Beginner's TdM Guidelines

Barleywine

I've always scratched my head over how to make sense of all the bits-and-pieces of the ornamentation (buds, flowers, leaves, branches), and usually just default to the suit-and-number approach. But the metaphor of a "fenced garden" gives me a fresh way to look at them (and coincidentally aligns with the "ternary/quaternary" experiments I've been doing). Also, the "seed-to-seed" analogy is a good one: as the "perfection" of a suit, the number 9 suggests the harvest, and the number 10 the husbanding of seed for the next planting.

Richard

The fashionable tabula rasa intrinsic approach to the TdM could help those who are locked into what are considered to be the 'traditional' Rider-Waite meanings. It is certainly elegant, but it may not work for everyone, nor is it necessarily the way the TdM was read before people allowed themselves to be sucked into Rider-Waite-ism.

We don't know much about how the typical fortune teller used the TdM. Unfortunately (perhaps), we do know something about the philosophical approaches to Tarot by Etteille, Court, Levi, Papus, Wirth, and the like, who did not restrain themselves with the straitjacket of strictly intrinsic interpretation. No doubt some readers would read the minors in a fashion similar to playing card cartomancy, of which there must have been many variants.

It might be good therapy for Rider-Waite addicts to try using only the TdM Trumps, at least at first. Why torment yourself trying to read the minors if you find it so terribly difficult? (Even EE uses only trumps when, as he says, his pockets aren't big enough to hold a full deck.) This would definitely be an anti-Waite approach, since Waite himself was of the opinion that only the minors were really appropriate for divination. Divinatory meanings for the trumps given in his tarot book are a concession to those who feel compelled to use the entire deck.

LauraKai

What a great article! Thanks for sharing ☺

Barleywine

I'm in the middle of reading Cherry Gilchrist's Tarot Triumphs, which focuses only on the trump cards. I haven't reached the divination part yet, but based on the overall quality of the book so far, I'm expecting it to be useful.

MinervasOwl

Beginners TdM Guidelines

For over twenty years I have done a monastic practice called lectio divina with the major arcana. Here is a link to my teachers explanation of lectio divina http://www.valyermo.com/ld-art.html

The first step, with respect to keeping a zen mind, contains the guideline: Just look at the images. Although I was trained to teach critical thinking (i.e. beginning logic), I am also trained as a visual artist. Over the years, I have come to believe there is a way of knowing through the arts. For example , as a playwright I work on solving real life problems through creating characters and dialogue. Further, I was trained as a critical art therapist back in the 1990s. This involves deeply looking and seeing different interpretations. Note, I never finished the art therapy program and so I only speak from memory. But, above all, I believe looking at the card contains all the information I need to know. The only problem is I have spent more than 20 years sporadically doing lectio with the major arcana. This means I have an active meaning alive in my heart. The book I used was this one, Here is a link to a free copy. You may purchase a hard copy on Amazon too.

http://tarothermeneutics.com/tarotliterature/MOTT/Meditations-on-the-Tarot.pdf

I have done my second spread ever this weekend and it is eye opening

Barleywine

For over twenty years I have done a monastic practice called lectio divina with the major arcana. Here is a link to my teachers explanation of lectio divina http://www.valyermo.com/ld-art.html

The first step, with respect to keeping a zen mind, contains the guideline: Just look at the images. Although I was trained to teach critical thinking (i.e. beginning logic), I am also trained as a visual artist. Over the years, I have come to believe there is a way of knowing through the arts. For example , as a playwright I work on solving real life problems through creating characters and dialogue. Further, I was trained as a critical art therapist back in the 1990s. This involves deeply looking and seeing different interpretations. Note, I never finished the art therapy program and so I only speak from memory. But, above all, I believe looking at the card contains all the information I need to know. The only problem is I have spent more than 20 years sporadically doing lectio with the major arcana. This means I have an active meaning alive in my heart. The book I used was this one, Here is a link to a free copy. You may purchase a hard copy on Amazon too.

http://tarothermeneutics.com/tarotliterature/MOTT/Meditations-on-the-Tarot.pdf

I have done my second spread ever this weekend and it is eye opening

Thanks for the link, I'll spend some time with this. I'm not a Christian and don't have much patience for apparently Christian mysticism or esotericism as presented in the download, but I am interested in any link between Zen and tarot. I have a couple of other Hermetic meditation books on the tarot by Paul Foster Case, the anonymous "Three Initiates" and the Holy Order of MANS that are more qabalistic than Christian, and that's where most of my interest lies. But I won't prejudge.

_R_

There is a chapter on Lectio Divina and the Tarot in Jean-Michel David's book, "Reading the Marseille Tarot". The author is none other than AT's very own JMD.

As for Zen and Tarot, there is a little-known connection between Zen (or more properly speaking, its Chinese manifestation, Ch'an) and the I Ching, the Book of Changes.

That the Ch'an school, in one instance, made use of the hexagrams of the Book of Changes speaks volumes, and it is quite possible that an analogous connection could be made between the Tarot and this type of teaching.

As for Valentin Tomberg, the Anonymous author of the book linked to above, and his work, it is one that all serious Tarot aficionados ought to read at least once in their lifetimes, regardless of religious affiliation.

MinervasOwl

Does Jean Michael David have any plans on releasing an e version? The book is a little pricey at $86

The Meditations on The Tarot borrows from many wisdom traditions and is not only for Christians