Symbolon Deck

Alea

Hey there guys!
So, I was looking through youtube and checking out some readings by some youtubers there, and I stumbled upon Divinationery's review of the Symbolon Deck!
The cards are just amazing to look at! They work with Astrology and Past Life type of questions, from what I gather, but you can also use them even if you don't have much knowledge of astrology, though it would be harder to use/understand, i guess?
It was originally made by AGM in 1993, but it's still available from US Games Inc, however!
I absolutely LOVED how Divinationery used these cards to "blend" with her Radiant RWS, just so cool. :)
Anyway! I wanted to see if any of you ATers have/had this deck? What do you think of it? How has it worked for you? what are your thoughts on it?
It has 78 cards, but it does not follow the RWS tradition, it has some cards that seem to be reminiscent of some other cards from the RWS deck, but not so much, some say it can also be used as an oracle deck, but not so much as well. A lot say it's more "memory trigger" than anything.
Well, that's it from me, can't wait to hear from you guys!
(Also, seeing the nature of this deck, I'm a bit confused on where to put it, so I do so apologize to you mods if you have to change it!)

Nica

I have the old and new version of this deck. I use the newer one.

It's great! When I read, I don't pay attention to the astrological correspondences, because in a sense they are already illustrated in the card. You can gather intuitively what is going on and piece together a coherent and very powerful story.

I've used this deck for past life readings and weave together stories of people living in the Medieval Times as well as in the Renaissance, sometimes even in the Dark Ages. I've seen stories of alien entities, starseeds and terrestrial people who lived an average life to then go on a journey that changed their fate forever.

I have also used it to do readings for people who are alive today. While it is not a tarot deck, it sheds lots of light on behavior and lifestyle. It's really very great.

I wish the borders on the new edition were thinner. The card stock marks easily; the gold print rubbed off from the back of one of my cards and I have a very distracting while splotch.

In terms of storytelling, this deck aces it. I can definitely recommend it. It is not my favorite, but it reads extremely well still.

The illustrations are very nice!

ana luisa

I also have this deck and use it in conjunction with Tarot cards. usually as final advice. It is also magnificent for analysing psychological vibes and implications in relationships. And much to my surprise, it has a VERY interesting LWB. Especially the titles. The only downside to it deck is that it's a bit gloomy at times. Like a moody old man.

Alea

I have the old and new version of this deck. I use the newer one.

It's great! When I read, I don't pay attention to the astrological correspondences, because in a sense they are already illustrated in the card. You can gather intuitively what is going on and piece together a coherent and very powerful story.

I've used this deck for past life readings and weave together stories of people living in the Medieval Times as well as in the Renaissance, sometimes even in the Dark Ages. I've seen stories of alien entities, starseeds and terrestrial people who lived an average life to then go on a journey that changed their fate forever.

I have also used it to do readings for people who are alive today. While it is not a tarot deck, it sheds lots of light on behavior and lifestyle. It's really very great.

I wish the borders on the new edition were thinner. The card stock marks easily; the gold print rubbed off from the back of one of my cards and I have a very distracting while splotch.

In terms of storytelling, this deck aces it. I can definitely recommend it. It is not my favorite, but it reads extremely well still.

The illustrations are very nice!

Hi Nica! How does the new version feel opposed to the old one? (shuffling, card stock, matte, shine/glossy or not shiney/glossy.)
Thanks for the feedback. I have read the threads Glass Owl kindly provided and I've read there has been quite a bit of people complaining of the same thing in terms of the gold print being rubbed off. :S quite sad, it's almost like black borders.
Can I ask what kind of readings you've gotten with it? just an example, something that really ... i dont know, amazed, befuddled and threw you for a loop? that kinda thing? got any story that really struck out with you? :)

Alea

I also have this deck and use it in conjunction with Tarot cards. usually as final advice. It is also magnificent for analysing psychological vibes and implications in relationships. And much to my surprise, it has a VERY interesting LWB. Especially the titles. The only downside to it deck is that it's a bit gloomy at times. Like a moody old man.

Yeah, it looks like a deck you would use like that, it has that psychological aspect that can be used. I've seen a few who've used it to "blend" with their readings. I actually went totally fangirling when I first saw it! It's such an amazing looking deck, and the stories you can garner off it! If it weren't so expensive, I'd buy it now, now, now, now! :D (I must also say i've spent so much on Tarot Decks this year, it's not even funny. I still have half a dozen decks on the way so... I must practice restraint! *Boo hooooooo!* )
And in terms of your "moody old man" reference... I agree... Dear goodness, I saw the "Abortion" card, with the priest looking man throwing a little baby into the fire. Yup. I agree. Gloomy.

ana luisa

And in terms of your "moody old man" reference... I agree... Dear goodness, I saw the "Abortion" card, with the priest looking man throwing a little baby into the fire. Yup. I agree. Gloomy.

Funny you should mention this particular card. I have no problems using it. To me, it is just symbolizing letting go of something you cherish very much. A very painful but necessary farewell. Or phanaticism. Or going too far. It really depends on the reading. In any case, I never saw it as actually KILLING A BABY. I don't think they would even include such a thing in a deck...

Alea

Funny you should mention this particular card. I have no problems using it. To me, it is just symbolizing letting go of something you cherish very much. A very painful but necessary farewell. Or phanaticism. Or going too far. It really depends on the reading. In any case, I never saw it as actually KILLING A BABY. I don't think they would even include such a thing in a deck...

True, very true. "Letting go of something precious to you" nothing more truer for that particular card, but you gotta admit, that's quite a cringe-worthy card.

swinkelp

About the Abortion Card

Maybe some extra food for thought on the Abortion Card:

* It shows a big sacrifice (the inner child - Cancer) we all sometimes make for an Idea / Ideal / Idol (Scorpio)

* It is an elderly woman, not capable of bearing a child of herself anymore.

* Remember fairy tales having children sacrificed (e.g. Snowwhite, Hansel & Gretel)

* There is the Ammonite god Moloch, to which children were sacrificed by throwing them in a fire. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moloch). Nowadays it refers to someone demanding or requiring costly sacrifices.

Check out:
Abandoning the Child
James Hillman, Uniform Edition 6.1: Mythic Figures pp. 80-123

Taking the Dark with Open Eyes:
Hidden dimensions of a psychology of abortion
Lyn Cowan, Tracking the White Rabbit, p. 42

Grtz,
Patrick

bud

bump

Bumping this thread bc I actually joined this community because of the Symbolon deck I just started using. I liked the "grumpy old man" comment bc I feel my deck is kind of a cheeky little monkey! I've never felt such an energetic connection to a deck quite like this before.

I haven't done the astrological readings with it yet (mostly because I am trying to keep the variables low as I bond with the deck), but the readings that have been coming out have been really illuminating. Although I've asked about "past lives" to illuminate my current issues, what I'm getting is not so much an "I was a slave in Egypt" kind of reading, but really pointed truths.

It is not a gentle deck, I will say that, but it does seem to have a sense of humor. Has anyone else felt this with their Symbolon?

I also have the sense that I can't hide anything from it and that it isn't here to cater to me in any way. E.g., my very first reading was incisive (about an unhealthy relationship), so I thought I'd try a meatier question for my second reading (the great ambivalence I've had since childhood toward parenthood). Well, the deck responded pretty much saying that I can't buy my way to spiritual enlightenment, which I took to mean that the spiritual tools I purchase won't give me all the answers if I don't do the tough work of going inward and connecting with my subconscious. In other words, it refused to answer my particular question and gave me more general advice.

It did the same in the next reading I did (about why I tend to neglect my physical health), and it answered a question that was even more deeply buried, basically saying I need to experience a fall before I rise up again. Two more readings since then have basically told me that I am asking the wrong questions and that there isn't any getting around to do the rough journey through the underworld. FUN.

Really digging this deck! It's like having a straight-shooting aunt who knows what's really bothering you, will tell you the hard truths, and not let you weasel out of anything. It may seem cruel and abusive, but you know she's doing it out of deep love and wisdom, and her words hit like truth.