lovers, devil and feelings

BrightEye

I think I've read through all the threads on what the Devil might mean when he stands for someone's feelings for another. Now, if the Devil stands for attraction, what does the Lovers stand for in that position? Love without attraction? I somehow don't get it. Or does the devil have a negative side always attached to it, such as the desire to have power over what is desired? Or is the devil simply desire without emotion?

tryingtoreadtarot

it could be the person feels they need to make a choice, they feel the connection, but are not sure on which road to take. also it depends what cards are surrounding this....if it is surrounded by 2 cups, ace cups it could mean a meaningful relationhip where the person has to make the choice to move it forward and wants to! if surrounded by the 9 swords it could mean a relationship that has a lot of anxiety around it

Lexie

BrightEye said:
the desire to have power over what is desired? Or is the devil simply desire without emotion?

Exactly that I think! Devil usually means a desire to control and passion without emotion.. No real love, just sex...:)

BrightEye

Lexie said:
Exactly that I think! Devil usually means a desire to control and passion without emotion.. No real love, just sex...:)
Maybe it's me then. I just can't get my head around THAT.

tryingtoreadtarot

now i see what u were asking...

yes, devil and lovers is a card about primal energy....sex only and almost like an addiction to the person for just that...when combined with the lovers

balenciaga

I agree that the Devil is the negative aspect of the Lovers - as if these 2 cards are opposite sides of the very same coin. Devil has fear, obsession, materialism, lust attached to it, with no great moral value or higher aim associated with it. Lovers sits on a higher moral plane; its aims are true and pure and positive and loving. It speaks of growth, whereby the Devil seeks to achieve its ends quickly with nothing good to show for it. No lasting effects, no investment of self.

lark

BrightEye said:
I think I've read through all the threads on what the Devil might mean when he stands for someone's feelings for another. Now, if the Devil stands for attraction, what does the Lovers stand for in that position? Love without attraction? I somehow don't get it. Or does the devil have a negative side always attached to it, such as the desire to have power over what is desired? Or is the devil simply desire without emotion?
I have had the Lovers come up when someone is trying to combine the male and female side of themselves...coupled with the Devil as feelings it would show me that the infatuation, desire, and attraction is very strong almost a bondage to this other person because they somehow love you in a way that makes you feel a combination of your feminine and masculine.
If this has been a problem for you the feeling of finally being complete in the presence of this person can be very addictive...almost as if you can't be your true whole self without them.

BrightEye

lark said:
I have had the Lovers come up when someone is trying to combine the male and female side of themselves...coupled with the Devil as feelings it would show me that the infatuation, desire, and attraction is very strong almost a bondage to this other person because they somehow love you in a way that makes you feel a combination of your feminine and masculine.
If this has been a problem for you the feeling of finally being complete in the presence of this person can be very addictive...almost as if you can't be your true whole self without them.
Now that you state it like you do, I think I always feel like that when I'm in love because my whole sense of self is somehow defined by an absence or lack that I crave to be filled.

lark

BrightEye said:
Now that you state it like you do, I think I always feel like that when I'm in love because my whole sense of self is somehow defined by an absence or lack that I crave to be filled.
Yes, and once you identify that you can then try to see yourself combining Lovers with the Star or Temperance....a more balanced way of loving where you don't loss yourselfe in the process...this creates a place where lasting relationships can form because you bring your whole authentic self to the relationship...not a person who is trying to be always filled up by her partner.
I see so many relationships fail because of this Devil/ Lovers combo....the strain on the relationship is too much when one feels they have to always be filling up another.

all this is said in love and with blessing to you BrightEye...I can feel you searching and you seem to be right on the edge of discovering...keep going.
It will bring happiness.

Grizabella

BrightEye said:

Addiction=dysfunction and dysfunction in relationships=co-dependency. That sounds like what you describe there. Losing yourself in the presence of another in the desire to please that other. In co-dependency, a person becomes what they believe they need to be to win or to keep the love of the one they love.

We as women are taught co-dependency from the old, antiquated ideas of what women should be in relationships. We're taught it by seeing it in other women around us as we grow up. "A woman's place", etc.