'Understanding the Tarot Court' Study Group #1

Rhiannon

Ok, I guess we should start this group! I think I will use courts from several decks for comparative purposes, but if you want to participate and only have one deck, that's fine too. I'm using the book "Understanding the Tarot Court" by Greer & Little, but suggestions on other exercises or books are also welcomed and encouraged.

I think these threads will act as our tarot journal, but if you'd like to keep a sepearate one that is great too.

The first exercise in the book is about finding your significator. They suggest getting rid of at least half the courts in the first try. Questions to ask:
Why do these cards not represent me? The answer could be it is too old, it is male/female, too young, wrong sign, wrong hair color... whatever.

Then from the remaining cards pick a card most like you. If one doesn't jump out right away, then go through each and compare them to get the right one.

Once you have the card that is MOST like you, select the card you think is LEAST like you. In the book, they call this your "nemesis".

Write how your chosen significator is most like you. Write how your nemesis is least like you. They suggest to think of your nemesis as someone you are competeing against, why wouldn't you win a contest against them? You may also want to write down your impressions of some of the other courts that you identified with.

Have fun!
R :)

Link to index page: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?threadid=32366

hyatt

In a class I took recently we took a personality test the Myers Briggs and then it was corresponded with the courts. I ended up being the Page og Cups. I can see it so I have stared using that card as myself recently even though I am fond of the Queen of Swords.
Now for my enemy - I just loath the King of Pentacles. Normally it doesn't even matter the deck I just don't like the guy. I think that he is a total opposite of me.

Rhiannon

I've chosen the Queen of Swords as my significator and the King of Pentacles as my "nemesis".

The Queen of Swords has been the card I've always associated myself with. I can see parts of myself in some of the other cards too, but this one is the closest to my personality. She is strong and logical. She is intelligent. She is a leader. She is a mother. She knows what it is to feel loss. She can look at a situation without allowing her emotions to cloud her judgement. She is not afraid to voice her opinion and say what she means.

The King of Pentacles is my nemesis. He is opposite of me because he is a man. ;) I don't neccesarily see him as a bad guy, I don't even really dislike him. I just know that he posseses qualities that I do not. He is good with finances and making decisions. He will give advice to those who are in need of it, but I get the feeling that he most often gives his advice for a fee. To me he is a lawyer, or benefits coordinator, or maybe an accountant. He uses his brain for money, not creativity, unless you count tax forms. :)

Here are some images of these 2, from the Fey Tarot and the Halloween Tarot: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/RGareth/QueenKing.jpg

And here is a card I did of myself as the Queen of Swords: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/RGareth/QueenSwords.jpg

mooncat2

I am the Queen of Cups - there is no escape , thats who I am although I long to be the Queen of Swords.
A mother, too emotional, a bit too self sacrificing - now I work on the intuitional and creative gifts I know I have - somewhere!

My nemisis - I hate doing this - not fair to the King Pentacles that no one likes him. Its not that I don't like him, I just can't relate to him - too materialistic, money minded - he reminds me of my brother who always says that for him ' money is the bottom line' - the opposite of the way I think.

Rhiannon

LOL, mooncat! Yeah, poor King. All alone with his money.

The Queen of Cups came in a close 2nd for me, so I know what you're talking about.

ambermoon

I am the Queen of Cups, relating to situations based on the people involved and how they interact. My strengths come out in a cooperative environment, not a competitive one. I have some of the practical creativity of the Queen of Staves, but that is more of a skill I have than the force that defines me.

My nemesis is the Queen of Swords, because she seems cold and critical to me. I worked for her for several years, and never became accustomed to her blunt and forthright ways, nor her constant belief that no matter how dedicated you were, you should aways do more. The minute you won her praise, she expected you to reach higher.

In contrast, the King of Coins doesn't really trouble me. I don't relate to him very well, but he seems to keep to himself, and when we interact, it's on a distant and professional level. He has no power over me because he lacks the emotion to touch my spirit. Most of the commuters on my train are suited and scurrying mice (see how powerless I visualize the coins to be?), noses deep in their financial journals. And then there is me, colorful, reading an art journal, and wearing my painted gold sneakers. I am invisible in their world, and the are but soft shadows in mine.

These are the courts that stand out most to me. I am not a seasoned reader, and the courts are difficult for me. What I am trying to do is find a person in my life experience who personifies each. Then, when I see the card, I will think of that person and their traits will come to mind.

I'm glad for this study group, because it will help me focus on these cards.

ambermoon

Rhiannon

I think your approach of relating the courts to people you know is a good one, AM. I do the same thing. My hubby is the Knight of Pents and my best friends' sister is the Queen of Wands. :) It does help to flesh out the cards into real people.

hyatt

I agree. I am always the page of cups, my husband is normally the knight of swords, but sometimes he is the knight of wands in a certain deck, my mom is the queen of wands, my father in law is the king of pentacles and his new wife is the queen of pentacles.

I think once you start knowing the personalities of the courts you start making certain relationships with them. I know how my father in law would react in certain situations and then that gives me clues about what the king of pentacles would do since they share the same brain. It helps.

lunalafey

well- I got rid of 5 cards the first round....
Due to me association with horses- I did not get rid of a couple of knights.
In my second round- I'm down to 4 cards-
I'm looking at my Native American deck- and the cards I have are
Warrior {knight} of Blades (swords) and Vessles (cups)
and the Maiden {page} of Shields (pentacles) and Blades.

The other court titles for this deck is Chief {queen} and Matriarch {king}. The Females hold the highest position in the suit- for it was the elder females that the tribes-people looked to for what to do when faced with a situation.

Well I ended up with the Maiden of Shield's which I knew I would, but still went though the elimination process.

As I am heavily influenced by Earth in my astro chart- there is a good foundation to have this as my significator.
The Matriarch was just to much of an elder- and even though I hold alot of responsibility and control over things - I am not quite as 'established' or respected as an elder.

The image of the card shows a maiden holding a rosette- a mandala. She probably made the rosette out of quills of beads.
Both are things I work with in making jewelry- infact I have made quite a few rosettes as well. This is a person who is just starting out in the material world- for me, I'm not exactly strting out- but from where I stand, it does not look like a great amount of progress. Perhaps there is something of this court that I have yet to instil into my life.
Behind the Maiden is a Deer- lol- which happens to be one of my totem animals, representing gentleness.
I get 'walked on' more than normal, due to my quite & kind nature.

Choosing a nemisis was not an easy thing, for all the courts are quite ....?.... honorable in manner. But....one of the Matriarchs is a bit scarry looking, a person who I would fear to cross. Her expression is hard and she seems that if she became mad- someone is going to be in BIG trouble.
SHe is the Matriarch of Pipes {wands} She has the capability to 'burn' one with her actions. The pipe she holds is for ceremony and offerings. She has both good and bad to give. Here 'bad' is not evil, but one of putting her people- or other living nearby, into thier proper place if they get out of line.
Now I personally do not have a problem with authority when it's above me, and I don't have problems being a head of a 'crew', infact I am very effective getting people to work together.
But there are those times when I face resistance and rather than demonstrate my appointed 'power'-- I just turn away.
A down fall, no follow through on my part.
So both sides (others in my charge, as well as myself) are reflected in this card. The fire of resistance and the attitude that goes with it from others and then the flip-side for me, not having enough fire to fight the fire.

Brandaluna

Finding myself in the court is fairly easy. I can really see myself in the Queen of Swords. She's intelligent and honest. She cuts through the crap to get to the heart of the matter. She hates being told what to do, and she wants to see things clearly. I also relate to her connection to air because I'm an air sign (Aquarius).

Finding my "nemesis" on the other hand was hard for me. I can see bits of myself in most of the cards. As I took away cards to get down to the card that just wasn't me, I realized that my final four were all the Wands. Somehow, at that point the selection was easy, and I picked out the Knight of Wands. I've seen him associated with my moon sign (Sagittarius), but I just don't get him. He seems so flashy. He's always going, and he doesn't seem to think before he leaps. He's passionate and impatient, and while I can see positives in him, I find it hard to relate to him.

I find it interesting that while air, fire, and water are represented in my sun, moon, and ascendant signs, I feel a close connection to earth but not to fire. Sometimes I wish I had more fire in me.

I wouldn't win a contest against the Knight of Wands if winning meant relying on intuition and acting quickly. I like to research things and take my time. I value intuition, but my intuition is more back-up to research than the sole purpose for action.