tarot bag

MareSaturni

I'm not sure if this question belongs here, but since it's related to making things for you deck..well...feel free to move it.

This is a question for those who make bags for your decks...how do you that? And more importantly, which fabrics do you think are better? Also colors, symbols to sew on it (if you sew symbols at all) and things like that.
I need to make bags to my decks so they won't get worn out so quickly.

Thanks in advance!

:TPW Yuko

HudsonGray

Don't use any stretch fabric that would be best for swimsuits, the stuff just doesn't hold up. Ditto for polar fleece, it's got too much stretch in it, for my taste.

If you go with cottons or cotton blends, they'll take wear and tear the longest and the fabric doesn't snag like nylon or rayon. And if you're using sewing machines, it's always easier to sew seams on fabric that isn't trying to slide apart (some polyester is really terrible about this). But you CAN make bags out of most fabrics.

I think someone posted a site where it showed the steps to making a round bottomed drawstring pouch, a while back (December?), and I know there's sewing sites that carry info on it too. The hardest part is actually stringing the cording through because one string goes around to the right, the other string goes around to the left (so both cords are in the same channel, just exiting on opposite sides). If the channel is large enough, you can use a small safety pin attached to the end of the cord & slide it through that way, that's easiest.

On the ones I've made, I make them lined, with the last opening on the bottom inside part. That gets closed too, but all the other seams are hidden and out of sight this way. The cord gets sewn in on the side of the bag and I tie them closed rather than doing it the drawstring way where you just pull. It cuts down on the sewing/putzing time for each bag by quite a bit when you do it that way. I've heard of pouches made with a top flap that goes down and attaches with a button, snap or velcro, too.

Check the fabric at the store. If it's sheer, it'll probably catch on something & tear at some point, those just don't last long. If it's able to be snagged, make sure its not the kind of fabric that will 'run' like a snagged nylon stocking, I think that problem is mostly with knits. And if it's an unusual kind of 'homemade' fabric like some of the batiks that have hit the stores lately, check to see that the dyes are permanent, I had a blue and a red batik actually rub off colors on my purse and jeans, which was very unexpected. I think those particular batiks came from India, it was a special purchase at the store. I didn't pre-wash it for the project I'd used it for, so it was probably my fault.

Oh, and check the cording you want to use too, some start to fray on the ends when cut, you'll have to tie a knot in the end to stop it from destroying the last 3" of the cord ends. Also give them a good tug in the store before buying, some don't stand up to pulling too well and can snap.

TarotGirlJess

i make my own bags. i have made them out of silks and out of cottons. i prefer cotton.. it feels more durable to me. i just decided about how big i wanted it to be, and i cut a rectangle of fabric. i then sewed a hem? in it and ran a piece of cording through it.. i gave it some extra of course. and at the spot where the bag would be folded in half i made a little slit and pulled the looped end of the cording through.
i turned the soon to be bag inside out and sewed the remaining 2 sides with a quarter inch seam allowance.
did not decorate my own. i made one for Mrs k and i put a celtic flavor cross on the loop of cording. you could do almo0st anything to decorATe your bag. you could
1) sew symbols, initials on it
2) sew on pendants, trinkets
3) applique it
4) embroider on it
5) leave it plain
you can scent it with essential oils or insence

as far as colors, i picked ones for me that i was drawn to. one has itty bitty faerys on it yet another is purple leaves. there are about a gazillion options. Good luck
TGJ

HudsonGray

I found some tutorials -- http://www.supereggplant.com/archives/000404.html This is for a drawstring pouch. Same here: http://www.taubenfeld.bravepages.com/PouchInstructions.htm

This one describes making 2 bags and putting one inside another like pillowcases... http://www.bayrose.org/wkneedle/Articles/Demi-sun.html
But really that's like reinventing the wheel!

This is what I do-- Cut an outside piece and inside piece that, when folded in half, would be wide enough and deep enough to hold your deck. For the Robin Wood deck I used pieces 10" high and 11" wide. Put right sides together and sew the straight edge together along the top (the 11" width).

Open it up, and fold it in half the long way, still right sides together. On the 'outer fabric' side sew along the narrow bottom section first. Then pivot the bottom edge and sew up the side (it'll be sewing in an L shape with these steps), but remember to tuck in the cording an inch and a half down the side of the outer fabric just below where it joins the inner lining--I cut a cord 2' long and double it over, the bent part will be on what's currently the 'outside', and make sure you don't catch the strands in your sewing, keep them pushed towards the folded side to avoid that. I go over the cord a few times with the machine so it won't pull out and is anchored securely. Complete sewing up the long side of the L till you reach the top. Leave the top small opening in the 'lining section' unsewn.

Turn the bag right side out, fold over the open edge by 1/3" and sew closed. Push that down inside the bag. It's done! But if you want to sew around the upper lip of the bag at this point, you can do that as well. It's really not needed, as the lining stays inside just fine. You can modify the final dimensions by whatever degree you need, to fit the different decks. Since you can get a few pouches out of 1/2 yard of fabric, make a practice one and if it's too small just save the pouch for Christmas to package something inside for someone. They make good gifts and can be filled with chocolates, beads, anything that you want.

MareSaturni

Thank you so much HudsonGray & TGJ for the ideas and the tutorials. I liked the way you do it, HudsonGray, i guess i'll...copy you :p. And TarotGirlJess, good idea about the oil...my tarot decks are kept in my incense drawer so they have a good smell...i wouldn't like them to lose it.
We have a sewing machine, though i'm still getting some practice at it...well, what way is better to practice than making pouchs for your tarot decks!

Love & Light

Major Tom

miss_yuko said:
I'm not sure if this question belongs here, but since it's related to making things for you deck..well...feel free to move it.

Part of the process of self-publishing a tarot deck is the packaging. One type of packaging is a tarot bag. I think this discussion belongs on this board. :)

Does anyone else make tarot bags?

Sulis

I used to make very simple, unlined velvet bags (I found some very cheap velvet pillow cases so I couldn't resist).

I've recently started making some lined bags, I'm using cotton now and it's much easier to handle and sew than the velvet was.

I think you may find this thread interesting: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=38896

There are some very good links in that thread - if you're looking for bag patterns :)

Love

Sulis xx

PlatinumDove

Wow, some of these ideas are really good....getting me to thinking I need to invest in a sewing machine at some time. :)

Moonchild1721

I haven't made any bags yet, because my greatgrandmother used to sew, and made alot of drawstring bags that I have been using. Some of them are crocheted, with a more durable material for the lining, and others were made out of a silky material with a lining also. I'll have to look a little closer at them to see exactly how she made them. As my tarot collection grows, I'll have to get more bags to put them in!
Samantha

MareSaturni

Sulis said:
I used to make very simple, unlined velvet bags (I found some very cheap velvet pillow cases so I couldn't resist).

I've recently started making some lined bags, I'm using cotton now and it's much easier to handle and sew than the velvet was.

I think you may find this thread interesting: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=38896

There are some very good links in that thread - if you're looking for bag patterns :)

Love

Sulis xx

Thank you so much Sulis! That link was really helpful...now i feel ready to make my own bag (will i be successful? hum...i don't sew very well). Just need to ask mom her sewing machine...or sew it myself, i have two hands that can be used afterall :p

Love