Shuffling well with long nails?

MadeiraDarling

I'm not much good at shuffling cards in general and the combination of long nails and small hands makes it difficult to shuffle well. Is there a technique that will make this work well?

earthair

I think long nails would make riffling impossible, so maybe turn the cards sideways so they are narrower and do hand over hand?

I think long painted nails look so good in unboxing videos on YouTube though :bugeyed: Nothing says tarot-glamour like picking a card from a fan with nice nails.

barefootlife

How long is long? I have tiny hands and my thumbnails go at least 1/4in past the ends of the fingertips and I've figured out riffle-shuffling. I grip the deck about 1/3 of the way down and only riffle the very top corners, though, so that when they're shuffled together the cards make a ^ shape. Then I (gently) slide them together. If you have really long artful acrylics, though, that still might not solve your problem.

CrystalSeas

The three main ways of shuffling are

Riffle: inter-weaving the cards on one edge and the allowing them to move together into a single stack

Overhand: Dropping a few cards at a time from the top of one stack to the bottom of another

Stirring, smooshing: Laying the cards on a flat surface and moving them around face-down

To put a deck into a really random order

Overhand shuffling needs to be repeated about 10,000 times
Stirring needs to go on for about 1 minute
Riffling takes about 7 repeats

MadeiraDarling

About 3/4s of an inch past the fingertip, and stirring seems like a suitable method for someone like me.

lantana

I wonder if my long nails are why I've never had much luck riffle shuffling... Oh well. I always assumed it was bad motor skills.

I hope stirring works well for you, MadeiraDarling! I haven't had most of nails below the white in years and overhand has been a minimal issue for me, but it just might take some getting used to.