4 worlds and pschology

patrickjutte

hi there,

I'm new to this subject so I have a question"
Can someone tell me the connection between the 4 worlds of kabalah and the 4 psychological levels. I know about the archangels, godnames etc, but I'm curious about the tree on a psychological level.

greetings Patrick

Fulgour

hi patrickjutte

Janet Berenson-Perkins wrote: "The emotional life of the ego and psychological consciousness exist in the world of Yetzirah. Human beings have both the capacity and the responsibility to develop their awareness of the relationship between body, emotion, intellect, and spirit. Although today the heart is seen as the seat of the emotions, many ancient traditions, including Kabbalah, viewed the heart as the center of knowledge. Even today we often say 'I know it in my heart' to express an understanding beyond reason."

Then there's some stuff about the word lev ~ pretty cool!

Dulcimer

patrickjutte said:
hi there,

I'm new to this subject so I have a question"
Can someone tell me the connection between the 4 worlds of kabalah and the 4 psychological levels. I know about the archangels, godnames etc, but I'm curious about the tree on a psychological level.

greetings Patrick

Hi Patrick and welcome!

I have a couple of questions for you:
1) When you say "psychological", do you mean Jungian/Depth psychology?
2) When you say you know about the archangels, etc., what do you know?

Brammetje

interesting question,
I wonder what these 4 psychological levels are you are referring too.

This is what I have found:
taken from: http://www.arthurmjackson.com/wchap13.html

"He hypothesizes that there are four psychological levels of integration or control. The first, called the hedonic level, refers simply to the effects of pleasure and pain in organizing and selecting forms of behavior. This mode of control is quite primitive and is found in all organisms, even the very lowest. Its effect is to move an individual towards a source of pleasure and away from a source of pain."

(p. 70) "The second level of integration Rado calls the brute-emotional level....'basic' emotions of fear, rage, love, and grief....In a sense the overt behavior is an amplifier of whatever feeling state exists in the organism."

"Rado calls the third level of integration the emotional-thought level, and it is associated with a notable increase in encephalization of the brain."

"At this level of control, emotions are more restrained and more mixed. Derivative emotions appear such as apprehension, annoyance, jealousy, and envy."

"The fourth level of regulation of action Rado calls the unemotional-thought level. This involves the mastery of events by rational, intellectual means alone. The key elements of such mastery are foresight and postponement of reaction. Reason can overrule the evaluation of events determined by immediate feelings of pleasure or pain and can lead an individual to engage in painful means designed to achieve pleasurable goals."