Tarot & Sexuality Study Group: Ace of Swords

franniee

If it is a woman she is equally scary! Not someone I want to encounter. Althought I know a few guys who might be intrigued.... not saying much for them ;)

Star-Willow

apocalipstick said:
Working with the possibilities that sketches out, the Ace of Swords looks like a very sexual card, one that portrays an ultimate form of generative expression.

Definately generates sexual energy, strong, take charge of the situation energy too, directing the way that the relationship would go...

apocalipstick said:
Taken by itself, this card could show the start of a strong, vigorous relationship, or the beginnings of such a phase. The fact that both the crown and sword are usually emblems of associated with male figures in western history adds a twist, I think.

Are you saying that this card would lean towards more of a male energy than a female one? I've always viewed this card as *male*. I think it portrays a very dynamic energetic type of relationship, which would ultimately be dominated by the male counterpart.

apocalipstick said:
It can show someone very much in control and confident of sexual expression. Someone who takes no prisoners as it were, and has no problems with various conquests. There is also the suggestion of being domineering - how far this is taken in an intimate context likely depends on the person.

If this card could date, it would call the shots, I think.

Any other thoughts?

*Ducking* as I say this, but I think this card could represent someone who would have a long line of one-night-stands, before encountering the *right one*..... just a thought

Grizabella

I think this could mean rape. Not having a passion base (wands), a lust base (pentacles) or a love base (cups) based in the mind, even though the mind with some serious problems. Rape isn't about healthy passion or lust or love, but it's about issues deep-seated in the mind and about anger. I guess anger is a passion, but I still think the Ace of Swords could be seen as rape with the right surrounding cards----or at least thoughts of it.

Reverie

Lyric said:
I think this could mean rape. Not having a passion base (wands), a lust base (pentacles) or a love base (cups) based in the mind, even though the mind with some serious problems. Rape isn't about healthy passion or lust or love, but it's about issues deep-seated in the mind and about anger. I guess anger is a passion, but I still think the Ace of Swords could be seen as rape with the right surrounding cards----or at least thoughts of it.

Wow, this is really interesting. I would have never made such a connection, but it's definitely applicable and makes so much sense. Have you seen it come up as rape in readings you've done? Or just a speculation?

Grizabella

No, I haven't seen it come up, but it makes perfect sense to me. I'd recognize it if it did and were applicable.

suedeheadsmiths

Wow I'm amazed how many ideas popped up over this. I just hope that we never have to see or feel the more disturbing images involved in this. Quite amazing to me.

Chris

tabi

It's four am, so this may go ayre on me

Just using the RWS deck, the Sword (the male) is entering the Crown (the female) by force (the piercing edge of the Sword) there is a quality of higly sexual content but there is the mental aspect which the Swords alone speak of. The context of this particular card is one of domination, controlling, and getting someone's way. There is a perfect balance in the Sword's blade into the exact center of the Crown, a lot of thought and planning has gone into the conquest. I see all of the different aspects that everyone spoke of, I also see a willing partner in the Crown. The Crown/Female is willing and lets her Sword have the power over her. The subservant one of an SM relationship that is in an extreme stage.

On the flip side you look at the card itself and you see the Crown is the one in the domine position of being above or on top of the Sword. Does that mean that the Crown is in the position of power and control? Or only a prop in the Sword's game?

Gavriela

What Lyric says is true, I've seen both ill-aspected Ace of Swords and Ace of Wands come up for rape. But let's leave that aside for a moment. The other interpretations make sense as well - context is everything.

The Ace of Swords is tremendous force -from both the male and female sides of things. The crown and the sword. The singularity from the singularity.

One hopes that this person will meet their match, cos if they do, the experience will be mind-blowing and intensely spiritual for both.

I can see some of the D/S games happening because whoever's got the sword needs ALL of the other person, they can't settle for less, and that's one way to get it. Which isn't necessarily bad. There are people who need everything because they give everything, no holding back.

Remember, it's an Ace we're talking about here, and that's the power of the entire suit packed into one card.

I'm reminded of Waite's "tremendous force unleashed for good or for ill" here, it seems somehow apropos.

elvenstar

I like everyone's take on this, I agree with most of it, but I'd thought I'd go the other way for a bit :D The Ace of Swords seems like such a cold card at times, all winds blowing and whistling in a barren wasteland, so to me it could also represent someone you'd call 'frigid', someone who due to a past big hurt or many hurts or whatever other reason, has frozen their sexuality, whose mind is so dominant and controlling of instincts, passions and emotions when it comes down it, that it won't relent and let more earthy or sensual aspects come into play. Also since principles and morals are also to me associated with swords, it could represent these things getting in the way. In the Mythic we see Athena on the Ace of Swords, a warrior and a virgin, she's so far removed from sexuality that she was born out of her father's head rather than a mother's womb. So could it not also be air as cold thought as an obstacle to any sexual expression?

iseekserendipity

Hi all! I was planning to just lurk on this thread/in this study group, but feeling particularly concerned - I might date an Ace of Swords at some point in the future - I wanted to post some... well... maybe not as bad traits?

I can see all that has been said so far...

I've read this as this being a person who is domineering, macho, probably jealous and bossy too. Can be kind of cutting (makes hurtful remarks). I know these are not necessarely sexual traits, but they could be used during sex to gain control over the other.

I know that sometimes it's pushing it to find positive traits but... Maybe he's also ... an intellectual, likes to talk (a lot) during sex...?

I admit that's all I found in terms of positivity...

And I wanted to thank Star-Willow for trying to find some not so bad traits to this guy...

Will come back and see what other interpretations come up.
And okay, my own obviously proves that I'm trying to reassure myself! :p