Questions/survey on writing the text...

archeon

So... I'm currently in the stage of writing the accompanying text on the Stygian Darkness Tarot -http://www.stygiandarkness.com/tarot/index.html

and I was wondering how other people go about this... specifically these questions come to mind:

How much of an explanation of each card is warranted?

Should the minor arcana have as much coverage as the major?

Assuming you have purchased a Tarot deck in the past, do you find the included book helpful? or do you not even read it?

Would the inclusion of a deck specific spread be of any interest?

HudsonGray

While my deck has been admittedly low cost, self published - people have responded back about the LWB and two spreads I included with it. So yes, I'd say that they do read the thing.

I don't think you should skimp on the minors at all, and if there's anything specific to your deck you should put it in also, such as anything regarding the art or influence you worked from. I know the LWB has limited space but I've also seen books with pamphlets printed (up to 65 pages) and if you have enough, a full 'book' can actually be done if you can cover the cost on that. Printing is expensive when you start getting away from the basics.

The LWB can be entirely done on your computer, either by itself or as the original you take to the printer. One 2-sided page can be cut & sliced into a 16 page LWB & hand stapled. But give yourself enough room for cutting between the pages. The print rollers shifted the page slightly when these were printed for me & my slice marks had to be very careful because the backs weren't 100% lined up with the front text for the pages. I should have run my margins out further to the edge on it, that would have helped.

With a deck different enough like yours, people will be looking to the text you write, to get a good connection to the cards. Adding in extras here & there will help them get a feel for where you were coming from when making the deck.

Ravenswing

LWB or GBT (Great Big Text) ??

archeon--

The deck I'm working on is accompanied by a book on an entire majickal system, so I've got lots of room to do what I want.

I explain the background of the card, symbology stuff. I don't describe the card itself; it's right there in front of you. Do I have to tell you that the dog is bitting the Fool's leg??

And I shy away from giving 'the meaning of the four of cups is...' sort of thing. Explain your art. It's up to others to interprete it.

I think the Minors should merit as much as the Majors. I hate he books with a four page rundown on the majors, plus picture, plus interpretations.... while the Minor gets a line or two.

And don't skimp on the Courts. I think these are the cards that most people have trouble with.

I read all the LWB and GBT. There's always something to them. And definitely include a deck-specific spread. The whole booklet is deck-specfic; don't omit an important part of your system.

Of course, these are only my preferences. The management claims no part of them. Use at your own risk })

fly well
Raven

archeon

thanks for the help... both of you have given me some things to think over!

blackroseivy

What about sharing the writing duties?

I am in the midst of creating my deck (the holographic one!), & it will be very innovative in several respects; however, I have mixed feelings about writing about it. I think perhaps the publisher should call the shots as to what they want, but I'm pretty sure this will take a full book. Then, should I a) go ahead & try to write all the text myself (I *can* write) or b) should I share the writing credits with another writer? I have my reasons for wanting to have help, experience (or lack thereof! :D) being one, also I feel the need for an experienced person to give it an objective second-person look. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

dolphingirl

I love to hear personal information in a LWB. Why you picked an image. Or a story behind the imagery. Meanings are great but it is the personal stuff that draws me in. Unfortunatly most LWB are just the standard meaning fare.

Also please dont' skimp on the miors :)

archeon

Re: What about sharing the writing duties?

danubhe said:
I am in the midst of creating my deck (the holographic one!), & it will be very innovative in several respects; however, I have mixed feelings about writing about it. I think perhaps the publisher should call the shots as to what they want, but I'm pretty sure this will take a full book. Then, should I a) go ahead & try to write all the text myself (I *can* write) or b) should I share the writing credits with another writer? I have my reasons for wanting to have help, experience (or lack thereof! :D) being one, also I feel the need for an experienced person to give it an objective second-person look. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

As a first time writer myself, I agree that it is somewhat of a daunting task. I think the rewards of doing the work yourself will be greater in the long run, especially when you're able to look back on your accomplishment... and there's certainly nothing saying that you can't ask for help when you need it.

Though if you really think it necessary to take on a partner, then that can provide a great learning experience as well, especially if the partner is someone who is a able to bring something complimentary to the mix.

I'm more of a "too many cooks spoil the soup" person myself, so I prefer to go it alone, but I can see the positives and negatives of both approaches...