Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Books Free Tarot Readings Forum Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Thoth Tarot

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your Tarot cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot lovers, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post your thoughts, share readings, search, save threads, view extra boards and more.

post a reply

Le Fanu 
Citizen

My Odd Thoth

I bought a Llewellyn White Box B recently and when I received it I was surprised to see that the Prince of Swords has a very pink back. See attached pics.

I have no idea what could have caused this. The deck is unusable as the card sticks out like a sore thumb when fanned out across the table.

It is evidently a real card, not a photocopy or anything. The front of the card is exactly like the others, same font, same card quality and everything. Just this weirdly pink back.

Very strange. And (I have asked elsewhere in the appropriate thread), if anyone has a broken up White Box B (or maybe even A) and a spare Prince of Swords card, I'd really appreciate it.

Any theories as to how this could have got in with the deck?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pinky1.JPG (197.9 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg pinky2.JPG (202.6 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg pinky3.JPG (187.1 KB, 128 views)
Le Fanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013     Top   #1
GoldenWolf 
Citizen

For some reason, the previous owner left that card out face down and sunlight caused it to bleach and change color OR the printing is a multi-layered process and one of the layers was not applied to that particular card back? That happened sometimes to color copies in the early days of that technology causing odd looking colors like this. Not being well versed in printing technology for cards, the latter is a wild guess.

I'm afraid I don't have spare Thoth decks to help you out though.
GoldenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013     Top   #2
Sulis 
believer in magic

I agree with GoldenWolf, I think it looks as if it's been bleached by the sun, maybe it was left on top of the deck and the deck was left somewhere where strong sunlight could get at it daily... It looks as if the colour has been leached away.

'Give me a packet of peace to taste,
And if you're willing an extra crate of every power to combat hate' Peace Repackaged - Lionrock

'Be excellent to each other' Bill & Ted
Sulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013     Top   #3
gregory 
Cat on a cold stone roof

I agree with Sulis and GoldenWolf - and more so. I bought a Cagliostro years ago - the last one they had - and when I got home there were four cards missing. I went back and complained - and of course those four were acting as samples in the "in store catalogue" thing - they pulled them out and gave them to me. They are very pale and bleached by comparison with the others - and this was four cards that had simply been in a folder, looked at by customers, indoors, for a couple of years.

Light fades things. Even feeble artificial light.

I was going to offer you one from my sick and disabled greenie - but I see that particular card already has a new home...

I is very deaf. Please post loudly !

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
gregory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013     Top   #4
Milfoil 
Bending Clouds

I'm presuming this is a 2nd hand deck. If it were new, I would say that the printing process for yellow and cyan has been missed on the back.
Milfoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013     Top   #5
GoldenWolf 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milfoil View Post
I'm presuming this is a 2nd hand deck. If it were new, I would say that the printing process for yellow and cyan has been missed on the back.
I think Milfoil has eloquently said what I was trying to say in a more babbling way.

Gregory, if they kept the sample cards in a clear page protector that wasn't acid free for that long, those plastic sleeves can cause odd changes to cards, papers, whatever gets put in them. I have seen various forms of plastic yellow the edges of paper I have stored for crafts. I typically can trim away the damaged part and use the remainder, but it's waste of paper. Obviously, this is a little trickier with tarot cards.
GoldenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013     Top   #6
Le Fanu 
Citizen

Thanks for the theories, folks.

You know, I've never seen light do this to cards. I mean, I have seen my dust jackets fade on the bookshelves but nothing this extreme.

It's a bit annoying but it's the risk you take buying 2nd hand. I'm sure another one will turn up one day. If anyone hears anything, you know where to find me... In the meantime, I have enough perfect Thoths to be playing with.
Old 12-01-2013     Top   #7
gregory 
Cat on a cold stone roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenWolf View Post
I think Milfoil has eloquently said what I was trying to say in a more babbling way.

Gregory, if they kept the sample cards in a clear page protector that wasn't acid free for that long, those plastic sleeves can cause odd changes to cards, papers, whatever gets put in them. I have seen various forms of plastic yellow the edges of paper I have stored for crafts. I typically can trim away the damaged part and use the remainder, but it's waste of paper. Obviously, this is a little trickier with tarot cards.
No - they had them on black scrapbook pages using those awful old lick and glue down (*and OH - that glue tasted great... ) cardboard photo corners. I would say - but cannot prove - that it was before the days of those page protectors... late 1970s, anyway.

But Leffy - if it does it to dustjackets, why not to cards which are in the open - so few of us leave cards out for a long time. That would be why it doesn't often happen. Anything fades in constant light, I would say.

Old 12-01-2013     Top   #8
Le Fanu 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
But Leffy - if it does it to dustjackets, why not to cards which are in the open - so few of us leave cards out for a long time. That would be why it doesn't often happen. Anything fades in constant light, I would say.
My dustjackets fade on the bookshelf but they don't change colour. I've never seen that before and this card has changed colour; call it bleached or whatever but it's a completely different colour. I have never seen that.
Old 13-01-2013     Top   #9
gregory 
Cat on a cold stone roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Fanu View Post
My dustjackets fade on the bookshelf but they don't change colour. I've never seen that before and this card has changed colour; call it bleached or whatever but it's a completely different colour. I have never seen that.
One colour can bleach more than another. And I have a few dustjackets that...

Old 13-01-2013     Top   #10
  post a reply

Latest Threads in Tarot Decks

Latest Threads in Talking Tarot

Latest Threads in Using Tarot Cards

Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade your account to subscriber today