21 ways - Study Group - Discussion thread

mosaica

I just got this book yesterday and am planning to join the study group as soon as I pick a deck. I'm thinking of using the Nigel Jackson because I like the deck, but have a hard time with the switched elemental associations. For those of you who have gone through the steps, do you think switched elements will confuse the issue, or that the book might make them clearer for me?

dadsnook2000

With Tarot, it's the intent that counts.

With Tarot, it's the intent that counts to a large degree. The Robin Wood book notes the switch in Swords and Wands, but the card illustrations seem to be like the conventional Waite-Smith. Witches Tarot also makes the switch but the book compares its meanings to other deck's meanings to help clarify differences.

My thoughts are to adopt the "intent" to use it in one way or the other unless the card pictures clearly cast in the Swords-are-Fire category. The book we use makes great use of the illustrations, among other things, so you don't want to not use the card images to the fullest extent. Dave

mosaica

I chose to go with the Nigel Jackson deck, and I did get a Sword card -- the Eight -- but it isn't one for which the elemental switch should cause a problem. (There are no fire images in the card. And interestingly, the other two cards I drew were a court card an Ace, two cards for which it *would* have been a problem. Needless to say, I had an easy choice. :) )

So for those of you who have finished the exercises in the book, how would you say doing them has changed they way you read the cards?

Starling

I only did the Apprentice steps, and recently finished posting them here. I got a lot out of doing it, probably more than I would have if I had just read the book on my own. So much that I am considering picking another card and doing it again. I'm really not "ready" to go on to the Adept stage because there are so many cards I haven't relearned yet.

There really are 21 ways to get into a card, especially if you go blank when you see the card, and you will learn them. A lot of them build on one another. So one of the things you will get out of this study is a quiver of arrows to use when you are reading, and most of them won't involve you running to your favorite book.

But she does have you do book meanings as well, and that step teaches you how to use a book when you are totally blank.

Your question was how has it changed how I read the cards. Right now I'm reading for myself, and trying to relearn what I used to know several years ago. It made me a lot more confident.

mosaica

Starling, that sounds like exactly what I need because I *do* go blank! It's like a deer in the headlights sometimes. Fortunately, I read for myself 99 percent of the time, so I can have patience with myself. But I would like to improve my ability to read for others.

Starling

The very first step is to say the card's name. Sometimes that is enough to get your mind going again. The second step (although all of us seem to do it as part of the first step in this study) is to start describing the card. I don't know about you, but when I'm doing that something happens, and everything else I already know about the card starts coming out of my mouth.

Both of those things were part of Mary Greer's earlier books, so they were easy for me. Some of the other steps were harder and there are some you just can't do without the book. You will do better with the book if you read the chapters for all of the steps, but anyone can actually start the study while they are waiting for the book to arrive.

dadsnook2000

Words of encouragement and thanks . . .

Mary Greer has been following our thread, as she always does. I have received a message from her expressing her admiration on the level of sharing and participation. She also notes the support that is given to those who are starting and continuing their studies. Although you all know how much you put into this study, I think it's nice to know that others recognize this also. We're doing good, real good. Dave

Skimo

I would be happy to join if it's possible.

I just received the book to day, now I will have to choose which deck to work with...

dadsnook2000

For Skimo

By all means join up. Several others have just started in the past couple of days and are on the early steps. Stay up with them and share thoughts and remarks. It's good to work within a small group. And, the rest of us will also be here as well. See you soon. Dave

dadsnook2000

One Year of Study

As we close out January and a year of study within the "21 Ways" study group, we have reached some impressive milestones.

** 1085 posts have been made.

** Almost 37,000 reads of those posts have occurred.

This better-than 35:1 ratio of readers to posters shows that our studies are being closely followed with great interest by many, many lurkers who have chosen to study on their own at their own pace. So, our study group is helping many more than those who choose to openly participate.

However, I do extend a warm invitation to those who have followed our group to also openly join us and share with us, as well as permit us to share with you. Being part of the group adds so much more to the depth of understanding and community that we enjoy here. Dave