Celestial Stick People

oogby

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all the enthusiasm! I'm glad you like it. I'm afraid I was kind of pooped last night and forgot to post more pictures.

To answer your questions:

For reference, I used the little book that came with a friend's Rider-Waite deck, and also the web site http://www.learntarot.com/ . The major arcana were done first, and after that I basically did one suit at a time, starting with the hearts, then diamonds (pentacles), swords, and quills (wands).

The quills are only halfway done, but other than that, it's pretty much complete. I have to re-draw the other half oth the major arcana because my original file became corrupted.

My wife will be writing the book to go with the deck, though that hasn't been started yet.

And for the technically-minded out there, the cards were drawn with a pen tablet using lots of effects and custom styles in Illustrator.

AJ

ahh...and the tarot would-be-kings say the LWB is useless, she said tongue in cheek...

oogby

more samples

There are some more preview images up at http://pics.livejournal.com/oogby/gallery/0000a28c ... you can see a sampling of the minor arcana now.

I got the suits wrong; they're hearts, diamonds, brushes and quills. And they're not quite as complete as I thought they were... the background textures need fleshing out.

I'll have to fix that...

Vesper

oogby said:
My wife will be writing the book to go with the deck, though that hasn't been started yet.
Be careful about developping a set that can't be split up. Another poster on this forum found out when trying to get her deck and book set published that the big publishers liked her deck, but did not even want to consider the companion book. That deck, stunning as it is, is still unpublished. (I'll see if I can find the thread...)

Oh, and I love your majors. I would definitely buy the 78 card version. As someone else said, it feels spiritually deep, and also very calm, with all that blue.

IndigoWonders

I think it's terrific. Am I reading your last name right...Crick? You could simply call it the Celestial Crick Tarot. That name catches my attention right away. Or even just Crick Tarot. Gotta love Crick! Best of luck in getting published.

sapienza

Certainly an interesting deck in progress. I love all the blue, it is very calming. I will watch with interest to see how the deck develops. I agree with others about needing a name change - stick people doesn't really reflect the feel of the deck. I like IndigoWonders suggestion of the Celestial Crick Tarot!

Best of luck.
Sapienza

Amalthea_In_Fla

oogby, that is turning out to be a great deck! I think I'm going to have to start fleshing out my "wish list" section of my profile and your deck will be going on it.

I do agree with others who have said to take out the "stick figure" part of the name. They are more like wisp people than sticks. :)

Moonsparkle

Pretty neat deck and I will be a dissenter and say I think they look exactly like celestial stick people....stick people with a little extra magical something. The title was catchy enough to get my attention and it's easy enough to spot the stick figures in your pictures. :)

Nice!

-Moonsparkle

thorhammer

So let me get this correct. . . quills = Swords and brushes = Wands, is that right? I'm loving the minors . . . that 9 of Diamonds is just beautiful! I've always connected to the 9-Pents more than any other Pents card, and your counterpart is just lovely. There's a real sense of peace and beauty there.

Thanks for sharing . . . I'm waiting to add this to my wishlist, but I wanna put the right name on it! :p

\m/ Kat

blue_fusion

really good thing going. people made from neon signs comes to mind. the simplicity's a fresh change from most decks. the predominantly black cards also remind me of another product of these forums, the Simple Tarot, done by one of the members here ages ago. (can't find a link to her thread, though. maybe it got archived already)