Celestial Stick People

oogby

Hello there!

I'm new here, and I was hoping to get your input on a Tarot deck I've been working on called Celestial Stick People. You can see the first 11 major arcana at http://pics.livejournal.com/oogby/pic/0000kb3a/ . A complete set of major arcana, though somewhat out of date at this point, can be found at http://www.oogby.com/gallery.php?id=2 .

I can post more cards later tonight if people are interested.

I'll be perfectly honest -- I know very little about tarot cards; this project started as a simple, dry exercise in design. I have no formal design training, so I like to give myself homework assignments. The goal here was simply to make illustrations that were as expressive as possible, with as few lines as possible.

But, the exercise seemed to turn out pretty well, so I'm seriously considering getting this printed and selling it.

However, like I said, I don't know much about tarot or whether or not tarot enthusiasts would go for something like this, so I'd love to know what people who are really into this think of my designs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rei

these are absolutely beautiful. I'm very very impressed. i would so buy this if it was published ^_^

Aulruna

When I read your title, my first thought was "OMG - what will be next?" But your images are wonderful. Simple and yet intricate and very graceful, all at the same time. And the celestial lights give a wonderfully magical feeling.

Looking forward to seeing this develop!

Chronata

The name is a bit misleading, I think...

It definitely is more "celestial" than it is "Stick People"

I think it's a beautiful, haunting, and has that duality of being both simple and complex.

It reminds me of Alien Hieroglyps.

It's marvelous...you should absolutely continue it and think about publishing.

thorhammer

I like, I like! Especially the Hermit! :heart:

I agree with Chronata, though, the name could be better. I personally don't know how exactly, it being 5am and since I've been up since 3.30 when my cat woke me up (sick) I'm a little out of it.

But the cards are beautiful and very calming. I'd like to see this available to the rest of us as well! Thanks for sharing.

\m/ Kat

Sidhe-Ra

I think it's delightful!

Em xx

Strange2

oogby said:
I don't know much about tarot or whether or not tarot enthusiasts would go for something like this, so I'd love to know what people who are really into this think of my designs.

These are excellent! You could have Fool-ed me that you don't know much about Tarot, as you've wonderfully depicted some of the essential energies of the cards. Definitely would like to see you continue with more cards!

teomat

They're excellent. Even though they look 'simple', they're very evocative and wonderfully expressive.

Have you thought about doing a full 78 card deck? I'd buy it in a heartbeat! :)

Rosanne

Well oogby- you have met your stated goal. They are really great to my eye.
Welcome to the forum- you will certainly learn enough here to complete the deck to 78 cards if you have not already done so. Curious how you went about it ie. did you get a book or a deck and follow the sequence? The process would be interesting to know. Anyways congrats on a great piece of work. I like that they are not numbered so I could swap Justice and Strength around. ~Rosanne

thorhammer

Yeah, to echo Rosanne, I wanna 78 deck too! }) I read better with minors . . .I suck

But I'd go for a Majors-only - this looks like it'd be awesome for meditation and deep thinking . . . :heart: Thanks again.

\m/ Kat