Druidcraft Study Group - 10 Pentacles

coyoteblack

Maybe after all the work to get to the 9 when he finally starts his new life he realizes that monetary stuff does not matter as much as family and his comfortable home?

I think early in life with little experience the gold and glitter matter a lot but when he gets to his age he knows gold tarnishes and can go away but family is eternal

MissCW

I just thought I'd add an observation to this thread because I was wondering if anyone else had had the same.

Since I got the Druidcraft, I am finding this particular 10 pops up in troubled relationships more than any other (in its upright position but coming across as a negative). It either appears to signify the relationship is coming to an end or as a block to the relationship. I've had it for quite a few different people this way too now.

It took me a while to read it this way, as the 10 of Swords used to be my "over" card but not with this deck.

I'm not saying everyone will get it for this, but it would be interesting to see if anyone has. Maybe its because I am always drawn to the old man in the card, and the look of utter boredom on his face, to me he looks like he would rather be anywhere than where he is!

Nagual24

This card confuses me. I don't feel much from this that sits with the traditional meaning. Perhaps except for being financially secure. But this old man is bored! He knows that his financial wealth offers no excitement or depth. He sits there wondering "what else is there. I've earnt all this and now what? My family is secure and stable, I'm stable, now what?". It feels like the people in this card depend on him and turn to him for advice and guidance. They put him on a pedestal (unconcisously influenced by his ideals). They have been heavily influenced by what he feels is right. By what he knows works in life - "money and making it". I feel like the old man is sitting there realising he worked hard and now wonders what for as he is definitely unfulfilled. The woman in the back (daughter maybe) looks after his house, the young son behind him seems like a disappoinment in his eyes (i don't how i get that) and the young girl is too young to think for herself. This card often pops up to mean financial success and stability in my readings. But for everyhting else it's boredom and realising what you have achieved and wanted too but isn't really what you did want. A bit of Ace of swords (lightbulb) moment, but not so sudden. More a drawn out realisation but with the power to manifest change (pentacles afterall). This card has so many levels.

MissCW

I feel like I've had a breakthrough with this card tonight, for once I haven't seen the old man as bored! The 10 of Pents in this deck I have really struggled with mostly because of that look on the old man's face which doesn't fit too well with most descriptions of the 10 of Pents of happy stability, security etc etc.

I was doing a reading and the card popped up as actions together with the Hermit. All of a sudden, I didn't see him as bored, I saw him trying to have a good long think about things, and trying to find the space and peace in that noisy scene to do it! Admittedly, the Hermit helped me come to that conclusion but if you look at him, the old man does seem to be trying to tune out all the distractions.

I can relate to this, I do it at work all the time. Have you ever had something on your mind (not work related!) that you really need to think about but you keep getting interrupted with work things, or friend wanting a chat etc. And you end up trying really hard to focus and shut everyone else out but can't get 5 minutes peace to do it?

I'm still not sure this fits with traditional interpretations but I thought it might help anyone stuck on the "bored" expression.

sharpchick

That's the way I see the card also. WolfSpirit said a similar thing.

The grandpa has worked hard and gotten much for his family. He needs a break right about now. The expression on his face says to me that he is feeling a need for solitude, and feels the demands of his family pressing on him.

Aedrielle

For me, the story in this card is:

The old man's son and his son's wife are moving into his house because his son is recently married and his wife is moving in to join their family. The son was taught by his father to work hard and you'll be able to provide for yourself and your family, and he is doing just that. He shows a look on his face that says he's experienced some long, hard days of work and can now fully understand and respect his father for how hard he had to work to get them to where they are.

The young girl I think is the younger daughter of the old man. She looks too old to be the daughter of the son and his wife. I think the old man loves her, but is ready for her to marry and move on. I think she's ready, too, she appears to be in about the same mood as her father.

Overall, I think the mood of this card is good. It shows a family that works hard and has much to show for it. They are prosperous and happy, and sometimes with that can come a feeling of being overwhelmed.

Chleo

I don’t think he looks bored. I’ve seen this look in more than one older man in Mediterranean countries. It’s the look of the patriarch who has worked hard all his life to reach his goals, who has been successful (he obviously eats well and is well dressed) and who is enjoying being surrounded by his family. Because the material well-being of those he loves is a sign that he is a successful man (it’s a Pents card). I will add that behind the look of “seen it all, done it all”, he is very sentimental. He needs to be surrounded by his family, even if he puts on a face that seems to reflect boredom to some, he needs to be needed. But he doesn't want to show his feelings because it would make him look vulnerable. And, to me, the son looks like he could be bowing to his father (a sign of respect) and, at the same time, offering support (it made me think of someone pushing a wheelchair).

Caedryn

To me the DC 10P has a different meaning than most other decks.

I see the male at the back of the sofa the old man lays on as being a demanding person, give me money for this or that, and his closed fists indicate an aggressiveness or an intense need to his character...he wants money and needs it for whatever. The young girl by the sofa is an accomplice incognito to the young man, and she awaits the decision of the old man very intently, but pretending to be uninterested. The female in the background is keeping tabs on what is going on.

The old man, he is sick and tired of the demands 'how much longer is this going to go on for' is what his look is telling me.

So, I see it as a card about the height of family finances, but a lot of planning and scheming going on b y younger family members...the old guy knows what it is all about...money, greed, and power.

Just my take for what its worth.

~ C

Adelante

Has someone noticed the strange place at which the figures are pictured? I used to think they are in a house or something like a cottage at least, but today I noticed that there is no way they can be in a house, because there are some snowdrops in the foreground of the card. But if the structure behind the old man is just a back of a throne or big chair, then the woman at the background should be outside as well and she can't be outside with that darkness behind her.

Have you noticed that and what do you think? Where are these figures placed according to you?

Sulis

Has someone noticed the strange place at which the figures are pictured? I used to think they are in a house or something like a cottage at least, but today I noticed that there is no way they can be in a house, because there are some snowdrops in the foreground of the card. But if the structure behind the old man is just a back of a throne or big chair, then the woman at the background should be outside as well and she can't be outside with that darkness behind her.

Have you noticed that and what do you think? Where are these figures placed according to you?
Why do you think it can't be a house because there are snowdrops in the foreground? It looks like a house to me; the woman in the background is standing in the doorway and the older man is sitting outside.