Druidcraft Study Group - 10 Pentacles

Willow Huntermoon

I too think that this "Grandfather" is related to the figures closest to him. I think the look on his face is saying "what now?" The young man and woman in the backs cloths seem more peasant looking than the Old man and his young daughter with the dog. I get the impression that the son has come back to him to ask for more money...I think him and his wife are opportunist taking advantage of the wealth and good will of the old man. Almost looks like the son is distracting the father while his wife is taking the money. I also too agree that this is an outdoor scene and the darkness is a symbol of taking something that is not yours under the cover of darkness. But the old man is wise he know exactly what is going on in front of his eyes and behind his back and thus the look on his face. He hopes better for the younger daughter for she has been loyal displayed by sitting at his feet and interacting with the wolfhound which could be looked as a symbol of loyalty and friendship.

Disa

My first impression of this card today is that the old man is sick and the young man was in the pose of pushing a wheelchair. I get the impression that the young family is moving in with the old man to try to take care of him in his old age or because of his illness. The little girl is just bonding with the dog because she isn't interested in helping with things at this stage, she's just trying to entertain herself.

I didn't really get the impression that the old man was bored, but maybe that he just didn't like being in the position where he needs help, since he's always been the provider. To me this card is about family rallying around to help in a time of need. I feel the old man is probably contemplating his life, he does seem to be in deep thought-where have I been, what have I accomplished, what's coming up for me now, that sort of thing.

If the card is to be about Blessings, Prosperity, Legacy as is suggested by the keywords in the book, then I feel this is a card about appreciating what you've got, Counting your blessings, and passing them down to the next generation.

flipperjane

understanding the 10 of Pentacles

I was surprised when I looked at this picture. What I see there doesn't seem to chime with the book. The keywords in the book are blessings, prosperity and legacy. BUT the picture looks as if he is resigned to life and looks thoroughly fed up and she looks downtrodden and tired. Nothing much seems to indicate happiness on this card.
Confused.

sparkles

which deck are you looking at? On the rider I see an elderly man with a younger couple and child and to me I see that, as a ten, there's the end of a cycle which I think refers to the elderly figure who has built up wealth/abundance but is now lacking in either will or ability to take care of these things so is passing it on. There's a poignancy to this card as I can see all the blessings in it but also the tiredness of the old man and maybe the sadness of younger generations knowing that someone they care about is coming to the end of his cycle if that makes sense?

flipperjane

which deck are you looking at? On the rider I see an elderly man with a younger couple and child and to me I see that, as a ten, there's the end of a cycle which I think refers to the elderly figure who has built up wealth/abundance but is now lacking in either will or ability to take care of these things so is passing it on. There's a poignancy to this card as I can see all the blessings in it but also the tiredness of the old man and maybe the sadness of younger generations knowing that someone they care about is coming to the end of his cycle if that makes sense?

er - this is the Druidcraft study group so I'm looking at that one. I like your interpretation of the card though but it doesn't quite flow with the description given in the Druidcraft book. I'm hoping for some light to be shed on this for me by a Druidcraft wallah :)

sparkles

er - this is the Druidcraft study group so I'm looking at that one. I like your interpretation of the card though but it doesn't quite flow with the description given in the Druidcraft book. I'm hoping for some light to be shed on this for me by a Druidcraft wallah :)

ooops sorry, i'd just woke up from an early afternoon nap so clearly wasn't on the ball :D

Disa

I was surprised when I looked at this picture. What I see there doesn't seem to chime with the book. The keywords in the book are blessings, prosperity and legacy. BUT the picture looks as if he is resigned to life and looks thoroughly fed up and she looks downtrodden and tired. Nothing much seems to indicate happiness on this card.
Confused.

Blessings, prosperity and legacy aren't necessarily happy things. I think Sparkles hit on it whether looking at this deck or not. A legacy is something you pass down once you are gone. They are preparing for the old man's demise in some way- whether it's happening now or when, but it will happen. There is work to be done before the time comes- not happy work. The card is often seen when there is a passing of someone, an inheritance, a will, that sort of thing.

flipperjane

I just thought I'd add an observation to this thread because I was wondering if anyone else had had the same.

Since I got the Druidcraft, I am finding this particular 10 pops up in troubled relationships more than any other (in its upright position but coming across as a negative). It either appears to signify the relationship is coming to an end or as a block to the relationship. I've had it for quite a few different people this way too now.

It took me a while to read it this way, as the 10 of Swords used to be my "over" card but not with this deck.

I'm not saying everyone will get it for this, but it would be interesting to see if anyone has. Maybe its because I am always drawn to the old man in the card, and the look of utter boredom on his face, to me he looks like he would rather be anywhere than where he is!

I got this today - I've just started to use Druidcraft recently and I love it. I got the 10 of Pentacles in a spread and I felt it was someone turning away from a situation, being closed off (as if the card was reversed but it wasn't) and the feedback said that that was exactly what was happening. Interesting.

Yuliya

This card is about legacy, prosperity and blessings, according to the book. I do agree with others that something isn't quite "right" about the card and the old man. So after some thought I wonder if the legacy of the family is to stick together, even if sometimes we don't always cooperate with each other. The grandfather has worked hard all his life, and is resting now, he wants some peace and quiet but he also enjoys his family around. The young man, came home after a long day of work, he has a half smile on his face- a new found respect for his father- he has worked hard. The young man is learning how to earn a living and maintain the family's prosperities. The young girl in the background is "managing money"- she is hanging up the pentacle- it appears to be almost glowing in the dark with a blue light- a sense of hope, calm, money stashed for later- she is learning her future role of matriarch in the family and to keep household, manage money etc. The young girl in the foreground is connecting with the dog- enjoying her childhood. They are all together, yet they are all individuals- each with their own responsiblity and pre-occupation on their mind. But- if one needs help, all will be there. This family has boundaries and respect for individuality, and a sense of responsiblity for others in their family.