Natural World Tarot

rylla

The Magician card is to die for! Cheetah is my favorite animal on the world and its expression is very well captured.

Tippyjane

I've been waiting and watching this one! - backed it (though shipping seems high for within the USA).

gregory

Um - PLEASE edit your campaign. The words "Rider-Weight" are hurting my brain.... and I suspect may well put many off, as the spelling suggests you don't know your tarot... (If you hadn't posted as a member here that is exactly what I would have thought, and I would have passed it by.)

reall

just to say check on your pledge rewards as well!:)) there is Tarot deck reward with guidebook for 20$ or more?:) same level as print reward above!^^ sounds too good to be true!^^ lolz ;))

francesca713

I'm not talking about the symbols but the composition and proportion of the artwork. It's done in a different medium, much smoother, and includes decorative details. But the Hermit card is not only "twice the same symbolic animal" which wouldn't make me angry - nearly every deck has a wheel on trump X, so what? Serious tarot artists re-interpret the same symbols in different style.

But here the case is different. Look at some of her other cards. She uses the same compositions like Kim Krans, only calls the cards by different name. So the fawn is no longer Page of Pentacles but the Fool. Still, it's stylistically very close.

If I had to judge whether this is plagiarism nor not, which would involve a much more serious analysis, I wouldn't look at the choice of non-traditional symbols but at HOW they are depicted.

And IMO there's hardly a doubt that these cards were "inspired" by Kim Krans' original work.

I wouldn't feel angry if she had mentioned that somewhere. But this feels like taking a ride on a hugely successful concept.

Sorry, I can't come to any other conclusion.

Btw, both the Badger's Forest and the Shadowscapes use foxes as symbols. In the Badger's Forest deck, they're the Cups symbol animal: intuitive, secretive. In the Shadowscapes, they appear on the Wands cards: their red colour, exuberance, cleverness, quickness.

So there are very different ways to interpret animals.

I'll have another look at this deck and be back with a more serious opinion.

I think she did mention that she was inspired by The Wild Unknown in the video for her kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/509144929/natural-world-tarot-deck-major-arcana

I definitely see the similarities but I think the styles are too different for there to be a case for plagiarism. (Also, love Shadowscapes.)

FaintlyMacabre

Somewhere (I would suspect there's a link here), I saw her say she started it as a HS project. I see the Wild Unknown seems to have come out in 2012.

This artist is now a sophomore at Pratt. (I'm not taking any sides here.)

I think it's an attractive deck but it yet remains to be seen if I can read with any animal deck. She may have trouble raising that for a majors only.

Pips - pentacles - chipmunks; swords, hawks; cups, swans; wands, foxes?(just playing pips only - nothing to do with her deck)

Diana

natural world tarot

Hello Everyone!

I am the illustrator for The Natural World Tarot. First I would like to say that I agree. Most of my artwork is a bit too heavily inspired by The Wild Unknown. When I began working on this deck I was about 17 and it was for a high school assignment. I only planed on making four cards. However, I had people that were very close to me, and very supportive of my work. Because of them I decided to continue with the creating of the Major Arcana. I looked very closely to The Wild Unknown at the time because my knowledge of tarot was very limited. It has taken me two and a half years to get this far and I have learned a lot!

I eventually want to create a full 78 card deck. This being said, I dont intend on keeping all of the cards that I have created for various reasons. One of them being that they are too similar to The Wild Unknown.

If you look at my Kickstarter video I begin to explain that my main goal is to inspire people, and it gets super cheesy after a while but the truth is that the people that have taken interest in this deck are so important to me. I don't know most of them, but thats ok! I want to begin production of this deck to make it accessible for everyone!

This deck is still in its beginning stages even thought there is a kickstarter being made and it seems like I know exactly what I am doing. Please be patient with me. I am learning and working very hard on these. I truly do appreciate everyones concerns and wise words. I will be correcting my mistakes along the way.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me! Thank You!

natural world tarot

Um - PLEASE edit your campaign. The words "Rider-Weight" are hurting my brain.... and I suspect may well put many off, as the spelling suggests you don't know your tarot... (If you hadn't posted as a member here that is exactly what I would have thought, and I would have passed it by.)

I apologize for that! Oh my goodness that is incredibly embarrassing! I remember seeing that mistake, however I thought I had fixed it! Thank you so much for letting me know!

gregory

Spellchecker strikes again, I imagine :D