Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Mary El Tarot - The Lovers

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Tarot Study Groups > Individual Deck Studies > Mary-El Tarot


 
Bat Chicken's Avatar
Bat Chicken  Bat Chicken is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 28 Feb 2006
Location: Imagination
Posts: 6,775
Bat Chicken 
Citizen

Bat Chicken's Avatar

Thank you for that link! I'll have a look....

As for Qabalah, the simplest intro is Lon Milo DuQuette's "Chicken Qabalah". With that, books like Wang's Qabalistic Tarot are a little easier to bite into. The latter is the one beside my chair at the moment. It is pretty complex, but worth the effort, IMHO!
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #21
Requiella's Avatar
Requiella  Requiella is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 15 Sep 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 252
Requiella 
Citizen

Requiella's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Chicken View Post
Love this.. You have a great point here. The only way for Spirit to know itself is through 'other'. You have touched on a great topic for discussion here....
Continuing with this idea for a bit, I ran across something this afternoon in _Seventy-Eight Degrees_:

"Notice that while the man looks at the woman the woman looks at the angel. If the male is indeed reason, then rationality can only reach beyond its limits through the medium of passion. By its nature reason controls and contains, while passion tends to break down all limits. Our tradition has set the body and rational mind at odds with each other. The Tarot teaches us that we must unite them...and that it is not the controlling power of reason that raises the senses to a higher level, but, rather, the other way around" (Pollack, 1997, p. 62).

Although Pollack is interpreting the traditional RWS Lovers card, the gist of what she's saying is applicable here. The woman isn't looking at the angel, but her gaze transcends the immediate physical situation.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #22
Debra's Avatar
Debra  Debra is offline
sporadic magic
 
Join Date: 21 Sep 2006
Location: .
Posts: 15,130
Debra 
sporadic magic

Debra's Avatar

But she's apparently passionless--seems to feel nothing.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #23
Requiella's Avatar
Requiella  Requiella is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 15 Sep 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 252
Requiella 
Citizen

Requiella's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra View Post
But she's apparently passionless--seems to feel nothing.
I'm not getting the same thing from this image. I can see where you are; I just don't see it the same way.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #24
Debra's Avatar
Debra  Debra is offline
sporadic magic
 
Join Date: 21 Sep 2006
Location: .
Posts: 15,130
Debra 
sporadic magic

Debra's Avatar

LOL when I look like that my husband tries harder

Anyway, scanning the Major arcana, most of the figures seem expressionless--the exceptions are the Sun, Moon and Hanged Man.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #25
BrightEye's Avatar
BrightEye  BrightEye is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 21 Oct 2005
Location: Venus
Posts: 27,643
BrightEye 
Citizen

BrightEye's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra View Post
LOL when I look like that my husband tries harder
Lol, same here!
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #26
Requiella's Avatar
Requiella  Requiella is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 15 Sep 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 252
Requiella 
Citizen

Requiella's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightEye View Post
Lol, same here!
Ha! Well, put it this way--there's not an expression of ecstasy on her face, no. Yet, her expression is ambiguous enough to read in a variety of things, I'd say.

Let me try to make my point a different way: for me, the card is more about union of opposites than the sex act itself, so I'm not as concerned about whether they look passionate or not. The archetypal energy is there, for sure, in that the card as a whole evokes passion and union.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #27
Bat Chicken's Avatar
Bat Chicken  Bat Chicken is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 28 Feb 2006
Location: Imagination
Posts: 6,775
Bat Chicken 
Citizen

Bat Chicken's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiella View Post
Continuing with this idea for a bit, I ran across something this afternoon in _Seventy-Eight Degrees_:

"Notice that while the man looks at the woman the woman looks at the angel. If the male is indeed reason, then rationality can only reach beyond its limits through the medium of passion. By its nature reason controls and contains, while passion tends to break down all limits. Our tradition has set the body and rational mind at odds with each other. The Tarot teaches us that we must unite them...and that it is not the controlling power of reason that raises the senses to a higher level, but, rather, the other way around" (Pollack, 1997, p. 62).

Although Pollack is interpreting the traditional RWS Lovers card, the gist of what she's saying is applicable here. The woman isn't looking at the angel, but her gaze transcends the immediate physical situation.
I think it very much applies! The uniting of reason and passion... perfect. Reason gets us only so far. However, the 'one or the other' argument is destructive. Thanks for adding the quote, R!
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #28
Laura Borealis's Avatar
Laura Borealis  Laura Borealis is offline
pirate borealis
 
Join Date: 23 Feb 2004
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 17,790
Laura Borealis 
pirate borealis

Laura Borealis's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebright View Post
Has anyone read American Gods by Neil Gaiman? Theres a scene earlyish in the book where a man is with a prostitute (who is really a Goddess) and who has sex with her which is a way of worshipping her and he ends up going inside her (kind of like a reverse birth!)...well this card reminds me of that scene
Especially with the giant bajingo in the background!
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #29
Requiella's Avatar
Requiella  Requiella is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 15 Sep 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 252
Requiella 
Citizen

Requiella's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Chicken View Post
I think it very much applies! The uniting of reason and passion... perfect. Reason gets us only so far. However, the 'one or the other' argument is destructive. Thanks for adding the quote, R!
Sure!
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #30


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.