Restoring A Classic

Hooked on TdM

Ohh the first run of the deck! Major progess! Now I'm really excited! :)

I know there is a thread in this section somewhere (or is it in talking Tarot?) that tells you where to get a pdf file to print off and make the boxes out of cardstock.. Can't find it currently but I will keep looking.. maybe someone who knows will post soon?

Hooked

stella01904

thinbuddha said:
If you like the feel of the unlaminated decks made by Il Meneghello, and you are interested in TdM I, then you will probably appreciate this deck.
:love: :heart: :love: :heart: :love: :heart: :love: :heart: :love: :heart: :love: :heart:
Does anyone have any ideas about boxes?
Speaking for myself, I'd say just wrap it in paper because I'm going to get a special case for it!
:looks around for Grizabella: :laugh:

ETA: I've read that the Camoin Bicentenniel actually comes like that....

thinbuddha

stella01904 said:
I've read that the Camoin Bicentenniel actually comes like that....

It does come in a rather ugly wrap of plain white paper and brown packing tape. I'd like to provide something a little better than that if I can...

The box making generator is a thought. I remember using it once with limited success (I ended up making my own one of a kind box for the Camoin deck mentioned above).

Bernice

Hi Thinbuddha :)

Any further progress with this (much desired) deck? Is it proceeding O.K?

Bee

thinbuddha

Well, I printed out 2 test decks.

I found a paper that is slightly flimsy, but otherwise is pretty good. I wanted to print out a deck to play with for a while to see how well the paper held up. There is no sense selling a deck that won't last.

So I printed a deck and cut it up only to decide that I didn't like the light blue (it was too saturated- too vivid).

So I put test #1 aside, and printed another deck with less saturated blues. I also used a different program for printing (it's a long story).

#2 came out beautiful. The only thing I didn't like was that the dark blue was too dark. It was nearly black. I liked the contrast, but anything other than very bright light, and it looked black to my eye.

Mind you, both of these decks are beautiful. Even today, I look at them, and I love what I see. But I really want to bring the deck to life in a way that I haven't quite found yet...

I have been using #2 for a while now. Maybe about 2 weeks? Anyway- I'm finding that the ink is changing colors! The green almost looks gray on some cards which is not the look I'm going for at all.

I dug out deck #1, and found that the light blue has settled into a more pleasing (but still too vivid for my taste) shade.

Long story short: I'm not so sure that I can trust the printer that I was planning to print with. Will the colors keep shifting over time? Will the deck even look good in a year?

I don't mind printing a new copy for myself once a year, but selling it... I'm thinking that I will need to print it professionally, and I haven't even started to price out how much that will cost. I honestly don't even know how many I should think about printing... It's not like this deck can be expected to have a real wide audience. Maybe 1000 copies, maybe fewer. I guess it depends on the price. At any rate, I have a while to think about it, because I can't afford to print it professionally until after new years...

-tb

Le Marseillais

Printing Costs And Materials

Hello Thinbuddha,

So you are at a turning point...

Many questions arised to me when I read you:

Wich printer do you presently use ? Inkjet I suppose but wich model with how many ink cartridges ? 4 only or a 8 or 10 cartridges (A3 Format so) model.
When you use a Canon model, you have use a full printing chain Canon: Scanner (if any), Printer, Ink cartridges, and Professional Photo paper Canon.
Same for Hewlet Packard and other Trade Marks.
Some Marks guarantys their printing in time for lasting 70 or 100 years.
If you use ALL their printing chain.
Minimum beeing printer + cartridges + paper. Same mark.

ABOUT PRINTING COSTS
If you ask to a card ediitor like PIATNIK, CARTA MUNDI, you have to order for a minimum of 3000 packs. Up to 5000.
You pay more in prorata for 3000 than 5000. This is capitalism laws of course.
To this you have to add for:
A booklet (let say 16 pages)
A... box
Transportation cost

Cards are delivered under cellophane plastic sealed.
Cost: Changeable but finaly, you can think about 2,5 €uros per deck.
Plus box and booklet to add. And transportation.

3000 decks represent a volume of a pallet box (1 Cubic meter probably).

About box, you have to calculate for his decoration/presentation.
Cheapest beeing like Il Menneghelo done I suppose: One color paper with on card stricked on it and a small label on sides.

I am not a professional and accept any dispute about my wording. But one of my colleague is preparing his own deck and just face to same preocupations.

Anyway, I suppose that such deck should attract Collectionors only like me or a wider audience if you decide to work with a card publisher.

I suppose that you did it for collectionors mainly and in this case deck will be costly.

But 3000 collectionors in the world is a reachable target in a middle term project (3-4 years to finish your stock).

I am mad enough to pre order 2 models.
With a smart price in this case ;) ??

PM me for assistance

France is waiting you !

Yves Le Marseillais

SolSionnach

Not to mention, Texas!

(can I hear Hooked on TdM lining up for Canada?)

Hooked on TdM

Yep! Canada is ready and waiting too! ;)

Hooked