The Ultimate Reductionist Deck

AlexTM

Grrrr ...
OK, another try - this is a website I am webmaster of, and not quite supposed to use for my personal stuff. Then again, I know nobody will complain - and the ISP is reliable.

Mayors:
alex-mayors.jpg

Court cards:
alex-courts.jpg

Minors:
alex-minors.jpg

Greetings from Cologne,
Alex

ArcanoMáximo

Now works very well!!!
i love it, very original and clear,
a totally fresh and different vision!
Thanks to share this work Alex!!!
AM*

Arcana

Yep, works for me! Both the links and the cards ;) Good work Alex! And thanks for sharing (and for going through so much trouble to do it).

AndreaM

These are really cool - I especially like the courts.

AlexTM

Thanks a lot for the kind comments!

The court cards - well, I had lots of trouble getting behind the court cards, so to speak, that is, behind LWB (or big books) meanings. It was Rachel's idea of Place, Knower, Gift and Speaker that made them click for me. From there, I was even able to work myself back through the more traditional court card interpretations. (Although let's not even mention the "red-haired women" and "brown-haired young men" style - my only gripe with the Old Path. Not only did this never click, it immeditately counter-clicked the first time I heard of that :D )

Greetings from Cologne
Alex

mythos

Gosh ... I can't believe that I missed these. I love the concept ... while I've been know to ramble on about ideas which becomes too reductionistic and simplistic and thus loose meaning, you have nonetheless won me with these. I guess that is because, while draw as simple images, they themselves evoke the depth and complexity of tarot, without one having to be knowledgeable in a wide range of symbol systems which have been overlaid over it. Yep ... it works, and works well.

mythos:)

AlexTM

Thanks a lot, mythos -- I have been relishing in this posting for a few hours now. About time I answer, don't you think. ;) Actually, I started out to draw a "reminder deck" - one I could carry with me easily and use whereever and whenever I wanted. Just one with the basics, for a beginner, to remember the "real" cards.
But I did find that I had made more than I had set out for, if I may say so myself. Now, I am not quite content with all the cards, and I would love to try a lightly coloured version one of these days, but I do find that the images are quite useful to meditate over the essence of the cards -- as opposed to all the attributions they have acquired over the years. There is nothing wrong with runes, astrological signs, hebrew letters, and whatnot, only, they can sometimes distract from the basic meaning, I think. (Not to mention that for each of those there is more than one system out there as well.)
Especially if you are, on the one hand, a beginner, but on the other you have started to realize that there is more than one deck, and one interpretation of a card out there; but that in the end, usually they are about the same idea, in the platonic sense. (Not that I am a particularly "platonic" person, usually, but hey, he had a couple of great concepts!)

I'll let Einstein have the last word for now: "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

(Very flattered) greetings from Cologne
Alex