Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Mary El Tarot - The Lovers

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Tarot Study Groups > Individual Deck Studies > Mary-El Tarot


 
Requiella's Avatar
Requiella  Requiella is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 15 Sep 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 252
Requiella 
Citizen

Requiella's Avatar

I'm really liking the biracial aspect.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #11
Bat Chicken's Avatar
Bat Chicken  Bat Chicken is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 28 Feb 2006
Location: Imagination
Posts: 6,775
Bat Chicken 
Citizen

Bat Chicken's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra View Post

And the apparent unfolding-ness of the Fibonacci sequence in the shell is like a developing embryo. The ridged surface is an inside-out vagina.

Or something. Or everything It's wonderful.
......

So far, this card, the Hierophant and the Fool put me in mind of Frieda Harris's painting style. Great swirls.
Yes! I agree that there is that element of projective geometry in this card.
I love the idea that the sequence is like a developing embryo. Very cool idea, Debra!

Is everybody OK with me just barreling on with the cards? I kind of feel that I have been taking over. Shall I continue or let somebody else have a go at starting the threads?
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #12
RunningWild  RunningWild is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 22 Mar 2010
Location: Kalamazoo Michigan
Posts: 1,934
RunningWild 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Chicken View Post

Is everybody OK with me just barreling on with the cards? I kind of feel that I have been taking over. Shall I continue or let somebody else have a go at starting the threads?

Please do! I still don't have the physical deck yet but my journal on the deck is filling up nicely already
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #13
Debra's Avatar
Debra  Debra is offline
sporadic magic
 
Join Date: 21 Sep 2006
Location: .
Posts: 15,130
Debra 
sporadic magic

Debra's Avatar

You rock, Bat! Chicken!
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #14
Bat Chicken's Avatar
Bat Chicken  Bat Chicken is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 28 Feb 2006
Location: Imagination
Posts: 6,775
Bat Chicken 
Citizen

Bat Chicken's Avatar

Awesome, thanks, folks.... I'll get on the next one this afternoon.

RW - I haven't got it yet either! Hopefully in the next few days....
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #15
Laura Borealis's Avatar
Laura Borealis  Laura Borealis is offline
pirate borealis
 
Join Date: 23 Feb 2004
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 17,790
Laura Borealis 
pirate borealis

Laura Borealis's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Chicken View Post
Yes! I agree that there is that element of projective geometry in this card.
I love the idea that the sequence is like a developing embryo. Very cool idea, Debra!

Is everybody OK with me just barreling on with the cards? I kind of feel that I have been taking over. Shall I continue or let somebody else have a go at starting the threads?
I am totally cool with it.

I was wondering, with the minors/courts -- it might be useful to discuss them in groups or sets, since there are aspects that will carry across suits. I'm thinking of the Aces and the Fours in particular. The Aces are all hermaphroditic figures, the Fours have no human/animal figures in them, etc. What do you think? (Should this suggestion be in its own thread?)
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #16
Bat Chicken's Avatar
Bat Chicken  Bat Chicken is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 28 Feb 2006
Location: Imagination
Posts: 6,775
Bat Chicken 
Citizen

Bat Chicken's Avatar

That sounds like a great idea.
Yes - I think we should open a general discussion thread for that and other general observations. I'll do that this afternoon as well and let Sulis know....
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #17
Eyebright's Avatar
Eyebright  Eyebright is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 17 Nov 2010
Location: South Devon, England
Posts: 2,221
Eyebright 
Citizen

Eyebright's Avatar

Who or what is the woman looking at in the card? She seems to me to be looking at something out of the frame of the card?

Also is the shell bit behind the male figure a part of him or a continuation of the female? I can't tell

The man is white, don't white lillies in RWS mean spiritual purity? And red is for the material world? To me this card looks like the man is worshipping the female, to gain spiritual enlightenment? To free himself from the red physical/material world surrounding him?

Also white= yang which is male energy? Black = yin which is female? Have I got that the right way round?

Has anyone read American Gods by Neil Gaiman? Theres a scene earlyish in the book where a man is with a prostitute (who is really a Goddess) and who has sex with her which is a way of worshipping her and he ends up going inside her (kind of like a reverse birth!)...well this card reminds me of that scene
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #18
Bat Chicken's Avatar
Bat Chicken  Bat Chicken is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 28 Feb 2006
Location: Imagination
Posts: 6,775
Bat Chicken 
Citizen

Bat Chicken's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebright View Post
Who or what is the woman looking at in the card? She seems to me to be looking at something out of the frame of the card?
Yeah, I noticed that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebright View Post
Also is the shell bit behind the male figure a part of him or a continuation of the female? I can't tell
I am pretty sure all the dark shell parts are her. The original Lovers had two dark females. I wonder why she changed it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebright View Post
The man is white, don't white lillies in RWS mean spiritual purity? And red is for the material world? To me this card looks like the man is worshipping the female, to gain spiritual enlightenment? To free himself from the red physical/material world surrounding him?
Love this.. You have a great point here. The only way for Spirit to know itself is through 'other'. You have touched on a great topic for discussion here....

I think there is a Qabalistic element here. I am just reading about it and learning, but my instincts without checking any facts is Tiphareth into Malkuth. I see the Prince and Princess in the visual symbolism, That said, in the age of the figures, I see the King and Queen - which would be Chokmah and Binah, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebright View Post
Also white= yang which is male energy? Black = yin which is female? Have I got that the right way round?
Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebright View Post
Has anyone read American Gods by Neil Gaiman? Theres a scene earlyish in the book where a man is with a prostitute (who is really a Goddess) and who has sex with her which is a way of worshipping her and he ends up going inside her (kind of like a reverse birth!)...well this card reminds me of that scene
That sounds like a book worth looking up. I know his work as a graphic novelist.... I think?
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #19
Eyebright's Avatar
Eyebright  Eyebright is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 17 Nov 2010
Location: South Devon, England
Posts: 2,221
Eyebright 
Citizen

Eyebright's Avatar

It's a really interesting novel, and there is another that is in a similar vein called the Anansi Boys. I believe he does graphic novels as well, very talented man!

Ahhh Qabalah...I know nothing about it! Can you point me in the direction of any books or websites that could help me with this topic? I really think I need to learn it in order to fully appreciate this deck.

In a lot of cultures isn't there the idea of the sacred feminine and men would "worship" the female form (sacred sex), in order to gain spiritual enlightenment? And in witchcraft there is the Great Rite, where the male and female energies unite (through sex)....

I found this paragraph here that I felt resonated for me, "Today the Great Rite deals with the essence of feminine and masculine energy as it relates to the God and Goddess. The idea is that in order to establish true Divinity within oneself, you need to accept and join your two natures together. We are all part masculine and part feminine within our being. Only when we learn to accept the nature of both can we discover the true divinity within" on this website
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #20
 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.