Clonemaking

itolin

Hi. Currently I'm in the process of making a majors only non-traditional personal deck. The cards are surreal and pretty much a deconstruction of various 'understandings' that are dug up from the caves of my questionable brain; there, I couldn't care less about the traditional symbolism. xD

But as a somewhat-side project I'm considering making a RWS clone to acquaint myself better with RWS system (and balancing things, I'm a Libra :X ). This deck is intended as a prop for a graphic novel, a character there reads tarot and I figured that drawing/ designing a (majors only, the comic's not that long >.>; ) deck is infinitely less headachy than trying to find and acquire the copyright of another deck. In making a clone I should be able to suit the mood of the story and make it ...hmm, easier to recognize and learn for non-tarot adepts? Expecting the readers to be mostly unfamiliar with Tarot.
I realize it won't be original, but rather than untraditional deck, it seems that a clone would do the job better.

What I'm asking is how would you approach cloning? Any tips?

I'm thinking of having it art deco - noveau ish, with french grey-scale as the main color scheme. Save accents of yellow-gold and maroon, it would be monochromatic, so I won't keep most of the color symbolism.

Should I just redraw the whole thing in another style? Or messing with placements despite having the symbols present?

Or as long it bears passing resemblance and/or connection to the card title, it's good to go? D:

*is mucho confused* X.X;