variations on how to read a 9 card spread?

annie27

I am a beginner with Lenormand and would appreciate some insight as to how to read the 9 card spread. I have noticed some variations in the temporal sequence of this spread. Some read from top to bottom (past /top;present /center;future/bottom). Others from left to right (past-present-future). Which is the traditional method?

andybc

I don’t think you’ll ever find a definitive traditional method.

I read them by columns (past, present, future) as that are what I learnt off another Lenormand reader.

Some people attach meanings to the horizontal rows, such as hopes et cetera, but I don’t. I've found that muddles the reading a little.

I just read the middle card (this is theme of the reading), then corners (this is what is going on around the theme, the question), inner cross (the answer), columns (past, present, future), diagonals (extra information) and then if needed 1 & 3 + 7 and 7 & 9 + 2 (extra information).

annie27

I don’t think you’ll ever find a definitive traditional method.

I read them by columns (past, present, future) as that are what I learnt off another Lenormand reader.

Some people attach meanings to the horizontal rows, such as hopes et cetera, but I don’t. I've found that muddles the reading a little.

I just read the middle card (this is theme of the reading), then corners (this is what is going on around the theme, the question), inner cross (the answer), columns (past, present, future), diagonals (extra information) and then if needed 1 & 3 + 7 and 7 & 9 + 2 (extra information).

Thanks, this helps immensely.
Is there a recommended site for card combination meanings. I just ordered the Sylvie Steinbach book. Hopefully this will help as well in learning this system.

andybc

Thanks, this helps immensely.
Is there a recommended site for card combination meanings. I just ordered the Sylvie Steinbach book. Hopefully this will help as well in learning this system.

There isn't really. In simple terms you have A + B and A is the main theme, and is described by B. Think of A as a noun and B as an adjective. You could Mama Whodun's blog Language of Lenormand or Alyna"s Lenormand Draws. I have a post on my blog on how to build combinations.

Sylvie's book is about the No Layout so you won't learn the tableau or 3 x 3 there. To be honest, you can access more solid info on the net. Look at Ronia's posts, Serena Powers site, and try the random Q&As. You will get more that way than a book that is 70% combination lists.

annie27

There isn't really. In simple terms you have A + B and A is the main theme, and is described by B. Think of A as a noun and B as an adjective. You could Mama Whodun's blog Language of Lenormand or Alyna"s Lenormand Draws. I have a post on my blog on how to build combinations.

Sylvie's book is about the No Layout so you won't learn the tableau or 3 x 3 there. To be honest, you can access more solid info on the net. Look at Ronia's posts, Serena Powers site, and try the random Q&As. You will get more that way than a book that is 70% combination lists.

Will do. Thanks for the information.

Ronia

Thanks, Andy. :)

I read the 3x3 almost like a GT actually. I look at the core (focal card), the "cross" - on both sides, above and below the focal. Then I take row by row, column by column and diagonals. Basically all the stuff. usually the core+cross is the key info. The rows and columns juts tell stories like phrases or sentences. Diagonals sometimes add something, sometimes not so much, depends really.

Honestly, I think you should try and see in real life what will work for you. It's a nice spread, one of my favorites, not too big but rich in info and you can easily follow how it plays out in reality. I do it every week, a weekly draw. This way I can follow how it plays out and know where I was wrong quickly. :)

annie27

Thanks, Andy. :)

I read the 3x3 almost like a GT actually. I look at the core (focal card), the "cross" - on both sides, above and below the focal. Then I take row by row, column by column and diagonals. Basically all the stuff. usually the core+cross is the key info. The rows and columns juts tell stories like phrases or sentences. Diagonals sometimes add something, sometimes not so much, depends really.

Honestly, I think you should try and see in real life what will work for you. It's a nice spread, one of my favorites, not too big but rich in info and you can easily follow how it plays out in reality. I do it every week, a weekly draw. This way I can follow how it plays out and know where I was wrong quickly. :)

I have absolutely fallen for this system. It feels like an old shoe. Thanks for your advice. Annie

birdsong123

I am a beginner with Lenormand and would appreciate some insight as to how to read the 9 card spread. I have noticed some variations in the temporal sequence of this spread. Some read from top to bottom (past /top;present /center;future/bottom). Others from left to right (past-present-future). Which is the traditional method?

I created a video on how to do a 9-card Lenormand spread here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TKAj6OnpBk&feature=player_embedded

and there are more video samples on how to do them here:
http://www.divinewhispers.net/lenormandlessons.htm

They are a lot of fun to do.