understand her reasoning and position.

SAME. I switch between her and other court cards but it depends on the areas in my life. I don't think anyone is one particular court card.

The Queen of Swords at her worst (which everyone seems to assume is the position and mindset she is) is cold, cruel and bitter. She's angry and tactical and does not care at all about how you feel and will do whatever she can in order to get results. She can also reflect a widow, someone who's dealt with a great deal of loss in her life which is the root of her coldness. She used to be warmer but could have been used, abused or abandoned and has since been forced to learn how to survive on her own. Trust is a thing she likely struggles with as the only person she likely trusts is herself, lending her to have a very hard time being vulnerable and open to other people. She exists and interacts with the world from the mindset of preconceived loss. She knows it will come and has to come, so her intentions are to find a way to minimize it (for her).

This makes a lot of sense, especially if she's been through adversity and hardships. A lot of that (the abused part anyways) sounds like me. I have a VERY hard time being vulnerable and trusting others. I'm not cold; I'm actually very warm and friendly. But I'm a bit distant because I'm always trying to figure people out to see if they will betray me or if they'll help me. Doesn't make me sound too good, does it? ^__^;;

Queen of Swords at her best, however, is absolutely amazing! She is clear headed, objective and empathetic. She's self-sacrificing and hardworking. She understands the trials and tribulations you've been through to be the person that you are and recognizes that. She eagerly acknowledges hard work and provides support for people who are open and willing to help themselves. She is still guarded but within reason. She knows that she can't lend her trust out to anyone and everyone but receiving her trust is a big deal. She still interacts with the world knowing that loss is inevitable but her methods of dealing with loss is proactive rather than reactive as she can be at her worst. She's the kind of friend who will give you the best advice in the world, providing you with new perspectives and different methods of dealing with any problem that you're dealing with. She's still not as openly warm and inviting as, say, the Queen of Wands, but she still goes through the process of showing she cares by being mindful in her words and actions.

This is also me, especially now that I'm about to start my career as a counselor. I am willing to help others if they help themselves. I don't have the time to help others if they just keep digging themselves into a deeper and deeper hole. Harsh, I know, but I have to meet you halfway and you have to do the same for me. I'm a mix of the Queen of Swords and King of Cups as a counselor. I don't take people who I really care for for granted, because I know they'll come a day when they're not physically here. So I tend to tell them that I appreciate them or I'm grateful they're in my life (which I truly am if I believe I can trust you and you've shown me that you truly care for me and have stuck around with me at my worst).

Queen of Swords in the outcome of a love reading for yourself looking for love may be saying that it's necessary to take some time to understand what it is that you want out of love. This is a Queen who doesn't eagerly and actively jump into love and relationships. She's slow to move, putting an emphasis on communication and understanding. She wants things to work and while she can go overboard in the ways in which she may vet prospects, she asks you to not be naive in how you approach love. Do not assume that you will receive if you are not putting yourself out there, do not ask more from people than what you're willing to provide. She may also be asking you to take a look at your past relationships and see if you have any patterns that need to be broken (as she is PROACTIVE in trying to prevent heart break or at least minimize it's effects if it's inevitable) and be open and willing to take ownership over your flaws and wounds.

I actually do the opposite, which I know is bad and I've learned I shouldn't do this. But I used to give and give to the people I liked, hoping they would stay. But that never worked. So I've learned that if people want to stay, they will, and I shouldn't have to give an arm and a leg for someone to stay. They either like me or they don't. I've also already looked at my past relationships (platonic because I've only had one pseudo romantic relationship) and noticed that they were codependent and with people who were literally emotionally unavailable. I realized I had to deal with my own issues. Hence, why I've been in therapy for almost 3 years. I have to fix my own issues.

Depending on other cards in the spread, she could be an actual person you meet who could be, depending on the other cards, either the Pleasant Queen of Swords (a conversationalist) or the Not-so-Pleasant Queen of Swords (a bitter defensive being). Either way, at her core, despite putting her mind first, still has a heart and it's likely the most fragile of all the queens. Trust is the biggest thing for her - she wants to be able to trust her heart in your hands and that is something she'll only do if you make the effort to prove yourself worthy of said trust.

Trust is the biggest thing for me too because I've had people use me a lot and lie. So that's super important. This was very helpful! Thanks a lot!

I responded to everyone in bold above!

I should mention this: months ago when I went to a professional tarot and intuitive reader, he read about my love life and one of the cards he got was the Queen of Swords and he described them as the person I would meet in the summer time. So I thought it was interesting that she came up as the outcome for this spread. ^___^;;

AnemoneRosie

In that case of her coming up twice I'd especially believe that she is you.
Because of childhood trauma I identify with her quite a lot.

KnightOfTheCosmos

In that case of her coming up twice I'd especially believe that she is you.
Because of childhood trauma I identify with her quite a lot.

This is a really good point too! I'm thinking of posting the whole spread because, actually, I should have mentioned this in the beginning: there was already a position in the spread that represented me and it was the Page of Pentacles, which usually comes up for me when I'm in the process of reinventing and learning who I am as a person.

Disa

Wow! I came to just answer your initial Q"Is the Queen of Swords always cold?" I totally identify with this card and think she resembles me most as far as queens go, and after reading ALL of your interpretations, I can say, "Yes, she is me or I am her" . HA.

Anyway, no she is not ALWAYS cold. I don't have much to add because what everyone else said is just so perfect. However, I can say- she may be perceived as cold because of her ability to cut through the crap- and also to cut crap out of her life. As others have mentioned, she is not quick to trust others. If someone does earn her trust, she will give them her all, and if that person then betrays her, she will not hesitate to cut them out of her life. She may have lived an entire lifetime surrounded by drama, and at this stage chooses not to have any around her. It's her ability to see clearly what others can't (or won't) that allows her to just get over it and move on. She's been through too much, seen too many things, knows what's important and what isn't, so her priorities may not lie in the pettiness of everyday irritations, but rather how things affect other things in the grand scheme of life. She's out to make things easier by not focusing on the trivial matters but by seeing the big picture and a very clear path towards it.

magicjack

The Queen of Swords can't help it if she's the smartest person in the room! She makes a great friend. She makes a terrible enemy. She don't like bull crap. I bet she thinks there should be a law against stupidity.