Eeek! Er, em - well, I suppose it's a compliment

baba-prague

I thought this might make anyone who has been reading the various discussions about copyright infringement both laugh and - perhaps - shriek in horror:

http://www.wretch.cc/album/album.php?id=wclurru&book=13

I have to say that I take it (I think?) as a compliment - and we do know that our "Bohemian Cats" in particular tend to be liked in Japan and Taiwan - which is great.

I do just wish this page was a LITTLE less busy. But, well, I have to say it made me laugh as much as anything - and I get the feeling it's meant nicely.
Poor old Hermit though - somehow it does seem the most inappropriate card to choose!

Annabelle

Oh my . . . that's hysterical!!! You are right, it is a compliment in a way; at least you know someone out there likes your work (erm, likes it enough to steal it, even!). But wow, that web page is awful!

So how do you handle it when you run across this type of thing? Just laugh it off, or try to contact the webmaster and ask them to remove your images? Or in a case like this one, would language be too big of a barrier to even make it worth your trouble to worry about it?

ciliegia

ehm.if it was in japanese.I could understand what it means and I could say anything to the webmaster..

baba-prague

We mostly just laugh it off unless the person is actually either being offensive, pretending it's their work, or in some other way being damaging. But fortunately this hardly ever happens and mostly it's just this "oh I like that image, I'll use it" kind of thing. A bit frustrating but also harmless. Actually, we did have a very charming email some time back from someone in, I think, Hong Kong (or maybe Taipei?) asking for permission to show cards, so there is no generalisation about where people are from - it seems everywhere you get people who are polite enough to ask, and those who aren't. But then again, I suppose this person MAY have asked and we may not have been able to read the email? (we do get a lot of various foreign language spam and maybe we can't always spot the real letters.)

I just wish she hadn't used The Hermit though ;-)

wizzle

That was a perfectly awful website. But I'm sure the person who put it together truly loves your cats. Think of it this way, at least they had the good taste to buy the deck. Maybe there is hope for them.

BTW, I read all sixty some pages about the creation of the BBC last week. Thank you for sharing the experience. What an awesome and incredibly creative endevor. I can only goggle at the work that went into your approach. I bought the deck after I finished reading the thread and can't wait until it comes. It will be so much richer and more meaningful to me knowing how much effort and love went into it's creation.

baba-prague

wizzle said:
BTW, I read all sixty some pages about the creation of the BBC last week. Thank you for sharing the experience. What an awesome and incredibly creative endevor. I can only goggle at the work that went into your approach.

Thank-you. I'm really surprised but pleased that you read that thread - it goes on for ever with lots of ups and downs (and panic at one point when I realised we used a female cat for The Magician! - although now I like that.)

It was actually a bit of a mad endeavour. After doing Tarot of Prague we were in an odd way drained as far as doing another really deeply esoteric deck was concerned. But we wanted to do something special, beautiful - and readable. So that's how the Cats came about. The deck is actually surprisingly serious to read with - but in a whole different way from Tarot of Prague. BBCats is essentially a theatrical and fantasy deck.

BUT, when we began we really had no idea of the crazy amount of work it would be. It all seemed quite straightforward (don't these things always?) I doubt that we will do a deck in this technique again, although certainly we will be doing books.

Ah- well, actually, I suppose I should say that the See of Logos deck (the one we are doing in collaboration with Rachel Pollack) will use a somewhat similar technique - but no cats! (oh, well, we might sneak in one cat...) I think it will also be a very time-consuming piece of work - just doing the initial sketches took a lot of time. Worth it though I think. It has real potential. It IS stretching us though - a wonderful but demanding deck to do :)

Simone

Yeah, the Hermit is utterly out of his realm there...

The "party" feeling their other fotos convey does clash horridly with the card :eek:

Maybe it is best to laugh :laugh:

gregory

Have they never heard of the Cats' Protection League. How truly awful. It is odd that at times (and ONLY at times !) it has a link to e-bay.... strange. I wonder what it actually is - are there no Chinese readers among us ? I did manage to work out that it's taiwanese, if anyone else hadn't ! - if you hover over some of the links...

But at least the Hermit looks "above it all" - almost like a prisoner, poor thing !

baba-prague

Yes, we sell to a shop in Taipei, and in fact seem to get quite a lot of Taiwanese hits on our websites. I'm not sure what to say about this really. The combination of imagery really is er - garish I suppose is the kindest description. It's strange, but I do feel a little protective towards the cards, but well, not a lot to do except throw up my hands in horror and have a good laugh!

wizzle

If you could see your way to posting a few of your agonies with the new deck, I'm sure you would have an avid audience. Just the title...See of Logos... is so enticing that I MUST know about it.

p.s.

EEEeeeeeeeeeekkk....I got my cats today!! Solstice eve. At least a day prior to when I expected them. Too wonderful. Now I have to read that whole thread about creating the cats once again. Thank you .. Thank you.. The Magician is beyond words the best Magician I've ever seen.

I think I'll go put out some cat food for my neighborhood strays....