9 card spread, reading columns

FlickM

Hi all,

I'm new to Lenormand (began exploring it about 10 days ago) and am finding it confusing sometimes after so many years reading tarot. I very much like the 9 card spread and am reading it as follows: central card is theme, corners add more info, diagonals, central cross. Then I'm reading the horizontal rows as strings, then the vertical columns as past, present and future. Everything seems to flow except for the vertical columns; I'm not sure whether to read them from the bottom up or the top down. My intuition seems to freeze and my brain seizes up over them. Am I overloading the spread?

I'm still finding the transition from the multi layered symbolism of tarot to the tighter language of Lenormand perplexing at times, plus my spatial awareness/left right problems make reading pairs challenging too, so this may be adding to the muddle. Any advice would be much appreciated.

DownUnderNZer

Hi all,

I'm new to Lenormand (began exploring it about 10 days ago) and am finding it confusing sometimes after so many years reading tarot. I very much like the 9 card spread and am reading it as follows: central card is theme, corners add more info, diagonals, central cross. Then I'm reading the horizontal rows as strings, then the vertical columns as past, present and future. Everything seems to flow except for the vertical columns; I'm not sure whether to read them from the bottom up or the top down. My intuition seems to freeze and my brain seizes up over them. Am I overloading the spread?

I'm still finding the transition from the multi layered symbolism of tarot to the tighter language of Lenormand perplexing at times, plus my spatial awareness/left right problems make reading pairs challenging too, so this may be adding to the muddle. Any advice would be much appreciated.

1) Make sure you have the basics down with the Lenormand meanings to start with if you havent already.

2) Maybe try 3 cards in a row to start with from left to right and read them from Past to Future although personally I like KEY CARDS so as to give a focus point. eg Man for Man/ Tree for Health.

Keep it SIMPLE before trying all types of spreads and especially what you just described above as that seems rather complex and in depth for you and for you to find it so confusing says plenty. 3 cards can give you just as much as an answer and less confusiing. :)

FlickM

many thanks

Yes, I've been intensively learning meanings etc (I always learn this way, throwing myself in and going full steam ahead - I was the same with tarot). I started with small spreads as you suggest, but the 9 card spread seemed to speak to me. The only thing I find confusing about it is whether to read the vertical columns top to bottom or bottom to top, or even if it matters. The rest of the spread makes sense and I've been getting good results with it. i think, for me at least, the overload factor and confusion is par for the course with any sort of learning as my natural right brain bias is overwhelmed with left brain activity. It always clicks in the end.

Your input is much appreciated :)

DownUnderNZer

Yes, I've been intensively learning meanings etc (I always learn this way, throwing myself in and going full steam ahead - I was the same with tarot). I started with small spreads as you suggest, but the 9 card spread seemed to speak to me. The only thing I find confusing about it is whether to read the vertical columns top to bottom or bottom to top, or even if it matters. The rest of the spread makes sense and I've been getting good results with it. i think, for me at least, the overload factor and confusion is par for the course with any sort of learning as my natural right brain bias is overwhelmed with left brain activity. It always clicks in the end.

Your input is much appreciated :)

Some just do past, present and future with the 3 by 3 or 9 card spread and that varies...some do horizontal and some vertical. I dont think it is a set way. :)

FlickM

Some just do past, present and future with the 3 by 3 or 9 card spread and that varies...some do horizontal and some vertical. I dont think it is a set way. :)

Thanks, that's what i suspected.