Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

shamoness

Choices

I purchased a standard size copy of the Universal Waite and found to my dismay that it was extremely heavily laminated. Yuck! At first I thought I'd just return it and go with the Robin Wood. But then I was struck with the idea of distressing the deck. I am doing that as a project but have decided to go with the Robin Wood. First instincts are the best. So the choice made and now that I've shared it here I'm committed.

I'll be starting the weekend of the Solstice. Finish up my other projects first and start out fresh and new. A good way to begin the new turn of the wheel.

Alamaris

Well, I believe I've decided... I'm giving myself until the day of to decide for sure, but as of now, its the Thoth. I was considering the Egipcios Kier for a while, but its just too complicated for me at the moment. I look forward to studying it in the future.

My rules are going to be very few, and quite relaxed:

* Shuffle at least once a day, even if I don't do a reading.
* Attempt to do a larger spread once a week.
* Read Duquette's book, and if I'm feeling brave, the Book of Thoth.
* I will not read with another deck until the IDS is over, although I am allowed to shuffle other decks.

A friend and I did a few experimental readings with my new Thoth deck, and they turned out well. I'm looking forward to getting to know the deck a little before the IDS starts.

thorhammer

Yay! Alamaris! I'm in great company with you and my own Thoth deck! But not for a little while - still with the Wheel of Change :)

\m/ Kat

afrosaxon

IDS Readings?

Does anyone want to do IDS readings with our chosen decks for this round?

Knight of Wands and PeterS spearheaded the IDS readings during the first IDS, and they went okay.

Thoughts?

T.

Owl Song

Glad to see you back, Promise. :) And good to be doing my IDS with you. That doesn't sound silly at all--you feeling that you have a special bond with the Minute Tarot or that the deck is so special it deserves your time and attention. I feel the same way about my Fairytale. I deeply admire the artistry and ingenuity that went into its creation. Working closely with the deck, cutting the cards from the sheet probably made it feel more "yours." I think that's wonderful.

Skimo, I love the Universal Fantasy and almost chose it for my study. The Fantastical is also a very fascinating deck from scans I've seen, although I've never worked with it. I look forward to hearing your choice.

Alamaris, I think many of us are streamlining our rules this time around in a good way. I feel less pressure on myself for some reason this time around.

When I woke up this morning I started to second guess my deck choice. So I pulled out the Fairytale and did a one card draw. I drew the 10 of Wands which tells the story of the Sorcerer's Apprentice.

If you've seen Fantasia then you know the story of the sorcerer's apprentice who is asked to clean up his master's work space while the sorcerer is away. The apprentice decides to use magic and animates a broom and pail of water.
Everything goes awry. Once he has started the magic, he cannot stop it and the whole place is in danger of being flooded. The sorcerer returns just in time to save the apprentice and we never learn the apprentice's fate after that.

This card so perfectly illustrates why I am doing an IDS. I find that lately I am reading more about Tarot, especially about what decks other people are contemplating using, buying, etc etc than actually reading Tarot. I'm getting more caught up in what I COULD have than in what I DO have. I want to enjoy the decks in my collection. I want to get to know them and spend time with them. I love the forums dearly but sometimes we can all get caught up in this frenzy to accumulate.

The scene on the card I drew has a chaotic and noisy feel to it. It's exactly how I have been feeling in regard to Tarot lately. I am so glad I have chosen the Fairytale. It is the right deck and I know that after 3 months of intensive study, I'm going to have a much richer appreciation of it and for Tarot in general.

I'm excited!

Owl Song

afrosaxon,

I'd be interested in doing some IDS exchanges. Definitely!

Alamaris

thorhammer said:
Yay! Alamaris! I'm in great company with you and my own Thoth deck! But not for a little while - still with the Wheel of Change :)

\m/ Kat
Yay, company! Have you ever used the Thoth before? I tried to, way back when, and ended up trading it away, getting a large one, trimming it, trading it away, then finally getting this one. Whew! But from what I've seen of its capabilities now, I doubt it'll ever find itself on a trade thread.

afrosaxon said:
I'm definitely up for it. I've fallen in love with the Celtic Cross spread (I know, I know) and I need some practice... not only reading with the CC, but with the Thoth, and for other people. I know I want to exchange with you at some point, afrosaxon! I love your reading style. :D

Prism

Starlily said:
I hope Prism doesn't mind if I steal her pledge; it is exactly the commitment I want to make.
Quite the contrary, Starlily. I'm flattered! And I have been lusting after that Fairytale deck, so I'll be very interested in how the IDS goes for you, Starlily. But I need to get over those lustful thoughts! I'm excited at the thought of working with the Golden.

I just ordered a couple of other decks, in spite of my new commitment. But they will just have to wait for me.

Afrosaxon said:
Yes!

Promise

IDS Pledge

My IDS will run until at least August the 15th, starting today.

I will read with only the Minute Deck.

I will try to journal as faithfully as possible in the form of a blog.

I will do my best to do one-card daily draws.

I will shuffle my deck every day, regardless of whether I use it or not.

I will make a serious attempt to do as many readings for others as I can during my IDS period.

thorhammer

afrosaxon said:
My thoughts? I think it's a great idea - go for it! - but I won't be taking part. Until I have my own computer and a good deal more time to sit and read for someone, it's not something I'm comfortable making a committment to do. But I'm sure you won't even miss me! :D
Alamaris said:
Yay, company! Have you ever used the Thoth before? I tried to, way back when, and ended up trading it away, getting a large one, trimming it, trading it away, then finally getting this one. Whew! But from what I've seen of its capabilities now, I doubt it'll ever find itself on a trade thread.
I've never used it, not even for a quick one-card draw when I got it! But maybe I'm giving it too much credit . . . I dunno. My expectations might be waaaay too high *shrug* I'm looking at it as a very intellectual exercise, to begin with. I hope that it develops into a lot more, but for now, I'm interested in immersing myself in the Golden Dawn and all the secrets of the Thoth/Liber T. I'm especially interested in the geometry (I forget the full name of it), that makes certain cards link up, which is one reason I'm going to trim one of my copies of the thing. I'm very excited, but not yet ready to begin, as I'm still going with the Wheel of Change.

\m/ Kat