Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996

· Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Gallery Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Marseilles & Other Early Decks

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!

brendanxx 
Resident

Grigonneur deck

I'm very new to tarot and I'm making a very small collection of traditional decks. I have the Waites and Visconti and now am looking for the Grigonneur cards (I know it's just some of the major arcana) and an as close to the original as possible(not brightly recoloured for instance) Marseilles deck. When I search for these I find it very confusing - there seem so many variations at widely differing prices. Any help would be appreciated to help me acquiring the oldest versions of the Marseilles and Grigonneur decks.
Thank you
Brendan
brendanxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #1
Philippe 
Citizen

First, it's Gringonneur

For this one you have the Estensi (LoScarabeo) easily available :

http://www.albideuter.de/html/este.html

otherwise there are older editions by Gilles Hipeau (one coloured, the other B&W) now out of print and the huge Atorel deck

TG ChVi by PhilBeDaN, sur Flickr

charlesvibwcards by PhilBeDaN, sur Flickr

Charles VI géant by PhilBeDaN, sur Flickr

Last edited by Philippe; 04-01-2017 at 22:01.
Philippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #2
brendanxx 
Resident

Gringonneur deck

Many thanks, Philippe,
I Looked at the Lo Scarebeo deck before but was confused because I thought there were only 17 cards remaining of the Gringonneur deck (if indeed any at all are remaining").
The other cards you have shown don't at all look 14th century, more modern redrawings of other cards. Am still confused!
Best
Brendan
Old 04-01-2017 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #3
Philippe 
Citizen

Yes, there are only 17 remaining cards, including a Page of Swords. Missing cards are the fool, the magician, the high priestess, the empress, the wheel of fortune, the devil, the star.

The minors of the Golden Renaissance Tarot are taken from the Palazzo Schifanoia' s frescoes

Here is the original in the Bibliothèque Nationale :

http://gallica.bnf.fr/services/engin...ll%20%2215%22#

I recommend you zoom in on each card, it's stunning

Last edited by Philippe; 04-01-2017 at 23:42.
Philippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #4
brendanxx 
Resident

Grigonneur

Thanks Philippe - yes they're wonderful - strange that the first are still, to my mind at least, the most beautiful and powerful - amazing too that it's possible they were created just to distract a mad king!
Old 05-01-2017 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #5
DeToX 
Citizen

Fantastic photographs on the BnF site. Thanks for the link.
DeToX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #6
Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Taking a step back, I'm fascinated by Berti and Dworkin's reconstruction using the frescoes, and will probably buy the deck. It will give me a new model to work with for the scenic pips. But I'll never again be able to think of the 2 of Wands without seeing a castrated man, the 8 of Swords as an imminent beheading or the 9 of Swords as a standing, decapitated figure with flames (or maybe it's gushing blood?) coming out of its neck. Thinking about it though, the modern take on the 8 of Swords (almost total sensory deprivation) and 9 of Swords (abject mental anguish) aren't that far afield from these images. I'll have to ponder some more about that 2 of Wands, though. Maybe that man in the RWS version has his separated "manhood" (the staff and the globe) in his two hands and is trying to figure out how to reconcile himself to that.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by Barleywine; 06-01-2017 at 00:00.
Barleywine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #7

Latest Threads in Tarot Decks

Latest Threads in Talking Tarot

Latest Threads in Using Tarot Cards

Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade your account to subscriber today