Keying my set of cards

makaveli610

Hi, I'm new to this particular art and just purchased a set of cards. I am in the process of researching each individual card. My question is this: before I begin the use of the deck, I was told i had to key it. So I was wondering, what do I need to key the cards and how do I do it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AJ

Welcome to the AT forum, this is a wonderful place to soak up a lot of learning. Also to sort out myths and misinformation.

Can you be more specific about what you think 'key a deck' means?
I've not heard of that term, but I've read a lot of odd suggestions related to new decks.

My first thought would be that you write a 'key word' on each card. I wouldn't recommend it myself. The Majors in the deck will have the name of the card on it, the minors will probably (not knowing what you've purchased) have the suit and number on it.
The problem with key words is none of the cards will always mean the same thing each time you use it. For instance in a daily draw of a single card, the card might mean something totally different to you, vs. what that card might be expressing within a spread done for someone else.

Hope that doesn't confuse...

Furnacechant

I think what might be meant is by it is attuning yourself to the deck by means of some personal ritual---This is sometimes accomplished by means of some literal magical ritual such as burning incense and sleeping with the deck under your pillow for a specific number of nights, but I think more practically by simply looking through the deck and familarizing yourself with the cards, meditating on each for a few minutes.

Of course, if you like to have a more formal ritual as well( I like to find a special reading cloth for each deck, but that's easy for me because I sew and have lots of fabric around to choose from), that is well and good, but I definitely think just looking over the cards and getting a feel for them before using them is the most important part.

makaveli610

hey

thanks for the replies. What I meant in my first post is this:

The complete set of cards are representative of a universe per say. And that to use them for personal reasons I would have to familiarize the deck to my specific "universe" by means of ritual or other things. Poster #2 confirmed what I thought this would entail, since i have hear that it can be considered something as simple as reviewing the cards, performing a ritual, or even as dramatic as using large amounts of rare reagents to personalize the deck. I think what i will do is just get a feel for them and maybe do some small meditation type executions with the cards.

I just wanted to make sure that i have all my I's dotted before i begin a lengthy summer of studying every cards, all possible meanings, and all the varoius layouts.

Umbrae

makaveli610 said:
I just wanted to make sure that i have all my I's dotted before i begin a lengthy summer of studying every cards, all possible meanings, and all the varoius layouts.

Well, I personlly attune by shuffling cards while watching baseball. Now if you fell that you must sleep with your cards on a night with a full moon while your feet point south and whilst humming Die Zauberflöte - that's a personal choice and not mandated by the Tarot.

And you cannot study all possible meanings. You can read books about what others think cards may mean. However when you read for strangers, all that goes out the window. Card meanings are dynamic. They shift and twist depending on the spread, the surrounding cards, and the sitter.

Most aspects of reading the Tarot for others, cannot be taught by books, but only by reading the cards, in real conditions.

Enjoy your summer!

Lewen

Umbrae said:
And you cannot study all possible meanings. You can read books about what others think cards may mean. However when you read for strangers, all that goes out the window. Card meanings are dynamic. They shift and twist depending on the spread, the surrounding cards, and the sitter.

Most aspects of reading the Tarot for others, cannot be taught by books, but only by reading the cards, in real conditions.

This has to be the most freeing thing I've read in ages and just confirms the fact that you can learn so much before you just have that "a-ha!" moment and it just clicks. While I love my books and it gives me insight into things, it helps for me to remember and know this. Glad I caught this! :)

frelkins

Umbrae said:
Well, I personlly attune by shuffling cards while watching baseball.
ROFLMAOASMTMN!!!!!

red11

Wow, I feel like an idiot. I totally thought you meant "keying" your cards, like someone with a vengeance against you would key your car? Actually make marks in them with a key! :laugh: I was eagerly waiting for replies to this thread, wondering, "Now why in the world would one do that?" :D

Ha, I learned something today....

rebecca-smiles

You can learn the meaning of each card before you use the deck, but my personal recomendation is that you don't.

I tried that when i was 11, 13, 17, and about 21. Each 'learning the tarot' lasted no more than 2 days. it was stifling and very boring. yeah the cards are great to know individually when you are familiar, but this was like a tesst on something remote from me. i only started learning, and fast, when i just played with them and did readings straight away. I did use a LWB for about a month, then wanted to have a go on my own.

Enjoy your cards first, the learning will come with it.

tabi

LOL I refer to it as "tuning" the cards to you and your personal vibe...Keying almost makes me think of the key words and phrase on the card.

Do what you feel is best for you. Personally I like sitting there shuffling the cards for no reason or purpose but to have them and feel them move in my hands. I have never slept with any of them under my pillow though...mostly because I'm afraid I won't be able to find all of them the next morning.