RWS - 0 the Fool

teomat

Richard said:
One thing that puzzles me...If one views the sun as Kether, then the Fool's wand is placed exactly where a path would go; but the path shown would be path 12, whereas the Fool is 11.
I've been wondering about this as well. The Fool's stance itself (facing left) also seems to indicate the path from Kether to Binah (path 12).
If you consider the Magician too, he's pointing from Kether to Chokmah, instead of Kether to Binah.

In the TdM, both the Fool and Magician seem to face the 'correct' directions.

Might not mean anything, but I found it curious nonetheless...

Teheuti

I thought I'd resurrect this discussion. I found this poetical piece of writing from Waite that seems to describe the Fool image. It speaks of the Fool as on the first path on the Tree of Life from Kether to Chochmah. In this description we see the Soul in its first emergence from Kether. This is from Azoth or The Star in the East

"Through the darkness of the Obscure Night—faint and slow, then permeating and suffusing, then overwhelming, absorbing, rapid, bright, glittering—there comes the gleam of a rising radiance—the Eos* of Light, the Celestial Convolvulus, the Morning Glory comes:

And radiant on the hills the Morning* stands,
Her saffron hair back blown from rosy bands,
And light and joy and fragrance in her hands.

This is the Soul's awakening. Now the Soul awakens after the manner that the sun rises, for in herself she never sleeps. It is the mind which becomes illuminated by her knowledge, and we are lifted into a higher sphere of consciousness. This is the first state of transcendental knowledge, and the first experience in the positive unification of potencies. It is called the Absorption of Quietism**; but what are we to understand by this bizarre term, which seems in a vague and half-realized fashion to open the gulf beneath our feet and to expose the height above our head, till we pause dizzy, possessed once again by the fear of the unknown, facing once more the portents of mystery, and stung by the electric shock of the "awe which freezes words"?

*Goddess of the Dawn -mkg
**The Absorption of Quietism is a name Waite used for a state necessary to Union with the Divine, but not quite the Union itself.

Originally published in 1893 - 16 years before the RWS deck. It suggests some of the thinking that may have led Waite to change the Fool so radically from the designs that had come before.

Richard

That's a great passage from Azoth or the Star in the East! It is clear that Waite's concept of The Fool emerged from that kind of thinking.