The Minute Deck

urbandryad

lunakasha said:
Wow....mine would look more like stick figures, LOL!!!

*LAUGHS* my tarot DOES have stick figures, thats my theme. :) I never made it to the 'unpublished' list though. But Chronata should have her cards printed! Really! They super duper! :D

Lee

Chronata

I have used this deck to do a couple of readings...and I have been delighted!

Weirdly enough...one of the strangest side effects to using a deck that I made...is that I can see things that are NOT in the card!
Like, my little people start looking truly animated...and show me things that are elsewhere...or perform actions I am not used to seeing on other tarot cards made by other artists!

is that too weird? :D

Anyway...Some musings about the minute deck process....

I think everyone needs to make one of these. Regardless of artistic talent...

After all...it takes very little time out of a day (well...okay...it took me about 11 hours in all...over two days!) you don't have to do them ALL at once! ;)

I am really looking forward to seeing your versions of minutedecks...Imagemaker and Little Buddah, and dee dolly!

It made me feel really good to complete 78 cards in so little time...and made the process of painting the rest of my other deck(the 52 I have to go!)seem far less daunting...and way more possible a task!

to Coredil...I am not offended in the least! But it's just amazing to think that I did an entire deck in the time it takes me to paint a single card of the Midnight Masquerade! Yipes!

So...I promised augerswell a little insight into What I Learned....

One of the interesting things thta came out of this was the subconscious connection I had made between the Magician and Justice....that until now, I have been completely unaware of.
Notice how similar they are...in pose?
I was not using my conscious mind at the time...but the more I thought about it, the more I realize that there is a huge connection to these two archetypes...Manifestation of the Magician...is very much tied to karma and consequences in Justice....

And I sensed a new meaning and interpretation behind other cards that i did quickly...like the 9 and 10 of swords.
For some unknown reason (at the time)I drew a big velvet curtain in the 9 (harking back to the ballroom of the Masquerade perhaps?) and looking over it, I noticed that it implies that the worry and fear is illusionary...like the Wizard of Oz...and disregard that man behind the curtain...it also brought up a feeling of "passing over" symbolism, that has previously been in my interpretations of other cards.

and the 10 ? well, not all the swords made it into the poor guys back...at least one was at his side, implying that he had forwarning and at least thought of an attempt to defend himself...

and I realized that if I continue to refer to the 9 of cups as the "wish card" then there should be some representation of this in the symbols...hence the fairy godmother.....

There are more thoughts here...and still other interpretations as I use them.

Now...for what to do with them...there are so many great suggestions here!

I have seriously considered donating them for a competition here...but i am enjoying working with them so much at the moment, that I am not sure I am ready to part with them yet!

And dear Gardener...yes! They would be a nice gift for a new wee one! But I have already started a one of a kind tarot for her...(baby's first tarot...or maybe the Toddler Tarot?) that is being done quickly too...but not as quickly... as this one was! And it's watercolor! Has a slightly different feel to it!

And as many of you have stated that you would buy one of these...I have entertained the thought of publishers. It's funny that I am more willing to talk to publishers about this deck than about my other one!
We will see...
It has also been suggested to me by my generous spouse that I should try to rescan these at a higher dpi and offer a website for free downloads of it.

...and then there's that dream of selling them on E-bay (with the publishing rights) to whoever wants to give me money to finance my other project! LOL! So terrible...I know! })

But that all is going to wait...while I just enjoy the fact that I have a cool little new deck to play with!

It's even neat to have plain white backs. I really like elaborate card backs but working with the blank white is a nice contrast...and actually helps me to focus!

I love how the cards got messier and faster as they went...the cups took the longest of all the suits...and the swords took the lest amount of time.

And I really am quite delighted and surprised by my courts!
I think I was conscious of wanting them all to look harmonious and elemental, but I had not expected the personalities to shine through so well! And for the pages to look androgynous...which is how I love my pages in other decks to look...that came out so much better than I had expected!

If anything came out of this project that surprised me it was this...
I love doing court cards!!!

If only I could get going on the other deck's courts the same way I did with these!

I love your suggestion Imagemaker...that I should call them Chronata's Minute Deck...Chronata is, after all, the goddess of Time and Perfect Timing...so it is rather appropriate!

I am thinking about a lwb for these that incorporate the idea of doing "minute readings' ...just a series of action keywords for each card that tell you what you should be doing...RIGHT NOW! hee hee!

Anyway...thank you all for such wonderful enthusiasm and encouragement...and for letting me share my creative block breakthrough!

This is one of the reasons why I adore this forum!

Chronata

Some Minute Meanings to go with the Minute tarot!
(only majors at the moment!)

Fool....EXPLORE!

Magician...MANIFEST!

High Priestess...PREDICT!

Empress...CREATE!

Emperor...IMPLEMENT!

Hierophant... BELIEVE!

Lovers...LOVE!

Chariot...GO!

Strength...PERSIST!

Hermit...MEDITATE!

Wheel of Fortune...ALLOW!

Justice...ACCEPT!

Hanged Man...REVISE!

Death...TRANSFORM!

Temperance...HARMONIZE!

Devil...ESCAPE!

Tower...REBUILD!

Star...HOPE!

Moon...DISCOVER!

Sun...PLAY!

Judgment...RELEASE!

World...ACHIEVE!

More to come...:D

Little Baron

Chronata said:
I think everyone needs to make one of these. Regardless of artistic talent...

...Imagemaker and Little Buddah, and dee dolly!

Off to hunt for some felt-tips ...

I havn't drawn in a while so we will see what happens. One of the reasons I would like to do this is to see if I could actually stick to it, carry on, regardless of how 'bad' I feel the art is.

Thanks for the response. It was very interesting to read.

LB

lunakasha

dee_dolly7 said:
*LAUGHS* my tarot DOES have stick figures, thats my theme. :) I never made it to the 'unpublished' list though. But Chronata should have her cards printed! Really! They super duper! :D

Lee

Hehehe....*blushing* :eek:

No offense to you, dee_dolly (or to the creator of the Stick Figure Tarot)....

I guess what I was trying to say is that MY stick figure tarot would not even come close to being in the same league with these other "simplified" decks....

And I TOTALLY agree....about Chronata printing and selling these cards!!!

************if you print them, they will come....************

:p Luna

December Fairy

They are amazing. You are very talented. :)

augursWell

Thanks for the details Chronata. I agree with you on why this forum is so great, I always find my way back here, not so with some other online communities. :)

I love your one word "Little White Lexicon". :) I'm not sure about DISCOVER for Moon though, I'll have to think about that one.

There is a Writer's group on the internet, I'm unable to recall the details just now, where every October they set out as a group to write an entire novel in one month's time. They set a word goal, clear their calendars, and make a race of it. The idea is only to get a rough draft of a full novel, but a fully worked out novel from start to finish. Revising the rough draft comes later. Many of the participants swear by the process but not everyone finishes. It seems to me that your minute deck is along the same lines.

Chronata

augursWell said:
I love your one word "Little White Lexicon". :) I'm not sure about DISCOVER for Moon though, I'll have to think about that one.

Thanks Augerswell!

yeah...my original word for the moon was UNCOVER...which actually makes a bit more sense with the idea of the Moon as illusion.
I also thought of DETECT and DREAM as possible words there too! :)

I love the energy that this little project has generated here in Creation!
and it was super for my creative blockage! I am just thrilled to see other "quick cards'...because they all have such a cool look and feel to them!

Only problem is...it hasn't helped me in the slightest to get my other deck finished!
I am now thinking of other quick little deck projects!

I just started a "happy animal" watercolor deck...and sketches for a watercolor Nutcracker Suite deck (because I really need a Christmas tarot!)

I must be insane....:D

purple_scorp

Chronata said:
I love the energy that this little project has generated here in Creation!
and it was super for my creative blockage! I am just thrilled to see other "quick cards'...because they all have such a cool look and feel to them!

Only problem is...it hasn't helped me in the slightest to get my other deck finished!
Dear Chronata,

I disagree. I think it is indirectly helping you finish the other project. Publish and distribute this deck by whatever means you so desire. It can bring you quick $$$ which can help you financially with the other deck. It gives you choices.......it's a means to an end.

I love the idea of the plain, white back. Often when I do a spread, I will fan the cards out and concentrate and pick the ones that seem to call to me. You could do this so much easier with plain backs.

The toddler deck you are doing for Gabrielle sounds interesting too. Maybe you could do several, pitched at different age-groups....one for toddlers, one for first school years, one for secondary school/teenagers etc.

I think there's a big gap in the market for younger kids. I'd love to buy my 7yo son a deck but haven't come across one that I think is suitable. I don't want to buy a traditional deck. I don't think he would look at the lady and the lion on the strength card and equate that to strength.....hmm, maybe I should get him to do his own deck.....I could explain the meaning of the card and get him to draw what he thinks it means.......yes!

Now, I'm inspired to inspire my kids. Of course, I would not attempt to draw a deck for mysElf.....It would take me an hour just to draw the number on the card, and everything would be purple, lol!

Congratulations, Chronata, keep up the excellent work.

with love
purple_scorp