List of tarot myths

lunalafey

Maybe I missed it, such a long and amusing thread, but what about;
'Tarot doesn't work' I get a kick out of that one every time!

'card meanings are too general'
Ummm, if so, how come I can write a whole page about just one card.
So? What is "too general" supposed to look like?
'you have had your heart broken but a relationship is in your future'
'you have been through some hard times but your hard work is about to pay off'
'yes, they are cheating on you'

Readers are fake/cons'
Unfortunate that there are those that are that have people believing that the honest readers are something to avoid.

'tarot doesn't tell the future, for only God knows our fate'
Define God
Define fate

Funny thing about that Death card meaning death, I don't see this as a myth, for it is not that people believe that the card means that they will die, but it is the fear of death that actually has them wondering what the Death card really means.
There is a scene in a movie and I have to give props to the movie makers.
I guy who read cards did a bad thing and got hit by a bus. His suitcase broke open and out flew his tarot deck. A close up of his face with that stare of death, the cards rained down. The card that fell into the eye of the camera,
Wheel of Fortune. Worked for me and got odd looks cuz I was laughing.

Lleminawc

Shade said:
You should never read tarot after a couple of drinks
Well personally, I would never undertake any kind of spriritual practice after even one drink - I think it's important to keep your mind clear. Though I realise that other folks, e.g. The Great Beast Perdurabo, have been of a different opinion.

Ange

Am I ever glad that I just took the time to read through all these posts.... :)

This thread has cheered me up no end and has made me see sense.... :)

Ang x

Morwenna

This thread had me laughing so hard my husband asked me what was going on!

So now let's see...

While reading at renfairs, for money, over 2-day weekends (including Sunday), on a wooden card table, with 3 different decks all having arrived wrapped in scarves (wool and pastel silk) and having been kept in a tote bag together, where there's no time to reorder the cards between clients (of whom there may be at least 20 over the weekend) and candles and incense are out of the question because of the wind and local fire laws and half the time it's raining anyway, making the clients all shuffle the dickens out of the cards, am I setting myself up for an early death and descent into hell after having gone blind, crazy, and bedeviled by malignant spirits? :D

I wear silver jewelry and purple clothes because I like them.

The future never IS set in stone. That's what giving the clients fair warning is all about. :)

I never was given a deck in my life. I bought 'em all. All 20+.

I learned from many diviners (Tarot and otherwise) that a dropped card does have significance, and if you believe that layouts have significance at all it follows, IMO.

I wouldn't want a drop of alcohol in me for at least 12 hours before reading (24 is better) because I need all the focus I can get!

Put me in line for one of those T-shirts, willya?

Grizabella

AJ said:
Everyone raise hands that believes the tarot myth that re-pete-a is Durante Hapke's twin, separated at birth :)

I was wondering.

Maybe a cousin?

Edit to add: I made the above two statements really short and quick because I was eating a piece of cake at the time. :p

I love catching up on this thread. Who would think there could be so many?

LinaBabii

-If you read for yourself, you have to read completely naked because that way you are more connected and natural (hehe, I believed that for a while)

-You can't read if the room you're reading in is dirty

-Decks must be serious with deep symbolism. Fun decks with cutesy pictures are making a mockery of tarot and don't work.

-The tarot will make you and the querent go crazy and then you will die and end up in purgatory.... Satan is the driving force behind all decks (Yes, its been said, but a friend was telling me all about what happened to her mom's friend's uncle's grandpa's boyfriend when he read *nods gravely*)

-You can't buy a deck from something so mundane as the internet. It must be gifted to you either by a gypsy or a pagan with a weird accent who breaks into your house at night during a thunderstorm.

Sinduction

How about:

Tarot was designed as a game and has no business being used for divination.

or

Tarot was designed for divination and has no business being used as a game.

Just stirring the pot. :D

Mabuse

Sinduction said:
How about:

Tarot was designed as a game and has no business being used for divination.

or

Tarot was designed for divination and has no business being used as a game.

Just stirring the pot. :D
Sounds more like an "either/or" fallacy rather than a true myth.

Here's one
Ronald McDonald is a good spokesperson for Tarot. Although I would like to see Tarot cards in the Happy Meals someday!

David92506

I'm Not Sure If This Is A Myth

A tarot computer software reading is not as effective as that given by another human being, or yourself.

northsea

tarot myth - the Visconti-Sforza is the the earliest tarot deck (when stated as 99.9% fact).

fact - it's the earliest tarot, or tarocchi, deck known. There could've easily been earlier ones that were destroyed or lost (as they would likely have been rare and not widely distributed in contrast to a modern US Games deck). The esoteric medieval symbolism on the Tarot de Marseille indicates that such a deck quite possibly existed before the Visconti-Sforza.